Blue Screen Crashing - Live TV

lemon5000

HTPC Specs: Show details

Blue Screen Crashing - Live TV

Post by lemon5000 » Sat Apr 11, 2015 12:01 am

I have had WMC on Win 7 for about 5 years. Never any major problems.

Within the last few months, it will crash while watching Live TV. It is not just WMC, the entire OS blue screen crashes. It happens randomly (usually between 1-2 hours of watching TV). I did change the video card around the same time, so possibly that could be the problem? I am not sure how to even debug this. If I don't have WMC on, the computer never crashes. It only happens while watching live TV. I don't remember it happening while watching recorded TV. Using the Ceton Infiniti. I updated the software and firmware for that.

Any ideas?

milli260876

Post by milli260876 » Sat Apr 11, 2015 12:42 am

Think you answered your own question.. New graphics card.
Check drivers for that if that doesn't work have a word with yourself for messing with a working system! (been there done that!)
Lee

lemon5000

Post by lemon5000 » Sat Apr 11, 2015 4:45 am

Thanks, I will have to try a new card. It has an AMD driver (AMD Catalyst Control Center) and I was amazed at how intrusive the device drive installation was. All this stuff for gaming, this that and the other thing...even has ads! Aweful. What I fear is that mostly all going to be like that since it is a Radeon and most are Radeon?

The other thing I was thinking is it could have been a windows update.

DavidinCT

Post by DavidinCT » Thu Apr 16, 2015 12:59 pm

lemon5000 wrote:Thanks, I will have to try a new card. It has an AMD driver (AMD Catalyst Control Center) and I was amazed at how intrusive the device drive installation was. All this stuff for gaming, this that and the other thing...even has ads! Aweful. What I fear is that mostly all going to be like that since it is a Radeon and most are Radeon?

The other thing I was thinking is it could have been a windows update.
Yea, I tried a ATI card once, never again. NVidia is my only card I will ever use because for the most part their drivers are very stable and not full of fluff like ATI's. My HTPC runs a GTX750TI SC card, a $110-125 card, I am running WMC at 4K @60hz with out a problem at all (2160p) and it looks mind-blowing.

Check drivers and if your still having the SAME problem, completely uninstall the drivers, then reinstall the drivers but, go through manual setup, make sure you remove other "gaming" features from the install. Or you could have a defective card, just return it and get another one.

If all else fails, put the old card in and just return the card, unless you put it in for a reason
-Dave
Twitter @TheCoolDave

Windows Media Center certified and WMC MVP 2010 - 2012