Cannot Connect Locally with Win 8

Discuss My Media Center for Windows 8, Windows RT, iOS, Android, and WP, and ask Ceton for support.
Forum rules
Ceton no longer participate in this forum. There is no official support mechanism for My Media Center.
Crash2009

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by Crash2009 » Fri Feb 27, 2015 12:23 pm

I have one last idea for you.

On your Win7 box Go to Start/Help and Support/ type discovery, and start reading.

Dissolve your Win7 HomeGroup and set up a WorkGroup. Turn on Discovery and File and Printer Sharing. If you feel that you must use a HomeGroup. Create the HomeGroup in Win8 and connect the Win7 boxes to Win8's HomeGroup.

http://windowssecrets.com/forums/showth ... 7-computer
Attachments
NetworkDiscovery.JPG

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Fri Feb 27, 2015 1:39 pm

Attachments
NetworkingWin7Win8.JPG

choliscott

Post by choliscott » Mon Mar 02, 2015 1:15 am

Ok I decided to do a reinstall of WIndows (I was debating on throwing a different processor I had laying around) & I am not able to connect with the desktop computer & the tablet. Not exactly sure that was different as didn't do anything different.

Thanks for your help!!

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Mon Mar 02, 2015 2:45 am

You wanna try one more thing? I just threw together a Win8 box, and am in the process right now of setting the network to join with my 7's.

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Mon Mar 02, 2015 4:17 am

Do these 3 steps on all three computers, and your network will be set. If this doesn't work for you you might have a bad wire or switch port. Speaking of that do you have a link light when you plug the win8 box into the switch? Link Light does it light up when you plug in the Ethernet wire?

Step 1 click on where mine says Work Network. Set Network location opens up. Click on Work Network.

Step 2 go to Advanced Sharing Settings and select the first choice on all of them Network discovery, Printer sharing, etc. Save Settings.

Step 3 Open up File Explorer and right click Computer and select Properties. Over to the right of Computer name-domain-workgroup, click on Change settings. System Properties open up---click Change. Computer Name/Domain Changes window opens up. Give your PC a friendly name. Click Workgroup, give your workgroup a name. When you click OK you will be prompted to Restart, if you are not prompted Restart anyway.

Do these 3 steps on all 3 boxes and you will have tied them all together. My last pic is from my Win8 box, don't know if it matters but mine was set to Domain by default, now it's Workgroup. As a test I played some recorded TV from Win7 on the Win8.

Show us a screen shot if you get stuck.

Also I had to change my workgroup in the router to UPTOWN. You can name your workgroup anything you want.
Attachments
HomeWorkGroup.jpg
NetworkAdvancedSharing.jpg
NetworkBefore.jpg

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Tue Mar 03, 2015 7:07 am

Here are a couple more screencaps of a couple places to make adjustments to your wireless network. This is a Win7 laptop I am setting up tonight. Signal is not too good (only 216 mbps) I am shooting through two 2 foot thick concrete walls to the access point which is 20 feet away.

Wifi should be totally seamless. Unplug the wire and it should buffur for a bit then start blasting whatever you were watching on the wire. If your wifi adapter supports it, Enable Disable Upon Wired Connect. It helps with the seamless part. If you open the properties of both wired and wireless and look at the counter, you can tell which one is playing the video.

Had a couple tense moments tonight, this Dell Studio laptop could see the other computers and play their files, but couldn't see itself. The other computers couldn't see the Dell Studio, nor it's files. Reminded me of your problem. Ended up shutting down all of them and turning on one by one. They all discovered just fine after that. I was so stuck, I almost formatted and reinstalled.

I'm going to do a Win8 laptop tomorrow night.
Attachments
TestNetworkEdited.jpg
EnableDisableUponWiredConnect.jpg
ConfirmBothAdaptersEdited.jpg