Building an HTPC for $300?

A place to talk about GPUs/Motherboards/CPUs/Cases/Remotes, etc.
Dgr_874

HTPC Specs: Show details

Building an HTPC for $300?

Post by Dgr_874 » Tue May 05, 2015 6:01 am

hopefully we can find out soon. I am leaning towards just having a cheap PC stay on 8.1 and act as the home server for my xboxes until they drop support in 2023. But, I hate to spend money on a new PC if the guide data is going to be dropped.

Can anyone point me to a PC build that would be around $300 and would be able to act as the central hub for all my media?

[Moderator note: split topic from WMC 10 thread]

Ed 

Post by Ed  » Tue May 05, 2015 6:07 am

Dgr_874 wrote:But, I hate to spend money on a new PC if the guide data is going to be dropped.
Microsoft isn't/wont say specifically when guide data will end; so that's always gonna be a gamble for you - no matter how likely/unlikely you or anyone else feels about. Just wanna get that out there.

As for a good PC - gotta tell us more about your needs. Will you be archiving DVDs and/or BR's - if so, keeping them 1:1 or re-encoding them? Will you be archiving a large amount of recorded TV, or do you watch and delete? If you're gonna have a large amount of media - do you already have the HDDs, or need those too? Etc. Spare no details :D

Dgr_874

Post by Dgr_874 » Tue May 05, 2015 3:24 pm

Ed  wrote:
Dgr_874 wrote:But, I hate to spend money on a new PC if the guide data is going to be dropped.
Microsoft isn't/wont say specifically when guide data will end; so that's always gonna be a gamble for you - no matter how likely/unlikely you or anyone else feels about. Just wanna get that out there.

As for a good PC - gotta tell us more about your needs. Will you be archiving DVDs and/or BR's - if so, keeping them 1:1 or re-encoding them? Will you be archiving a large amount of recorded TV, or do you watch and delete? If you're gonna have a large amount of media - do you already have the HDDs, or need those too? Etc. Spare no details :D
It will be used for OTA TV only. My gaming PC would do all the heavy encoding and I would just transfer the file later. We mostly do record and delete and don't keep a lot of shows around. I don't have any of the components around, I would have to purchase everything. I would like something that was power efficient because it would be on all the time. I have 4 Xboxes currently running off my gaming PC and would like to add a 5th later this year so it would have to run all those.

I want something that I can just connect all my stuff to, turn off updates, and have it run my tv in the house until something else comes along.

mdavej

Post by mdavej » Tue May 05, 2015 5:11 pm

You can't use a 3rd party guide data provider when/if the time comes? I plan to get at least another 8 years out of my WMC system.

Ed 

Post by Ed  » Tue May 05, 2015 6:09 pm

Dgr_874 wrote:
Ed  wrote:

It will be used for OTA TV only. My gaming PC would do all the heavy encoding and I would just transfer the file later. We mostly do record and delete and don't keep a lot of shows around. I don't have any of the components around, I would have to purchase everything. I would like something that was power efficient because it would be on all the time. I have 4 Xboxes currently running off my gaming PC and would like to add a 5th later this year so it would have to run all those.

I want something that I can just connect all my stuff to, turn off updates, and have it run my tv in the house until something else comes along.
So, this isn't an exact suggestion - just a ballpark of the type of things you should be looking at; to give you an idea -

Also, I'm still not sure/clear on if you're gonna need a large amount of storage; but if so either get some USB HDDs to add to something like this; or look for something with more HDDs from the get-go:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... gnorebbr=1

This only has Windows 7 Pro. So, you can use that, or look for one with 8.1 or get the 8.1 Pro Upgrade and buy WMC pack. Also, it has 2GB RAM; I'd (definitely) get another 2GB stick of DDR3L to throw in there (totaling 4GB), or look for one similar with 4GB from the start.

As for tuners get either of these 2:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6815345015

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6815345014

And just hook it up to your antenna/network.

This should be a good jumping off point to get you started.

glugglug

Post by glugglug » Tue May 05, 2015 7:04 pm

Added this poll on Anandtech:

http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2430321

Haven't managed to find the DVD playback user yet!

Ed 

Post by Ed  » Tue May 05, 2015 7:12 pm

glugglug wrote:Added this poll on Anandtech:

He's probably too worried about what you'll do to him when you find him :lol:

Embiggens

Post by Embiggens » Wed May 06, 2015 2:02 pm

Check again, you found the user! Do you think it's actually Gabe Aul?

Ed 

Post by Ed  » Wed May 06, 2015 6:28 pm

Embiggens wrote:

Check again, you found the user! Do you think it's actually Gabe Aul?
KHAAAAAAAANNNNN!!!!!!!!!

GAAAAAAAABBBBEEEEE!!!!!!!!!

blueiedgod

Post by blueiedgod » Fri May 15, 2015 4:34 pm

HTPC for $300 is easy to build if you use AMD CPU.