Echo update?

Talk with fellow members about Ceton's Media Center Extender.
Forum rules
Ceton no longer participate in this forum. Official support may still be handled via the Ceton Ticket system.
soapdishbandit

HTPC Specs: Show details

Echo update?

Post by soapdishbandit » Tue Apr 07, 2015 2:36 pm

Since Echo's are still being sold, thus made, I was wondering if there was ever a new firmware coming? I knew there was one with the Android update but since they cancelled the Android update, how about just the firmware that would help with mpeg 2 1080i 29/59 issue.
Last edited by soapdishbandit on Tue Apr 07, 2015 3:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mdavej

Post by mdavej » Tue Apr 07, 2015 3:05 pm

It's been 2 years since the last update, so I think it's safe to say no at this point.

Sharks

Post by Sharks » Wed Apr 08, 2015 3:08 pm

I would be interested to know if we could get release of the Android firmware that is "unsupported" by Ceton for people that would like to try and upgrade their echoes.

Ed 

Post by Ed  » Wed Apr 08, 2015 3:14 pm

That will never happen.

Sharks

Post by Sharks » Wed Apr 08, 2015 3:22 pm

lol, thanks for your optimistic outlook on the subject. : p - A guy can always hope right?

Ed 

Post by Ed  » Wed Apr 08, 2015 3:31 pm

It's just people had hoped and asked for it when the Android update was declared dead - which was just under 2 years ago now. I think if it were gonna happen it would have already happened (but I knew it wouldn't have then either). But hey, if you wanna keep hoping and praying don't let me stop you :P

I'm just here wondering how long until Ceton declares it's shutting down shop. There's no sign of life from them TBH.

cwinfield

Post by cwinfield » Wed Apr 08, 2015 8:48 pm

I have a echo with the android update and it isn't anything that special. It has some apps but that's pretty much it. I wanted it for the chance to use hbo go on an extender but you need a mouse to navigate. It would overheat and reboot after running 5 minutes most times and one time the firmware got corrupted and needed to recover. So the android stuff is pretty much a novelty at this point, sure you can watch live tv and recorded tv outside WMC in android but I don't use it and the guide was never completed. It has extra streaming capability thru the mx player but who wants to watch a movie with a mobile freeware app advertisement on it? It is half baked and was not ready for prime time like pretty much the whole echo user experience.

cKuR6

Post by cKuR6 » Thu Apr 09, 2015 5:44 pm

like pretty much the whole echo user experience.
as an initial hater of echo....I have to chime in here, since I've had much experience with them over the last 8 mos.

I have 6 echos. Initial issues, were PC related, nothing to do with echo. Any ongoing issues, are related to network. I've had some issues with freezing and other quirks. I've moved the offending echo's to the cat6 wired tv, and they perform flawlessly. user experience is great AS LONG AS you know you're going to only have live and dvr use. wmc user experience sucks , so I use recorded tvhd, and we love it. blows cable co stb's out of the water. 3hr /12channel guides, plus all the additional mods availble from the pc. bad taste from all the broken promises and expectations never met are completely understandable. I can compare to the xbox, and i'd never want to trade for xbox's.

That said, I do have frequent HDCP errors... that don't seem to have rhyme or reason.

OP, I've read every thread google returns on your subject. The sentiments here are the same everywhere. Hopefully, that can save you some time searching dead ends.

soapdishbandit

Post by soapdishbandit » Fri Apr 10, 2015 12:22 am

If I had to be critical, I think the concept of the Echo was AMAZING. Just poor execution in my opinion. I have ours connected to our basement TV and the quality is great. Only a few issues like trying to watch HBO (stuttering is pretty bad) and you are right about the WMC experience (I think 360's use Direct X while all other extenders use some other system...and it is choppier). I only with that the stuttering would go away. Wonder if it has to do with the copy once status OR if it is the 29 / 59 bug.

soapdishbandit

Post by soapdishbandit » Fri Apr 10, 2015 12:23 am

To be fair to Ceton, they have been nothing but helpful for me. I've had 2 InfiniTV 4's fail on me and they offered me an InfiniTV 6 for free, even though I passed the warrenty phase. Great customer service! I really hope they stay around, and, perhaps introduce new products! :)

Sharks

Post by Sharks » Fri Apr 10, 2015 12:53 pm

cwinfield wrote:I have a echo with the android update and it isn't anything that special. It has some apps but that's pretty much it. I wanted it for the chance to use hbo go on an extender but you need a mouse to navigate. It would overheat and reboot after running 5 minutes most times and one time the firmware got corrupted and needed to recover. So the android stuff is pretty much a novelty at this point, sure you can watch live tv and recorded tv outside WMC in android but I don't use it and the guide was never completed. It has extra streaming capability thru the mx player but who wants to watch a movie with a mobile freeware app advertisement on it? It is half baked and was not ready for prime time like pretty much the whole echo user experience.
Thanks for the info, I'd still be interested to play around with one if I got the chance. Unfortunately, since windows has sort of locked out other extenders we probably won't be seeing a Echo2. Though maybe we'll get lucky and Windows 10 will change that. lol... : (

mcewinter

Post by mcewinter » Fri Apr 10, 2015 2:42 pm

An extender only has to react with Media Center, does it have to be MCX software? I'm saying no. Kodi with MC as a backend is a reasonable example. I don't think an echo2 would be far fetched if they were so inclined.

RyC

Post by RyC » Sat Apr 11, 2015 5:12 am

A Raspberry Pi already makes a great Kodi "extender"