Media Center won't record, says broadcast restrictions

noslack

HTPC Specs: Show details

Media Center won't record, says broadcast restrictions

Post by noslack » Fri Apr 03, 2015 9:30 pm

As of yesterday, channel 4 and 7 started saying that programs that I had set to record wouldn't record because of "recording cancelled. cannot be recorded. restrictions set by the broadcaster and/or originator of the content prohibit recording of this program" I have actually two different computers, one with two Infinitv Ceton 6 tuners cards, and another with one 4 tuner Ceton card, and they both do the same thing, As of today, only 4 now is saying that error message but earlier it was both 4 and 7 like last night. Called Verizon Fios, big wrong move, all I got was arguments and grief so I am here with you guys, please help! I rebooted my ONT, or connection to the house via Fiber Optic, and unplugged and plugged back in my Cards, rebooted modem, etc....

adam1991

Post by adam1991 » Fri Apr 03, 2015 11:02 pm

it's not you. They're sending down a "copy never" flag, which means you can only watch the stream.

This is no doubt an error on Verizon's part, but good luck getting them to recognize what's going on.

noslack

Post by noslack » Fri Apr 03, 2015 11:37 pm

You are so right adam, these fools were the worst of the worst, talking like I was an idiot, even to the point where the Verizon tech was telling me that he didn't know what to say but that he was "looking on the internet to help me". Really?

tzr916

Post by tzr916 » Sat Apr 04, 2015 4:14 pm

Are you running the latest beta v15.1.13.152 firmware on your cetons?
If you tune to those channels, then bring up the ceton web gui, go to that tuner, look at the bottom where it says "Copy Protection", what does it say?

noslack

Post by noslack » Mon Apr 06, 2015 9:46 pm

I am so sorry that it took me this long to respond, I was out of town for the weekend and didn't have my computer with me, no, I am not seeing that beta firmware for the Ceton as being available, I have the 13.06.03.1088 firmware installed, how can I get the newer firmware?

cwinfield

Post by cwinfield » Mon Apr 06, 2015 9:56 pm

noslack wrote:I am so sorry that it took me this long to respond, I was out of town for the weekend and didn't have my computer with me, no, I am not seeing that beta firmware for the Ceton as being available, I have the 13.06.03.1088 firmware installed, how can I get the newer firmware?
http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/vie ... =68&t=8352 link is in post #1, btw I think your listing the driver version not fw, also you want to install the fw via the web gui under system.

noslack

Post by noslack » Tue Apr 07, 2015 12:00 am

Yeah, got that now and thanx but I still had the FW 14 beta from the site, put in the new one from the link and now everything is great, I am just confused as to how the flags get out of whack with the Ceton's and that restriction happens, it hasn't happened ever until last week, and it drove me nuts trying to figure it out, and Verizon was the root of all evil, wow, they made me want to give up my fios for a second, only a second, but thanks to this FW it is fine. One thought, do you think this will continue to happen every so often with the restrictions? I just hope that we can always have some FW available to work with..
Thanks again, Robert

cwinfield

Post by cwinfield » Tue Apr 07, 2015 12:06 am

Long story short cable companies were disregarding CCI flags because it did not affect most tuners, due to the high restrictions placed on windows tuners, ceton and other wmc tuners were forced to honor the flag set in broadcast even though it was incorrect. erkotz from ceton petitioned cablelabs to disregard this and it was approved. This firmware reflects the change.

delightfor

Post by delightfor » Thu Apr 09, 2015 5:13 pm

I had the same dang problem! My wife was pissed! I however have the silicon dust tuner. Any idea if these too can be set to ignore this flag? If so, how?

cwinfield

Post by cwinfield » Thu Apr 09, 2015 5:18 pm

Try their newest software.

Release 20150406:
◾HDHR4/TC/CC/DC models: Support Kodi add-on.
◾HDHR4/TC/CC/DC models: Fix problem where UPnP channel list or guide data could be truncated in some situations.
◾HDHR4/TC/CC/DC models: Improvements to diagnostic logging.
◾HDHR3-US/DT/EU models: Fix reboot when DNS returns multiple IP addresses.
◾CC models: Eliminate CGMS-triggered DRM. Please run a channel scan on the device or through HDHomeRun Setup after upgrading.
◾DC models: Improvements to repairing streams from YouSee cable.
◾TC models: Improvements to power management.

http://download.silicondust.com/hdhomer ... 150406.exe

davidbecht01

Post by davidbecht01 » Thu Apr 30, 2015 3:33 pm

I am experiencing the same issue as described here. I downloaded the firmware update but I am not sure how to install it. Somewhere in the thread it describes bring up the GUI and selecting system tab. I brought up the diagnosics app but there isn't a system tab. What am I missing?

