Hauppauge WinTV-HVR 2250 WMC Certified Remote

A place to talk about GPUs/Motherboards/CPUs/Cases/Remotes, etc.
2wheels

HTPC Specs: Show details

Hauppauge WinTV-HVR 2250 WMC Certified Remote

Post by 2wheels » Tue Nov 08, 2011 5:16 pm

Hi all! I purchased the Hauppauge WinTV-HVR 2250 with their WMC (Windows Media Center) certified remote. I expect a WMC specific remote to do things like control Hulu via the WMC Hulu plugin or say close WMC. This remote is not capable of these two tasks (Hauppauge has confirmed this). My question to you'll, since I am new to TV tuners and WMC remotes, is whether this is normal? I mean should I expect a WMC remote to handle these two tasks?

Thank you in advance for the feedback.

Ack

Post by Ack » Tue Nov 08, 2011 7:44 pm

I have the same tuner and remote. It doesn't control Hulu desktop as far as I know. To stay reasonably priced, I bought the Adesso ARC-1100 remote. It has rudimentary mouse controls that work decent enough for basic navigation around things on the desktop. (I don't use Hulu desktop any longer but just open a browser to access). Newegg has been out of stock for quite awhile but Tiger Direct has them in stock. About $18.00 USD.

2wheels

Post by 2wheels » Tue Nov 08, 2011 7:52 pm

Ack wrote:I have the same tuner and remote. It doesn't control Hulu desktop as far as I know. To stay reasonably priced, I bought the Adesso ARC-1100 remote. It has rudimentary mouse controls that work decent enough for basic navigation around things on the desktop. (I don't use Hulu desktop any longer but just open a browser to access). Newegg has been out of stock for quite awhile but Tiger Direct has them in stock. About $18.00 USD.

Thank you for the info. That is correct. Hauppauge has confirmed the remote was not meant to do the two things I expect a WMC compatible remote to do. What I am trying to find out is whether when shopping for a WMC, should I expect a WMC remote to do these two things. I ask because I am trying to decide whether to accept the remote's deficiencies as normal. Or does this remote not do what it should do being advertised as a WMC compatible remote. I can get a replacement tuner card without the remote, and purchase a WMC compatible remote from someone else (or use an inexpensive workaround like you did). Because of my inexperience in this area, I would not want to buy another WMC compatible remote only to find out it has the same two deficiencies and that it is normal.

Ack

Post by Ack » Tue Nov 08, 2011 8:21 pm

Well, someone else may have better input on that. A lot of people seem to like the Harmony remotes but I'm keeping my budget down for now; I may venture that way in a few months.

Technically, what Hauppauge says is correct in my opinion. The remote is compatible with WMC. Hulu isn't native to WMC so I wouldn't expect it to work with that (although I had my hopes up when I tried it). For now I'm happy with the $18.00 Adesso and the wife is OK with it so that seems like a win-win situation to me. It's really pretty cool, although very basic, to have some mousing action built into the remote. I keep a full keyboard and mouse connected if I need to do anything more intense than navigate Hulu or anything else basic point and click.

makryger

Post by makryger » Tue Nov 08, 2011 9:30 pm

Howdy,
The main important thing about a WMC-certified remote is that is able to send the specific signals to an HTPC to be able to control media center. These are all the really basic functions you'd expect from a remote- play pause stop numbers navigation enter etc., plus a few additional options that are unique to the media center app- like "TV Guide", "Live TV", Movies", etc. that navigate straight to a specific section of media center. One of the big distinguishing factors of a media center remote is The Green Button (this forum's namesake-) the button that takes you back to the main screen.

But do not expect your remote to do things for other applications- like launch hulu desktop. While Hulu may be one of the possible pieces of software on your computer, its not required to be part of a WMC remote. That's not to say you can't close media center using your remote- use the navigation arrows and enter, you can easily go to Tasks, and close media center. That's also not to say that your remote won't work outside of media center- your remote is basically a keyboard sending signals via IR, so if the up-down-right-left-enter is meant to work in hulu desktop, then it will still function. That's also not to say that you can't create your own hulu desktop launcher from within media center. (Here is one developer's example: http://huluwmc.teknowebworks.com/)

Hope that answers your question.
My Channel Logos XL: Get your Guide looking good! ~~~~ TunerSalad: Increase the 4-tuner limit in 7MC

2wheels

Post by 2wheels » Wed Nov 09, 2011 10:24 am

makryger wrote:Howdy,
The main important thing about a WMC-certified remote is that is able to send the specific signals to an HTPC to be able to control media center. These are all the really basic functions you'd expect from a remote- play pause stop numbers navigation enter etc., plus a few additional options that are unique to the media center app- like "TV Guide", "Live TV", Movies", etc. that navigate straight to a specific section of media center. One of the big distinguishing factors of a media center remote is The Green Button (this forum's namesake-) the button that takes you back to the main screen.

But do not expect your remote to do things for other applications- like launch hulu desktop. While Hulu may be one of the possible pieces of software on your computer, its not required to be part of a WMC remote. That's not to say you can't close media center using your remote- use the navigation arrows and enter, you can easily go to Tasks, and close media center. That's also not to say that your remote won't work outside of media center- your remote is basically a keyboard sending signals via IR, so if the up-down-right-left-enter is meant to work in hulu desktop, then it will still function. That's also not to say that you can't create your own hulu desktop launcher from within media center. (Here is one developer's example: http://huluwmc.teknowebworks.com/)

Hope that answers your question.

Yes, very well written! Thank you.

I found this last night and tested it. Although some of the remote buttons like pause are remapped or may not work, I am ecstatic about it. Here's the link to what I did and tested last night to make my remote function within my WMC Hulu plugin (ver. 2.1 by Teknowebworks, LLC).

http://digitalgeekery.com/237/does-your ... -or-boxee/