Disable mute?

GnatGoSplat

HTPC Specs: Show details

Disable mute?

Post by GnatGoSplat » Thu Apr 09, 2015 1:15 pm

Windows 8.1 with Media Center. Most of the time when I turn on my media center, it is muted.
I use an AV receiver for sound, so I don't want or need the computer to ever mute. It's just a nuisance. Is there any possible way to disable mute? I've already disabled the "quiet hours" settings so I know that's not what's causing it. Could be Away mode causing it, but I'd like to disable all volume control including mute and make it permanently 100% if possible.

mogulman

Post by mogulman » Mon May 18, 2015 6:42 pm

I used to have something like this. I think away mode was causing it. I can't remember how I got rid of it.

I use a Geffen HDMI detective plus, so that may have helped.

DavidinCT

Post by DavidinCT » Mon May 18, 2015 7:47 pm

GnatGoSplat wrote:Windows 8.1 with Media Center. Most of the time when I turn on my media center, it is muted.
I use an AV receiver for sound, so I don't want or need the computer to ever mute. It's just a nuisance. Is there any possible way to disable mute? I've already disabled the "quiet hours" settings so I know that's not what's causing it. Could be Away mode causing it, but I'd like to disable all volume control including mute and make it permanently 100% if possible.
No you cant. Like you I use a AV system and I wanted to stop all the on-screen messages for volume. When ever I do something it pops up with a 50 in the corner.

I think I am long out of NDA for WMC beta from Windows 7. When I was in the beta, I asked about this exact thing. with a bug sitting around for almost 2 months and I was told it's not possible with out reprogramming a whole section of WMC. I was told directly NO from Microsoft.

So, fact behind it, no you cant disable it.... If someone DOES find some type of hack for it, Please call my cell...seriously, I have been looking for it that long...

You could be having an issue with your HDMI hand shake going out of sync, this could cause problems like that. There are some threads on it, that might help a little. SOmetimes it's as easy as updating your video drivers (assuming your using HDMI out for Bitstreaming)
-Dave
Twitter @TheCoolDave

Windows Media Center certified and WMC MVP 2010 - 2012

mdavej

Post by mdavej » Tue May 19, 2015 2:11 pm

Most likely caused by Away Mode. Don't use it. Sleep/wake is nearly as fast and doesn't mute.