WMC setup question

eclas

HTPC Specs: Show details

WMC setup question

Post by eclas » Wed Feb 25, 2015 5:39 pm

I was wondering if it's possible to use an existing computer(it's hooked into my tv now) to tie into another computer on the network that is running media center.
OR would i need to hook an xbox up to that tv?

[Moderator note: topic moved]

LuckyDay

Post by LuckyDay » Wed Feb 25, 2015 5:54 pm

If you're looking to get the actual WMC interface you will need to get an Xbox or a supported extender.

If you look around you can usually find good deals on 360s that are used or broken (ones that don't play games can usually still access all of the streaming features) for about $50.

sbaeder

Post by sbaeder » Wed Feb 25, 2015 7:33 pm

It is a bit more complex than that...i.e. when you say: "tie into" (which is very ambiguous) What do you mean??? In reality - it all depends...

You already have WMC working on one computer - GREAT....*IF* you don't have any CopyOnce type protected content, then you can certainly set up a second (or third) computer also running WMC, and access the recorded files on the first WMC machine. Just add the libraries to the second machine. Then the second PC can access all the FILES on the original machine, and decodes them (using WMC interface or any other media player if you want), and then sends a locally generated display to the TV

An XBOX, or any other proper EXTENDER lets you do a remote VIEW of the original WMC machine. That means that all the work happens on the WMC machine and ONLY the display is sent to the extender. This allows even copy protected files to play "remotely", since the original WMC PC is doing all the work.

There are LOTS of posts here on this sort of thing...In the end, it all boils down to content (protected or not), and how you access that content to manage playback of recorded things vs. live vs. doing the recording, etc.

cKuR6

Post by cKuR6 » Thu Feb 26, 2015 5:27 pm

There is also a tuner pooling option, if you want a completely seperate PC, to do its own television hosting. As mentioned copy protected won't be shared between the two PC's.