Unable to make changes in MMC Configuration Tool

Discuss My Media Center for Windows 8, Windows RT, iOS, Android, and WP, and ask Ceton for support.
Forum rules
Ceton no longer participate in this forum. There is no official support mechanism for My Media Center.
MediaTrbl

HTPC Specs: Show details

Unable to make changes in MMC Configuration Tool

Post by MediaTrbl » Tue Feb 24, 2015 6:35 am

After unsuccessfully submitting a ticket to get help on various issues, I was sent here. I recently installed Ceton InfiniTV 6 and the Media Extender. I was able to install My Media Center on my phone and it works as well as it seems to be able to do (not very well in my estimation). However, I downloaded the free version from the Ceton site and opened the Configuration tool. Each time I open it, it says: "Welcome to the My Media Center configuration tool. Here you will be able to fine tune your My Media Center experience. The default settings should work fine for most users." It then gives me the option to Save and no other options. There does not seem to be any way to open My Media Center or to configure it at all. The available guide: http://www.cetoncorp.com/documents/MyMe ... pGuide.pdf starts with the idea that it opens to the configuration options and provides no help when it won't go further than that. The gist of all of this is that I am left with the Windows Media Center interface as my main option on the main computer. While it actually provides more functionality that My Media Center on my phone or on the Extender, I continue to hope that it might provide some additional function and insight when it actually works on my computer. I would appreciate it if anyone can provide me with ideas about how to get past the impasse I face at this point.

I have Win7 Ultimate 64bit installed with 8 gigs RAM.

Thank you for any assistance you might be able to offer.

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Tue Feb 24, 2015 1:54 pm

Take a deep breath, this is going to hurt a little bit.

Click on Library, or advanced.
Attachments
MmcStartPageEdited.jpg

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Tue Feb 24, 2015 2:04 pm

Got a question for ya. Why do you think you need to adjust anything in the Library or Advanced section?

MediaTrbl

Post by MediaTrbl » Sat Feb 28, 2015 5:17 am

Crash2009 wrote:Take a deep breath, this is going to hurt a little bit.

Click on Library, or advanced.
I have clicked on every single inch of that dialog without any change. I just opened it again and tried it again - miraculously it actually did something.

I have no idea why I would want to do anything in that tool, beyond the fact that Ceton makes big point of using it when you install the program and the system as it stands doesn't work well. A few minutes ago, the TV on my Ceton Media Extender froze and when I cam downstairs to troubleshoot, it was Waiting for Network after I had turned it off and back on again. I has frequently glitched in a number of ways and without any clear reason, so I am hoping that the tool in the Configuration may provide some help in reducing the glitches. I continue to hope that this system will work since I have paid a lot of money to install it and I do not want to go back to Comcast's X1 for my dvr.

I will post back if I can't figure out how to make this system work better. Thank you for the suggestion. I don't quite get the part about it hurting a bit unless that was sarcasm.

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Sat Feb 28, 2015 2:25 pm

Yes, the hurting part was sarcasm.

I suppose MMC might have been frozen when you were trying to click on it before. Like Ceton says, Its pretty rare that you need to change any settings in MMC.

If it was frozen, that would indicate to me that, something else is wrong.

Could you tell us a bit more about what problems are you having?

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Sat Feb 28, 2015 7:25 pm

After re-reading your opening paragraph, I think I see what happened. You installed all this stuff backwards. No wonder you feel its a POS. It appears that you installed the clients prior to the server (the server is what you call the free version) (the clients are on your phones)

Uninstall everything reboot and follow the directions in the guide that you linked to in your opening paragraph.

Eric? Isn't there some kind of instructions over at the Playstore or the Whateverstore, explaining that the My Media Center Services have to be installed and tested on the HTPC First?

