WMC either too big or too small for screen

bsell1

HTPC Specs: Show details

WMC either too big or too small for screen

Post by bsell1 » Tue Mar 10, 2015 12:03 am

Hello, I have win 8.1 running on my 55 inch through HDMI. I have searched for this error, but been unable to find anything on it. Sometimes when we turn the TV on, the WMC will be either too large or too small to fit the TV screen. It is like the resolution is off for some reason. I can fix it by minimizing then maximizing, but I would rather just make it not happen at all. It seems like at one time I read something about the HDMI handshake, but don't remember if there was a solution to this issue. If anybody can help me, I would be very much appreciated.

ewtaylo

Post by ewtaylo » Tue Mar 10, 2015 6:11 pm

Is the TV hooked up via HDMI directly to the box running WMC?
When you turn the TV off do you also exit WMC on the box that runs WMC?

It sounds to me like the issue I have had in the past where Windows resizes the screen to 1024 x 768 because it loses the handshake to the TV when it turns off. There are a couple ways to fix it, but the one I found easiest to do is to get a 3 port HDMI switch for < $10 (got mine from Amazon). plug the WMC box into port one and the TV into the output port. Now you can turn off the TV and the computer keeps outputting 1920x1080. Note that you never have to switch the A/B switch. it is there to isolate your TV from your computer.

Read about my solution in this thread:

http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/vie ... =49&t=6901

bsell1

Post by bsell1 » Tue Mar 10, 2015 6:24 pm

thanks for the reply