Weak TV signal error

Ask fellow members about Ceton's infiniTV tuners here.
Forum rules
Ceton no longer participate in this forum. Official support may still be handled via the Ceton Ticket system.
golfdude

HTPC Specs: Show details

Weak TV signal error

Post by golfdude » Wed Mar 18, 2015 3:09 am

When i tuned to 1 channel i got the weak channel error, however, when i tried tuning to that same channel on another system at the same time, the channel came in with no issue with the weak error on the other.. why would the error come up on 1 system, but not the other? and yes ive tried that regedit hack as well.. the channel never gave issues before, and as stated, it does work, when accessed on another system that can access the eth..

JohnW248

Post by JohnW248 » Wed Mar 18, 2015 4:35 am

golfdude wrote:When i tuned to 1 channel i got the weak channel error, however, when i tried tuning to that same channel on another system at the same time, the channel came in with no issue with the weak error on the other.. why would the error come up on 1 system, but not the other? and yes ive tried that regedit hack as well.. the channel never gave issues before, and as stated, it does work, when accessed on another system that can access the eth..
Have you checked the signal level on that channel on that computer with the web gui and verified it is weak? The "Weak Signal" error can be triggered by other things besides a weak signal. For example the buffer not ready or a hard drive issue with the live tv buffer can give you this message as well. Since you tune the channel on another machine, I would investigate other potential causes. A HD that is coming out of sleep will likely tune the channe on a second attempt. A recording made on the channel will likely succeed where live tv won't work. Also a tuning adapter that doesn't return frequency and CCI will cause either Weak Signal or No Signal and the proper SDV error. Sometimes the MC error messages are a bit like the old "magic 8 ball" fortune teller where 8 answers will handle any problem and not tell you anything.

erkotz

Post by erkotz » Wed Mar 18, 2015 6:42 pm

Does your provider use SDV? That is my first thought.
Quality Assurance Manager, Ceton Corporation

golfdude

Post by golfdude » Wed Mar 18, 2015 10:22 pm

they do, but not on the channel in question... they only use sdv on pay for sports packages here..

erkotz

Post by erkotz » Wed Mar 18, 2015 10:35 pm

Are you 100% certain? That's by far the most likely reason for what you described. Cablevision is the only provider I know of that breaks things up by service tier - who is your provider?
Quality Assurance Manager, Ceton Corporation

golfdude

Post by golfdude » Fri Mar 20, 2015 12:21 am

yes its cablevision...

and last night i had it set to record on that same channel in question.. it went 1 minute of recording before it cut off with the weak signal error, ending the recording.. yet recordings on other channels yesterday all went off fine without issue..

they have told me in issues in the past that the only channels they have sdv on that need a tuning adapter are the sports packages.. all their other channels dont run on sdv...

and as sated, it only happens on 1 machine.. the channel will tune fine on another at the same time as that error on the main system

JohnW248

Post by JohnW248 » Fri Mar 20, 2015 3:32 pm

Since the channel works on one machine and not another, it sounds like there is something on the second machine that is causing the problem not the tuner.

Try this:
1. Tune the channel on the machine that gets it successfully and leave it running
2. Tune the channel on the second machine which fails
3. Do a diagnostic scan from the Ceton Diagnostic on the second machine while everything is still tuned and you have the no signal or whatever up on the screen.
4. Then from the diagnostic tool open the device web page and looked at each tuner, there should be two of them tuned to that station and you'll see if they are paired (green) or not (red) and what the signal strength, frequency, etc are. the Device will have to use two tuners to do this. Also look at the copy protection from the web gui

Having collected all that information file a ticket with Ceton and perhaps they can see if there is a problem with your second machine and something that is running on it that is causing the problem. This could be a CCI issue or perhaps something with your network stack or the like but without a lot more information, we're all just guessing at the most common causes.

golfdude

Post by golfdude » Sat Mar 21, 2015 12:31 pm

you mixed it up.. after the channel failed to load, and still on the error screen on pc1, i tried the 2nd system, in which it did work on that machine.. with both on the same channel at the same time, where 1 stayed on the error, and 2 worked..

dmagerl

Post by dmagerl » Sat Mar 21, 2015 1:14 pm

Check the sources attached to that channel under the Edit Channel screen Just right click on the channel in the guide and then Edit Channel. It may be trying to tune to a bad channel.

JohnW248

Post by JohnW248 » Sat Mar 21, 2015 3:48 pm

golfdude wrote:you mixed it up.. after the channel failed to load, and still on the error screen on pc1, i tried the 2nd system, in which it did work on that machine.. with both on the same channel at the same time, where 1 stayed on the error, and 2 worked..
So did you get the rest of the data? That's the important thing. Trying to find out if both machines can tune or not tune the channel on the same tuner. To rule out a bad tuner, when you find the tuner that is working on your machine that works, make a note of that. Go to the second machine, go to the channel guide and right click on the channel number, choose edit channel and then choose edit sources. Now UNCHECK all the tuners except for the one that worked on machine 1 and save and save and see if it works then.

The way Media Center works is it has a priority for which channel it uses for live tv and a different list for recorded tv. If a recorded tv selection doesn't return a signal then the machine will go to the next tuner, in live tv if it thinks the tuner is valid it just stops and puts up an error message. So step one is to see if there might be a problem with the tuner the non-working machine is trying to use. If that's not is, then we have to examine other possibilities.

golfdude

Post by golfdude » Wed Apr 15, 2015 12:49 am

i seem to running into this issue even more now..

whenever im recording a show, and i want to watch it live at the same time, it will automatically kick to the weak signal error.. its doing this on multiple channels now

ie), show starts recording, recording is ok .. i change the channel to view that channel its recording, and it kicks both my view to weak signal error, and the recording also gets that error, ending the recording.. and once the recording ends, then the signal error magically vanishes and all is ok again.. i can watch the same channel on 2 different systems at the same time, but if its set to record it on one of them, the weak signal error rears its head and kills it..

why is it failing only during a recording?

JackLuminous

Post by JackLuminous » Thu Apr 30, 2015 3:19 am

Woah..that sounds similar to what my wife described to me tonight. SHe was watching the recording and it ended up going to 'weak tv signal' and killing the recording.