Win7 Media Center not recording

sandybsimon

HTPC Specs: Show details

Win7 Media Center not recording

Post by sandybsimon » Mon Apr 06, 2015 12:18 am

I have been using Windows Media Center for several years on my laptop. It always works perfectly.

All of a sudden it is no longer actually recording my TV shows. If you look in View Scheduled they are listed for recording. After the show is to be recorded they are not listed for viewing. If I look in history it says that every show was Not Recorded.

I have tried downloading a new Guide. It says it will notify me when download complete. It NEVER completes.

I have also checked all my settings and everything looks fine. I also have plenty of free disk space.

Not sure what to do.

Please help!

Thanks,

Sandy

signcarver

Post by signcarver » Mon Apr 06, 2015 5:04 am

What tuner. if a cablecard tuner, do you have a TA?

I know you said plenty of space but what was WMC's limit on that space?

What type of drive are you recording to? What drive letter? If you had set it to something other than the default location of C: it may have reverted there and doesn't have room?

I move my buffer to another drive and with 12+ tuners WMC appears to calculate the "required" buffer space as part of the space needed so even if I told it to use the entire drive, it fails to record if it ever falls below around 100GB.

Anything reason given for i not recording, anything in event viewer?

Do you have some setting like hd or a specific channel only? I have seen occasionally that guides don't always keep their hd info.

sandybsimon

Post by sandybsimon » Mon Apr 06, 2015 4:43 pm

Tuner is WinTV-HVR950Q Hybrid TV Stick.

Drive C, 275 GB of storage. Looks like I have 50% left.

Event Viewer : Recording of The Bad News Bears in Breaking Training began as scheduled on 4/3/2015 7:59:24 PM and was manually stopped on 4/3/2015 8:00:59 PM. (I did not set up or manually stop this program????)

Masterpiece Classic: Mr. Selfridge, Season 3: Episode 2 was not recorded. There was no TV signal when the show was scheduled to record. (this one I was set to record)

5:22:37 AM - Failed to retrieve EpgListings (Error: Unable to connect to the remote server)

I hope this helps.

mercalia

Post by mercalia » Tue Apr 07, 2015 6:43 am

has the tuner died?

sandybsimon

Post by sandybsimon » Tue Apr 07, 2015 4:23 pm

Good question.

I will try and borrow a tuner from a friend and see.

DavidinCT

Post by DavidinCT » Tue Apr 14, 2015 12:55 am

Maybe I missed it but, I did not see anywhere if live TV works or not.. If live TV is not working, I would start there...

If live TV works, start watching a show, hit record, does it still play back while your recording, or does it stop ? If it finishes recording, does it play back fine ?

If live TV works fine, then your tuner is fine.

Let me know this before going any deeper in troubleshooting..
-Dave
Twitter @TheCoolDave

Windows Media Center certified and WMC MVP 2010 - 2012

blueiedgod

Post by blueiedgod » Fri Apr 17, 2015 6:30 pm

sandybsimon wrote:Tuner is WinTV-HVR950Q Hybrid TV Stick.
Are you feeding it from the antenna or Cable? If latter, did your TV provider stop offering ClearQAM?

Like others suggested, if live TV does not work, then you would not get to record it, either.

bmxerbray

Post by bmxerbray » Fri Jun 05, 2015 1:50 pm

Mine was doing the same thing.. Are you recording to another drive? I went to recording storage and changed my drive to C drive hit save then went back to my second drive and hit save. Then it started recording again. Hope this helps.. Long live Windows media center...

DavidinCT

Post by DavidinCT » Fri Jun 05, 2015 2:21 pm

If you get stuck, If you look in the scheduled tasks in Windows, there is a media center recovery task, Run this and it will reset it and should fix the problem.

It keeps most settings but, you will have to re-run TV setup, I would download SeansWMC backup (in the WIKI) and backup your recording schedule in case it removes that.

I rebuilt my machine and moved to x64 (always used x86), and got everything working perfectly, tweeked and looking perfect, then I tried to record something, WTF ? I had to re-run the recovery task and I was back working fine.
-Dave
Twitter @TheCoolDave

Windows Media Center certified and WMC MVP 2010 - 2012

mike_ekim

Post by mike_ekim » Fri Jun 05, 2015 8:58 pm

This started happening to me on April 28. My wmc7 pc didn't record any thing for about a week. I saw could watch live tv. Shows appeared in the 'view scheduled' list. They didn't actually record. I rebooted, everything is working fine now.