MediaTrbl

Post by MediaTrbl » Sun Mar 01, 2015 1:31 am

The reason I don't like the tools is that they are all more limited that the tools I was using recently. I had a DVR service with my Internet and TV provider... The service was much more flexible and, particularly, had the option of setting up a Favorites folder rather than requiring scrolling through most of the Guide. I have figured out how to use some of the features that the programs do offer and I will probably figure out more over time. At this point, I have my screens working again and I will probably sort through more of the options over time. What I most would appreciate is a clear manual for using My Media Center on the phone, computer, Echo and Xbox. It could be that such information is not available because it simply isn't capable of doing much.
After re-reading your opening paragraph, I think I see what happened. You installed all this stuff backwards. No wonder you feel its a POS. It appears that you installed the clients prior to the server (the server is what you call the free version) (the clients are on your phones)

Uninstall everything reboot and follow the directions in the guide that you linked to in your opening paragraph.
No, I did not install everything backwards and, no, I will not uninstall everything and start over. As I said, everything seems to be working okay at this point and I will go forward with the assumption that I will either eventually discover some of the features that I would like or they will simply not exist. Hostile help is really not helpful, so I will return to silently reviewing topics if I feel a need for further support.

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Sun Mar 01, 2015 2:59 am

MediaTrbl wrote:After unsuccessfully submitting a ticket to get help on various issues, I was sent here. I recently installed Ceton InfiniTV 6 and the Media Extender. I was able to install My Media Center on my phone and it works as well as it seems to be able to do (not very well in my estimation). However, I downloaded the free version from the Ceton site and opened the Configuration tool. Each time I open it, it says: "Welcome to the My Media Center configuration tool. Here you will be able to fine tune your My Media Center experience. The default settings should work fine for most users." It then gives me the option to Save and no other options. There does not seem to be any way to open My Media Center or to configure it at all. The available guide: http://www.cetoncorp.com/documents/MyMe ... pGuide.pdf starts with the idea that it opens to the configuration options and provides no help when it won't go further than that. The gist of all of this is that I am left with the Windows Media Center interface as my main option on the main computer. While it actually provides more functionality that My Media Center on my phone or on the Extender, I continue to hope that it might provide some additional function and insight when it actually works on my computer. I would appreciate it if anyone can provide me with ideas about how to get past the impasse I face at this point.

I have Win7 Ultimate 64bit installed with 8 gigs RAM.

Thank you for any assistance you might be able to offer.
Don't blame your oversight on me bud. You were the one with the impasse of not being able to figure out you could click on Advanced. Then right after that, miraculously it started working. I see your type here all the time asking for help and unable to say thanks when you get it. Bye!

MediaTrbl

Post by MediaTrbl » Sun Mar 01, 2015 11:25 am

I am not blaming you for anything. I acknowledged your hostile response and your apparent need to blame the person asking for help rather than simply offering suggestions. I have encountered this before as well. When you volunteer on a help forum and are familiar with the material, it is easy to be antagonistic toward the people who ask for help and assume that they are all idiots. It is like calling a help line and being asked if you plugged in the computer yet, even though you have already told the person that you built the thing. I don't know why the configuration tool didn't work before and then did work when I tried again. I had been all over that dialog box and got nothing before. I have tweaked all sorts of things in the meanwhile, so it is possible that I had missed something before that I got to in that process. I appreciate any help that is offered, I am not seeing that telling me to do what I already did in a sarcastic manner is helpful. Telling me that I did it all backwards and need to wipe and reinstall is definitely not helpful, especially since you indicated that it was based on a revelation from reading what I had said a second time. It is not your fault that the My Media Center interface is a poor one - I happen to know that there are other ways it could be done that are better because I have used other options.

I appreciate that you are volunteering your time to help people. I suggest that you would be more helpful if you include less sarcasm and recognize that some people will not even post for help if they see that this is the welcome they would get. I first posted to a forum more than twenty years ago with a minor question and got attacked for it. It took me several more years to post on any other forum because I have no need to treated like an idiot, even if the question I ask seems idiotic to people with expertise. I run a forum now and would not allow any of the staff to treat people this way, partly because of that initial experience and continued encounters like this one. Even if I made a mistake, attacking me for it is not helpful.

So continue with your hostility if you choose. You can call me an ungrateful "type" and ignore the way that your response made it difficult for me to respond with gratitude. As I said above, I do appreciate your willingness to volunteer to help. I also suggest that you look at doing that in a way that is respectful to the people you are helping, even if you think that they are missing something that seems obvious to you.

I will keep working on tweaking the system for myself to do more of what I want even though Ceton and this forum provide only minimal help with that. As I understand it, there are other options that may be a bit more user friendly, so I will look into them. For now, I have my TV working and I can focus on getting settled into my new home before I spend more time on this project. I will avoid asking any further questions in this forum since it appears that I will not be treated with respect if I do.