New computer suggestions

A place to talk about GPUs/Motherboards/CPUs/Cases/Remotes, etc.
lily1029

HTPC Specs: Show details

New computer suggestions

Post by lily1029 » Sun Apr 19, 2015 6:25 pm

I just had a Windows Media Center computer die on me and I'm in the early stages of looking to replace. I'm not savvy enough to build my own so I'm looking for recommendations on a unit to purchase already built and ready to go. I'm a tv fanatic so I want it to have the ability to dvr and store a good amount. I have always had Dell desktops in the past but I'm open to suggestions of other brands as well or if laptops can be conveniently run with tv tuners too. Anyone bought anything recently that is working great for them? Thanks for any advice you all can provide!

Ed 

Post by Ed  » Sun Apr 19, 2015 6:43 pm

What tuners do you have, and do you do transcoding or commercial skipping?

lily1029

Post by lily1029 » Sun Apr 19, 2015 7:40 pm

I'm pretty sure the dead unit has an old dual tuner from Hauppauge that only ever worked as a single tuner so I'd rather purchase a new computer with a fresh tuner already installed when it arrives at my house. I don't do any transcoding or commercial skipping.

Ed 

Post by Ed  » Sun Apr 19, 2015 9:23 pm

If you want it all preconfigured like that, take a look at here: http://www.assassinhtpc.com

lily1029

Post by lily1029 » Mon Apr 20, 2015 1:08 am

As I've done more research today I've also discovered usb tv tuners. Would these connect to windows media center and work the same way as my preinstalled tuner in my old desktop? I would definitely be able to connect something as simple as a usb.

sorethumbs

Post by sorethumbs » Mon Apr 20, 2015 3:30 pm

Hi Lily
Usb tuners can be handy but I prefer a tuner inside the pc just my preference. What are you going to be receiving via? Satellite? Antenna? whats your location?
And do you want a tower type pc that you use as a day to day pc as well as a media center, or are you after a neat little discreet type pc for putting underneath your tv

lily1029

Post by lily1029 » Tue Apr 21, 2015 3:18 am

Hello sorethumbs~
I am in the US with internet via digital cable. This new unit will be replacing a day to day desktop pc. I am considering a laptop as well for versatility around the house but don't know if that really could work for my tv tuner needs.

Bryan

Post by Bryan » Tue Apr 21, 2015 11:55 am

What's the budget? If it were me, I would be seriously considering an Intel NUC, with an SSD for the OS and a 2TB drive for DVR (there are NUC models that support internal drives). Then a network tuner tucked away somewhere else. An i5 or i7 NUC would be plenty to perform other tasks if needed, though I prefer my HTPC as a single purpose system.

Of course this would be a bit more involved than a ready machine showing up, but I really like the idea of a small and quiet machine for the job.

mdavej

Post by mdavej » Tue Apr 21, 2015 2:20 pm

lily1029 wrote:Hello sorethumbs~
I am in the US with internet via digital cable. This new unit will be replacing a day to day desktop PC. I am considering a laptop as well for versatility around the house but don't know if that really could work for my tv tuner needs.
I personally use one of these for an HTPC and another for an everyday desktop. Works great, but requires an external tuner and a different OS (either Win 8.x Pro or Win 7 - I run Win 7) for WMC. It's very small, quiet and efficient (10-20W max), and cheap. I added an SSD and more RAM since I have to serve 5 extenders.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6883103987