Win8 WMC Backup question

eclas

HTPC Specs: Show details

Win8 WMC Backup question

Post by eclas » Wed Mar 11, 2015 2:59 pm

Here's a neophyte question...
why can't I just copy specific sub folders (or the whole thing) from under C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\eHome and then restore that folder.
If registry keys would mess things up when doing that couldn't you export those keys for restoring also (but what keys?)?

mdavej

Post by mdavej » Wed Mar 11, 2015 3:16 pm

What exactly are you trying to backup/restore, your recording schedule? There are free utilities to handle that kind of thing.

eclas

Post by eclas » Wed Mar 11, 2015 7:52 pm

Mainly that is what I want to backup along with the channel listing. It'd be nice to backup drm keys etc also.
I've seen a couple programs that claim to do it but with every one that is being used under windows 8 has a lot of issues being reported. Sean's looks like the most promising but I want something I can count on in a pinch.
I use recorded hd tv with windows 8 and it's advertised to be supported but even it has bugs. Under windows 8 if u try to navigate the menu too much it will freeze wmc up and needs to be restarted.

My thoughts were that if u copied the correct folders as long as the registry wasn't a factor it might be a better way. Really i'm grasping at straws cause if that were possible I'd have seen it somewhere during my searches I'm sure.

mdavej wrote:What exactly are you trying to backup/restore, your recording schedule? There are free utilities to handle that kind of thing.

eclas

Post by eclas » Wed Mar 11, 2015 8:43 pm

on a side note, I finally got wmc set up and running pretty much perfect except a few minor bugs in an addon or 2.
I will be moving in a few months.
When that happens (I'm with time warner), I should be able to install the new CC's, get them activated, use the homerun setup to find the new channels and then I'm going to have setup my recordings again right?
And if that is the case, I'll have to do that twice a year because I go back and forth.
THIS is why I'm looking for a flawless backup solution. Once I have a backup from each place I could just restore and be up and running when I move back and forth.

mdavej

Post by mdavej » Wed Mar 11, 2015 8:53 pm

In my experience, Sean's tool creates a huge mess when restoring the lineup (he even warns you not to do it). That should simply be redone during setup. Backing up / restoring your schedule is no problem, which I have done a couple of times without issue. I think that's about the best you can hope for. I don't think you'll be able to back up one lineup/schedule and restore it to a totally different system with different channels.

I have no idea how to backup/restore the DRM keys. I didn't think that was possible.

Others may have more ideas for you, but I don't think there is any way to make your plan work.

eclas

Post by eclas » Wed Mar 11, 2015 9:16 pm

I thank u for that info. The schedule is the most important thing. I'll use Sean's backup for that. Do u know if I can save 2 different backups (one for my system here and another for where I'm going?
Then when I get back I can just restore for here but still have a backup for when I move again?
mdavej wrote:In my experience, Sean's tool creates a huge mess when restoring the lineup (he even warns you not to do it). That should simply be redone during setup. Backing up / restoring your schedule is no problem, which I have done a couple of times without issue. I think that's about the best you can hope for. I don't think you'll be able to back up one lineup/schedule and restore it to a totally different system with different channels.

I have no idea how to backup/restore the DRM keys. I didn't think that was possible.

Others may have more ideas for you, but I don't think there is any way to make your plan work.