Bricked Echo?

Talk with fellow members about Ceton's Media Center Extender.
Forum rules
Ceton no longer participate in this forum. Official support may still be handled via the Ceton Ticket system.
nicholass817

HTPC Specs: Show details

Bricked Echo?

Post by nicholass817 » Wed Apr 29, 2015 10:50 pm

After recent changes to my network and a thunderstorm that caused sporadic power problems (not sure which caused the issue) one of my Echos sticks on the "waiting for network". It also displays 'MAC: Unknown' and 'IP: None'.

I've tried forcing it into recovery using 73268379 code, but the problem persists. I've seen talks of a more thorough type of recovery that requires you connect the echo via usb to a PC and run an exe file from Ceton...but they have to allow it somehow.

I opened a ticket with Ceton support 4 days ago and haven't received a response.

Any help or advice will be greatly appreciated.

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Fri May 01, 2015 1:17 am

Power it up without the Ethernet wire plugged into it. Once it's booted (well half booted) plug the Ethernet wire into it. Does the "Link light" light up? If not, try the other end of the Ethernet wire in different ports of your switch, then different cables. If still no light you have a dead echo nic.

mmurley

Post by mmurley » Fri May 01, 2015 2:54 am

nicholass817 wrote:After recent changes to my network and a thunderstorm that caused sporadic power problems (not sure which caused the issue) one of my Echos sticks on the "waiting for network". It also displays 'MAC: Unknown' and 'IP: None'.

I've tried forcing it into recovery using 73268379 code, but the problem persists. I've seen talks of a more thorough type of recovery that requires you connect the echo via usb to a PC and run an exe file from Ceton...but they have to allow it somehow.

I opened a ticket with Ceton support 4 days ago and haven't received a response.

Any help or advice will be greatly appreciated.
This is exactly what the one I'm trying to to recover has done since the day I got it, however I can 'force' mine into recognizing it's own MAC address and getting an IP address my repeatedly hard booting it.

Basically it's "waiting for network" because it's not getting an IP address from your router, which it won't get because it doesn't give a MAC address to the router.

I hard reboot mine until it recognizes / finds it's MAC address, then it works.

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Fri May 01, 2015 7:39 am

Its gonna have a hard time getting an IP from the router, if it doesn't know its own address (what's my mac address?) Usually the MAC is stamped backwards on its forehead at birth, so it see's it every morning. It's kinda hard to forget.

nicholass817

Post by nicholass817 » Fri May 01, 2015 7:30 pm

I got a response from Ceton yesterday, and had to run the recovery app 3 times to get it to go...first time I didn't run the app as admin so it wouldn't find the Echo and second time it failed to load recovery image. The display said "Connecting to Ceton..." when I gave up for the day, and it still says it. The screen does 'blink' or 'flash' every couple of seconds too. Just posted a response to the ticket with the MAC address per the instructions. Hopefully I wont have to wait another 5 days with my laptop stuck in one spot.

The status indicator for the appropriate port on my switch is lit up. So, upside is that it is definitely trying to connect to something.

nicholass817

Post by nicholass817 » Sat May 02, 2015 12:34 am

Well either Ceton opened up the server for my MAC address on this or the Echo gave up.

I came in to check on it and the screen to add it as an extender was displayed and it showed the MAC and IP, but the code to input into WMC was straight missing. I powered it off with the remote and plugged it into the power brick, and then it showed 'MAC: Unknown' and 'IP: None' while waiting for network again. Trying to run the recovery app again, but now the display isn't showing anything. So frustrating...

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Sat May 02, 2015 3:27 am

There have been a few success stories with that one. Usually the guy says, "I gave up watching the dam thing and went to bed" I checked it when I got up and it was fixed. Sounds like your is going to work eventually.

I didn't have much luck http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/vie ... 433#p35433

nicholass817

Post by nicholass817 » Sun May 03, 2015 1:26 pm

Crash2009, you were right. But I really don't know how it fixed itself.

Because I couldn't see the screen I let it run for a day again, powered it down, and powered it back up. At that point it still showed waiting for network. After reading another post about the TV/HDCP connection potentially causing the problem, I moved it to another room to test it out...waiting for network. So I moved it back to the original location to try and rerun the recovery, but it connected right away and is now working better than before...Moody little bugger.

mmurley

Post by mmurley » Sun May 03, 2015 4:46 pm

nicholass817 - I think yours does the same as mine. I discovered that the suspected HDMI issue was not an ssue. For some unfathomable reason mine will intermittently fail to recognize it's own MAC address when there is a change in the power state (power blip or unplug to move it or whatever).

IF mine actually completed a recovery then it didn't fix it.

Repeated hard boots will get it to recognize its MAC address and return t to the network, thus getting an IP address, but Ceton says not to do that. Of course, Ceton has only offered me recovery as a fix.