ETH 6 Tuner Tips - May Help You (No tuner found)

Ask fellow members about Ceton's infiniTV tuners here.
Forum rules
Ceton no longer participate in this forum. Official support may still be handled via the Ceton Ticket system.
fleanote

HTPC Specs: Show details

ETH 6 Tuner Tips - May Help You (No tuner found)

Post by fleanote » Wed Apr 15, 2015 5:30 pm

If you see my past posts, I've been battling my Ceton for months and finally understand why it does what it does. Here's some tips for those who have PC/Windows Media Centers as I do (all my connections are PC's and an Xbox 360 which extendds from a PC).

1. When the ETH6 reboots (and it will do it randomly at times depending on your firmware). At least one of your PC's needs to re-establish a connection to it using the Microsoft Windows Media Center Receiver' service or 1 or more of your tuners will be RED for WMDRM pairing. Red Pairing is a 'dead stick' and one less tuner available to your network. No need to bounce all the PC's, just one will reset the WMDRM for all 6 Ceton tuners.

2. Because the ETH6 randomly reboots, I have a script running on all my Media Center PC's to reboot themselves every day @ 4AM. This cuts the service (from above) and re-establishes it. But - this method has a flaw. Let's say you have 6 Media PC's on your network and your ETH6 is up and running @ 5AM. Each PC (when it reboots at 4AM) 'pairs' with a Ceton tuner when it reboots (even if it isn't using it actively). Now consider one of my PC's is a recording box which at times can record 2 or more shows at the same time. When those recordings kick in, what happens to the pairing of my 6 PC's (assume I am recording two shows at the same time)? The recording Media Center 'takes' another tuner from the Ceton that was initially connected to one of the 6 PC's. Those two recordings end, and you assume the Ceton re-disburses the 6 tuners across all 6 boxes again, but it doesn't. When it grabbed that 2nd tuner to record the second show, it disconnected from the PC it was 'Media Center Service' paired to, so when I launched Media Center on the 2nd PC (the one that lost its tuner due to PC #1 recording 2 shows and grabbing it) I got the errors - no tuner. A simple reboot of the 2nd machine re-establishes the Media Center Receiver service to the Ceton and all is well.

So now, I'm good except for the flaw. I have no way of knowing (i'm not a crazy techie script guy) when the ETH6 randomly reboots but if I did, I could script my PC's to reboot just after it happens. What I did try once, was scripting the ETH6 to purposely reboot @ 4AM then have my PC's reboot at 4:05AM to re-establish the Windows service. This worked well but fell apart when the ETH6 randomly rebooted itself. It also doesn't address the multi-recording issue and using 2 or more tuners on one PC.

So what do I now? I replaced my ehshell.exe executable with a batch file that stops the Media Center Service, Starts it, then launches ehshell.exe (Windowd Media Center). Works perfectly every time for me now (only issue is I have to use a keyboard to launch the shortcut rather than the big green button on my remote which is hard coded to the original ehshell.exe. Unless someone knows a fix for that :)

Curious about my run script - it's pretty basic and below:

NET STOP EHRECVR
rem pause 1
NET START EHRECVR
rem pause 1
%windir%\ehome\ehshell.exe
close

tzr916

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by tzr916 » Thu Apr 16, 2015 1:37 pm

I use Easy Net Monitor to ping the ETH6 every few seconds. If the ETH6 reboots, the ping fails and it sends me an email (that shows up immediately on my phone). Then I can get to the wmc machine (locally or remote), bring up the Ceton webpage, goto log, and type in reboot. That will give a clean boot of the ETH6 and WMC will re-recognized all 6 tuners after a few minutes (and if WMC doesn't then I can reboot the WMC machine).

I don't know if Easy Net Monitor could be combined with scripting but it would be WONDERFUL if this were automated. Usually I can get 45-60 days of up-time before the spontaneous reboot but just last night my ETH6 rebooted after less than 5 days. I was out, could not get to a computer to remote in, and lost 2 hours of prime time shows.

http://nicekit.com/net-monitor/best-fre ... onitor.htm