Reboot required for watching WMC7 "Copying Prohibited"

Ask fellow members about Ceton's infiniTV tuners here.
Forum rules
Ceton no longer participate in this forum. Official support may still be handled via the Ceton Ticket system.
jtx

HTPC Specs: Show details

Reboot required for watching WMC7 "Copying Prohibited"

Post by jtx » Sat Feb 28, 2015 1:40 am

I have Verizon FIOS + cablecard in a WMC7 system with the InfiniTV4 PCIe. The only copy flagged channels are HBO/Cinemax. For some reason, a reboot is required before I am able to watch these channels. The reboot is required almost on a daily basis. I get "Copying Prohibited" or "Service is Unavailable" errors or occasionaly "Playready Update" problems. Any ideas on how to fix this? I have tried many things that I have found on the internet and none work. I would prefer to not have to re-install windows 7 pro x64 and media center if possible.

I also have a Win7 Pro 64 SageTV system with Infinitv6 PCIe. It can sleep and resume with no problems whatsoever, except that I cannot view copy once material (HBO/Cinemax) on that system.

cwinfield

Post by cwinfield » Sat Feb 28, 2015 2:03 am

http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/vie ... =playready try post #17 then #34. If that doesn't fix it you may be having a driver or hdd issue.

JohnW248

Post by JohnW248 » Sat Feb 28, 2015 3:07 am

jtx wrote:I have Verizon FIOS + cablecard in a WMC7 system with the InfiniTV4 PCIe. The only copy flagged channels are HBO/Cinemax. For some reason, a reboot is required before I am able to watch these channels. The reboot is required almost on a daily basis. I get "Copying Prohibited" or "Service is Unavailable" errors or occasionaly "Playready Update" problems. Any ideas on how to fix this? I have tried many things that I have found on the internet and none work. I would prefer to not have to re-install windows 7 pro x64 and media center if possible.

I also have a Win7 Pro 64 SageTV system with Infinitv6 PCIe. It can sleep and resume with no problems whatsoever, except that I cannot view copy once material (HBO/Cinemax) on that system.
Since you have the same problem on two devices on two computers, I don't think you're looking at a Windows or Media Center issue.

How did you set-up your cableCARD on Fios? Is it a Moto or Cisco card? I can tell you what a Cisco card should show, but not a moto. It sounds more likely that there is an issue with the cableCARD pairing or the tuner losing the pairing.

Next time it happens, rather than reboot the computer, have you tried to power cycle the ETH and on the PCIe T4 open the web gui and open the LOG in a New Tab and in the command box at the bottom type reboot and send/enter. The tuner will reboot. Alternative you can restart the cableCARD only by going to the CableCARD tab and scrolling down the page and clicking on Clear Channel Map and the card will rebind.

It sounds like the cards are not set-up properly but need more information to determine that.

jtx

Post by jtx » Tue Mar 03, 2015 6:27 pm

Sorry my original post was misleading - the SageTV system, by definition, cannot play protected content because it does not contain a Playready type DRM system. I was just commenting that re-boots weren't required for the 6 tuner PCIe card.

JohnW248

Post by JohnW248 » Tue Mar 03, 2015 9:52 pm

If your problem is related to the DRM issue that was recently changed by cableLABs, download the latest beta FW (152) for the Ceton and/or the latest SD FW beta build. This removes the cableCARD from looking for old CGMS protection. I don't know if that's what is triggering your issue, but it might help. The issue was just corrected in January 2015

jtx

Post by jtx » Wed Mar 04, 2015 3:02 pm

I tried the post #17 suggestion above. Initially it did not appear to work. Then I re-configured the PC not to go to sleep and I also noticed that I had CCleaner installed and it was cleaning Media Center and Media Player junk files. I unchecked those options in CCleaner, and after a few reboots, now I can tune to the Copy-Once channels without any problems. Not sure if it is 100% rock solid yet - still need to test this some more, but I am hopeful.

On an unrelated note, I have discovered that the Ceton Echo extender can cause a blue-screen/reboot on the Media Center PC.

JohnW248

Post by JohnW248 » Wed Mar 04, 2015 5:25 pm

Check both the "health" in Action Center for the BSOD and in the Event Viewer and see if its related to any Media Center Service such as the extender service or ehrecvr service.

Also make sure you don't leave the Echo "Playing" and turn it off or turn off the tv set with it "playing" since there is always a channel lock to the tuner and a buffer running on the MC host when you're running the extender.

I had this happen a couple of times during the beta testing phase but haven't seen it in a couple of years so thought it was fixed. You are running the last FW update on the Echo and the tuners, I hope.

cwinfield

Post by cwinfield » Thu Mar 05, 2015 12:48 am

jtx wrote:I On an unrelated note, I have discovered that the Ceton Echo extender can cause a blue-screen/reboot on the Media Center PC.
Check your NIC drivers for a newer version from the manufacturer (realtek, Broadcom, marvell, intel, etc.)

jtx

Post by jtx » Fri Mar 06, 2015 1:17 am

Installed new drivers - I was surprised to see new drivers available for such an old motherboard. So far, no crashes - will report back after a few days. Thanks for the suggestions.