IownFIVEechos

Post by IownFIVEechos » Thu Apr 30, 2015 3:37 pm

Just run the executable and go through the setup again and it will update the firmware.

cwinfield

Post by cwinfield » Thu Apr 30, 2015 6:22 pm

From the diagnostic app, on the second tab it should have a button that will bring up the webpage. Default address is 192.168.200.1 in your web browser. Also running the exe for drivers will not update the firmware because it is a beta at this time.

davidbecht01

Post by davidbecht01 » Fri May 01, 2015 4:56 pm

Thanks.

jhanks64

Post by jhanks64 » Wed Mar 02, 2016 9:43 am

Just a couple of weeks ago, I started experiencing the same problem with my InfiniTV6 Win7 system. It happened on 3 different channels randomly, but then started consistently failing on channel 105 (Local NBC station King5 HD). I found it curious that King5 moved into a new building in Seattle about the same time.

I'm on Comcast in Northwest Washington State.

I updated to the current firmware with no change. I wrote to Ceton with diagnostics data and they suggested a bunch of updates and changes to network settings.
After all the updates and changes, nothing was any different - channel 105 would not record. (Recording Cancelled message: Restrictions set by the broadcaster and/or originator of the content prohibit recording of this program.)

After I wrote a lengthy reply about how I've been doing PC work in my business for almost 30 years, I'm not a clueless casual user and that I had tried all of the suggestions.
I also logged into the tuner web interface and noticed that channel 105 had Copy Protection: Copy Generation Management System - Analog: "Copy
Never" (0x03) and a good channel 107 had Copy Protection: Copy Control Information: "Copy Free" (00).

After providing that info, Ceton gave me Beta firmware that solved the issue.

DavidinCT

Post by DavidinCT » Wed Mar 02, 2016 1:34 pm

Do you have a link to the firmware ? Is it different from what is listed in on the Ceton fourms ? If it's a newer firmware I would love to get a copy of it to install so I dont run into these issues..

Thanks !
-Dave
Twitter @TheCoolDave

Windows Media Center certified and WMC MVP 2010 - 2012

jhanks64

Post by jhanks64 » Wed Mar 02, 2016 7:56 pm

WARNING: This firmware is for InfiniTV 6 users only. We do not recommend using

You will need to manually upload the firmware via the device webpage. We will provide step-by-step instructions on how to do so below.

Save the file from the link below to an easy-to-find location on your hard drive, and then follow these steps:

http://www.cetoncorp.com/downloads/ceto ... _152.IMAGE

** Warning do not use the Ceton Diagnostic Tool Update feature to apply this beta update.**

These instructions will guide you to using the InfiniTV's device webpage to update this beta firmware.

1. Open the Ceton InfiniTV Diagnostic Tool
2. Go to the Devices tab and click on the "Go to InfiniTV device webpage" button
3. Along the top of the webpage on the blue bar, click on "System"
4. Scroll down to the very bottom
5. Next to "Firmware Update" click on "Choose File"
6. Browse to the firmware file you've saved and select it, clicking "Open" on the browse box to do so
7. Click the "Upload" button on the device webpage

As noted on the device webpage, it can take no less than 2 minutes and up to five minutes to complete, so give it time to install. The webpage will update when it’s completed please note some steps in the upgrade will take longer than others. Once that's done power off your computer completely as a cold boot is required.

KeithLa

Post by KeithLa » Wed Mar 16, 2016 12:21 am

JHanks64, thank you very much for posting this. I experienced the exact same problem on Comcast 105 here in Seattle starting two weeks ago, and it appears to have been resolved by updating my Ceton InfiniTV PCIe to the current beta firmware, via the Ceton Diagnostics Tool, Update tab, check "Include beta updates" checkbox.

Note that prior to this upgrade, I'd installed and run the Digital Cable Advisor tool from the Extras Gallery, after Media Center Settings told me that my PC was not CableCard ready (which I knew it was).

However, I'm having a new problem of no thumbnails in Recorded TV, since I re-ran TV Tuner setup and digital cable activation.

tuna_ertemalp

Post by tuna_ertemalp » Fri Mar 25, 2016 4:48 am

And, I was seeing the same in 105 in Sammamish, WA, for the last few months. But, as of few days ago, it started working again. First WMC recorded Monday's Blindspot, and then today's Blacklist. Both of them had been failing for weeks now. I am glad I didn't remove them from WMC's recording list. And, no, I did not update any drivers. So, whoever was marking channel 105 (NBC) shows with the "copy never" flag must have realized their mistake, one hopes.
-- Tuna

KeithLa

Post by KeithLa » Sun Mar 27, 2016 10:03 pm

Good to know, Tuna, thanks for mentioning that. Nice to hear from other local WMC holdouts. :)