Showanalyzer locked database?

werds

HTPC Specs: Show details

Showanalyzer locked database?

Post by werds » Tue Mar 24, 2015 1:47 am

OK, so finally installed a commercial skipping app and I like the way ShowAnalyzer is working (aka the queue works nicely, skipping works decently well out the box, and I didn't need to setup a trimming program to convert since all I want is the skip - the full files are fine with me since I don't want thing accidentally clipped).

But recently I started noticing that the engine for checking what shows need to be analyzed has stopped working and the only way to get it working again has been to reboot the system. The message I keep getting is as follows. Does anyone have any past experience with this?
Attachments
Capture.PNG

werds

Post by werds » Sat Mar 28, 2015 11:17 pm

Seems I could reproduce the issue, when I restart my PC the processes run fine, the shows start being analyzed and skipping on most shows works fine. BUT whenever any show in my SA analyzing que hits 100% it never clears out and stays at 100% if I try and do anything with it, close the UI, and attempting to re-open it lends me with a database locked error message.

OK, so through multiple differing google searches it all comes down to apparently something in my setup of DVRMS and Showanalyzer is causing the database to lock up. I only use the setup for commercial skip... I also like that it is decently accurate and if it misses I can skip back with ease... Someone who has used Comskip - how different does Comskip work in action? All I saw at quick blush for directions was setting it up to process and transcode shows with commercials cut out (which I do not want in case it screws up).

Also I know SA hasn't been developed in a while - but when I installed it some of the menus in the directions I found online looked completely different or didn't exist where they claimed to be for SA... so someone who has succesfully installed it could you link to what you used for directions?

adam1991

Post by adam1991 » Sun Mar 29, 2015 12:42 am

Couple of things:

* ShowAnalyzer went from being free to being paid; the paid version was completely different. Then the dev stopped taking payments and stopped developing it, and made the paid version free. Anyway, you may have this second (formerly paid) version installed but are looking at instructions for the old version.

* Don't confuse ShowAnalyzer/comskip with DVRMS. SA/comskip do exactly one thing: analyze the program and create marker files that tell the world where non-program material begins and ends. They have no control over WMC or you interacting with WMC. They are not involved. What happens when you set things up is, you tell DVRMS where to look for these marker files. DVRMS controls WMC, and your interaction with WMC. The skipping, the control, the turning skipping on and off, etc are all controlled by DVRMS and the parameters you set up within DVRMS. DVRMS is what tells WMC to skip.

* The only time I've seen the 100% behavior you describe is when ShowAnalyzer tries to analyze a DRM-locked show. Keep in mind, nothing but WMC may play back a DRM-protected show on your system; when ShowAnalyzer tries to play the show back to itself (in order to analyze it), ShowAnalyzer fails. You can tell ShowAnalyzer (ummmmm...as I recall....or is it DVRMS?) to skip shows that meet certain criteria. When I told SA to skip shows that I knew were always going to be locked (I'm looking at you, FXX) the SA wonkiness stopped.

werds

Post by werds » Sun Mar 29, 2015 1:00 pm

adam1991 wrote:Couple of things:

* ShowAnalyzer went from being free to being paid; the paid version was completely different. Then the dev stopped taking payments and stopped developing it, and made the paid version free. Anyway, you may have this second (formerly paid) version installed but are looking at instructions for the old version.

* Don't confuse ShowAnalyzer/comskip with DVRMS. SA/comskip do exactly one thing: analyze the program and create marker files that tell the world where non-program material begins and ends. They have no control over WMC or you interacting with WMC. They are not involved. What happens when you set things up is, you tell DVRMS where to look for these marker files. DVRMS controls WMC, and your interaction with WMC. The skipping, the control, the turning skipping on and off, etc are all controlled by DVRMS and the parameters you set up within DVRMS. DVRMS is what tells WMC to skip.

* The only time I've seen the 100% behavior you describe is when ShowAnalyzer tries to analyze a DRM-locked show. Keep in mind, nothing but WMC may play back a DRM-protected show on your system; when ShowAnalyzer tries to play the show back to itself (in order to analyze it), ShowAnalyzer fails. You can tell ShowAnalyzer (ummmmm...as I recall....or is it DVRMS?) to skip shows that meet certain criteria. When I told SA to skip shows that I knew were always going to be locked (I'm looking at you, FXX) the SA wonkiness stopped.
That explains a lot, even with the current wonkiness going on, when I mentioned removing the skipping program altogether my wife said no lol. Now that I understand it a bit better (thanks for the explanation). How would I go about telling it to avoid certain recordings... and then how would I go about identifying which ones to avoid due to the drm?

adam1991

Post by adam1991 » Sun Mar 29, 2015 10:04 pm

Poke around either in DVRMS or in the SA user interface itself. Somewhere you can give it criteria to define whether to process the show or not.