XB1 gets OTA view capabilities in US and CA

Troubleshoot and discuss the XBOX 360, XBOX One, Linksys, and other extenders.
steveo_in_sd

HTPC Specs: Show details

XB1 gets OTA view capabilities in US and CA

Post by steveo_in_sd » Wed Apr 08, 2015 3:50 pm

http://news.xbox.com/2015/04/xbox-one-o ... -air-tuner

Uses Hauppauge OTA tuner, NOT an MS peripheral.

steveo_in_sd

Post by steveo_in_sd » Wed Apr 08, 2015 3:50 pm

Still no CableCard, no DVR, no extender support, but better than nothing I suppose.

STC

Post by STC » Wed Apr 08, 2015 5:49 pm

^+1
I wonder what sector they are trying to be part of with this mashup?
By the Community, for the Community. 100% Commercial Free.

Want decent guide data back? Check out EPG123

Venom51

Post by Venom51 » Wed Apr 08, 2015 11:30 pm

Still trying to polish the Xbox turd.

My guess would be the unmitigated failure sector.

cwinfield

Post by cwinfield » Wed Apr 08, 2015 11:42 pm

The former head of MS entertainment who is largely responsible for this just got canned from Zynga http://www.theverge.com/2015/4/8/837206 ... cus-return now MS appears to be rethinking their craptastic all in one entertainment device strategy. http://www.anandtech.com/show/9150/micr ... rt-to-xbox
Last edited by cwinfield on Wed Apr 08, 2015 11:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bryan

Post by Bryan » Wed Apr 08, 2015 11:47 pm

As I said in the other thread, I see it as the first step to bigger things. Tuner support can lead to other tuners (ie, network), DVR capability, and more. I don't necessarily have high hopes, but I do think it could lead to the One being the all-in-one device it's meant to be, at least for those of us without cable.

Just13d

Post by Just13d » Thu Apr 09, 2015 1:17 pm

steveo_in_sd wrote:Still no CableCard, no DVR, no extender support, but better than nothing I suppose.
I said this in the other thread... The article states that the channels can be streamed through the Xbox glass app.

http://www.engadget.com/2015/04/08/the- ... nd-canada/

steveo_in_sd

Post by steveo_in_sd » Thu Apr 09, 2015 9:39 pm

Just13d wrote:
steveo_in_sd wrote:Still no CableCard, no DVR, no extender support, but better than nothing I suppose.
I said this in the other thread... The article states that the channels can be streamed through the Xbox glass app.

http://www.engadget.com/2015/04/08/the- ... nd-canada/
Sorry, not seeing what being able to stream live OTA transmissions has to do with cable programming, DVR functions, or Extender functions. Streaming via SmartGlass is a neat feature - just think how much better it would be if you could combine that feature with cable and DVRed content.

Just13d

Post by Just13d » Fri Apr 10, 2015 11:15 am

If they let you stream all the channels using the app then any thing that runs the app becomes a extender. Now there is no DVR or cable channels yet but they might figure away to get that in there as well using network tuners.

steveo_in_sd

Post by steveo_in_sd » Fri Apr 10, 2015 4:20 pm

Just13d wrote:If they let you stream all the channels using the app then any thing that runs the app becomes a extender. Now there is no DVR or cable channels yet but they might figure away to get that in there as well using network tuners.
I'm not very familiar with SmartGlass, but to be able to consider it similar to an extender the XB1 would have to be able to stream pictures, stored video, live video, and stored audio simultaneously to multiple devices with the SG app simultaneously. How much of that is possible using XB1 and SG? I know that storing media local on the XB1 is not really a thing, but can you stream media that the XB1 has network access to via a SG-connected device?

steveo_in_sd

Post by steveo_in_sd » Fri Apr 10, 2015 4:22 pm

And it would be wonderful if the answer was "yes" as then we could use the "Windows apps" (metro/Win 8) SG apps on PCs to get media in a pretty useable manner.

jwckauman

Post by jwckauman » Mon Apr 13, 2015 8:00 pm

I'm trying this out at home. I'll let you know if I get it working and how I like it. Personally, I think this is encouraging news. This is closest the XBOX has come to being a tuner. No set-top box needed in this configuration.

Bryan

Post by Bryan » Wed May 06, 2015 7:14 pm

There's already talk of DVR support coming: http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2015/05/r ... this-year/ As a cord cutter without any need for cable cards, I'm intrigued.

Ed 

Post by Ed  » Wed May 06, 2015 7:29 pm

It makes me think it won't be a whole whole DVR replacement, if it just lets you record to a USB drive attached to the XBOX One (presumably). Each XBOX One would be an independent DVR - and if CableCard DVR support is included - you then (again, presumably) would be locked to watching those recordings on the exact XBOX One that did the recording. OTA or QAM should be able to share recordings fine. But then does that mean you would need both XBOX Ones on (the one that did the recording/has the USB HDD attached, and the one you want to watch on)? Or, would you need to carry around the USB drive between XBOXs?

They would need a centralized recording software to be able to do 'whole home' DVR and record to some central storage point (especially for CC) I would think; which is exactly what they wanted to/did get away from with WMC.

But, we'll just have to wait and see if it comes to fruition, how they implement it. I can see it coming to be, but not as a 'full' WMC replacement.

cwinfield

Post by cwinfield » Wed May 06, 2015 7:43 pm

I think that that it will be for just OTA. They will likely rely on the TWC, Xfinity app for cable on demand and live services. If you want a DVR for cable programming I bet they will suggest using a pass thru with cable company DVR. I don't think they are willing to tackle the technological challenges involved in conditional access or streaming for remote access to tuners. I wonder if you will need a xbox live gold account for access to these features. TBH I wouldn't put to much effort because it will likely fail and it just seems like they are going thru the motions to say they tried and it didn't sell.

Ed 

Post by Ed  » Wed May 06, 2015 7:51 pm

cwinfield wrote:I wonder if you will need a xbox live gold account for access to these features.
Lol, that would suck. I'm gonna assume they learned their lesson with that though; when they took their apps out from behind the paywall.

adam1991

Post by adam1991 » Wed May 06, 2015 9:04 pm

Bryan

Post by Bryan » Wed May 06, 2015 9:16 pm

Gold is pretty much down to online gaming and Games with Gold, so I'd doubt that. I imagine this will keep starting with OTA, but there's no reason it couldn't grow past that. Whole home would be a big next step, but maybe they can keep the Smartglass angle there. I certainly don't expect a full WMC replacement anytime soon, but this isn't bad at all.

Ed 

Post by Ed  » Wed May 06, 2015 9:22 pm

Bryan wrote:Gold is pretty much down to online gaming and Games with Gold, so I'd doubt that. I imagine this will keep starting with OTA, but there's no reason it couldn't grow past that. Whole home would be a big next step, but maybe they can keep the Smartglass angle there. I certainly don't expect a full WMC replacement anytime soon, but this isn't bad at all.
Yeah, I forgot about the Xbox/Xbox One Smartglass app in Win 10/other platforms that you can stream TV to. I suppose they could leverage that in a way. Better than multiple Xboxs around the house, that's for sure. Would require remote support (of the Metro interface/all apps/platforms it's on), and some other things it currently doesn't have; to pull it all off. But, you never know.

adam1991

Post by adam1991 » Wed May 06, 2015 9:55 pm

I can imagine a scenario where in the end everyone looks at what MS hath wrought and declares, "wow, they redid WMC for the modern age, it looks good".

But of course, they're not obligated to vomit up every crumb of information on what they're working on, never mind the chest-thumpings of a dozen random know-it-all participants on some random web forum no one's ever heard of in the middle of nowhere.