Which XBox 360?

Troubleshoot and discuss the XBOX 360, XBOX One, Linksys, and other extenders.
mmurley

HTPC Specs: Show details

Which XBox 360?

Post by mmurley » Wed Feb 18, 2015 6:07 pm

Currently I have two Ceton Echoes and a DMA2200 as extenders.

I was thinking of trying an Xbox 360 (because I don't see the point of dropping $450 for an Xbox One to use it as an extender). It probably won't get used for gaming - only as a media extender. 4Gb model okay?

And do I have to do anything bizarre to use a Logitech Harmony with it? Red ring of death an issue?

Ed 

Post by Ed  » Wed Feb 18, 2015 6:22 pm

The Xbox One can't be a WMC extender anyway.

The newest 4GB model E will be fine; and is the best choice IMO. Looks like this: http://i.imgur.com/Hy7kXf4.jpg

I use 4 of them as my extenders.

If you want to use the Xbox Live apps that come with the 360 (Netflix, Hulu, Amazon, HBO Go, etc), in addition to WMC, then set up the Harmony as a Xbox 360 remote/controller (it contains the WMC buttons/actions too). If just for WMC, set it up (or keep it just set up as) a WMC only remote.

cwinfield

Post by cwinfield » Wed Feb 18, 2015 6:27 pm

mmurley wrote:because I don't see the point of dropping $450 for an Xbox One to use it as an extender
Well that is good because xb1 doesn't even have MCX capability. Just get a xbox360-s version, it has built in wifi and less likely to gret red ring of death (aka RROD). They are about $75 used on ebay.

mdavej

Post by mdavej » Wed Feb 18, 2015 7:16 pm

The only strange thing you have to do with your remote is hold it perfectly perpendicular. Xbox has the worst IR reception I've ever seen. The sensor is an inch or two behind the window, so it's like shining a light through a keyhole to hit a tiny spot on the other side of the room. Very poor design, and never corrected in later models as far as I know. Just one of many reasons I've retired all of mine from extender duty.

Ed 

Post by Ed  » Wed Feb 18, 2015 10:12 pm

mdavej wrote:The only strange thing you have to do with your remote is hold it perfectly perpendicular. Xbox has the worst IR reception I've ever seen.
I don't have to do that with my Harmony remotes on any of my 360s. Sounds to me like something was wrong at your end (whether 360 unit, remote, or position/setup - or a combination of any/either).

mdavej

Post by mdavej » Wed Feb 18, 2015 10:22 pm

Ed  wrote:
mdavej wrote:The only strange thing you have to do with your remote is hold it perfectly perpendicular. Xbox has the worst IR reception I've ever seen.
I don't have to do that with my Harmony remotes on any of my 360s. Sounds like something was wrong at your end to me.
How far off-axis can you go? I had 4 Xboxes in service at one point and could never go off more than 15 degrees or so, up/down or left/right with any remote, even my most powerful one. I opened up one and saw the problem was the keyhole design (eye is well behind the tiny window on the eject button). An IR floodlight couldn't even compete with that. This was a major problem in one room where I sit at least 45 degrees off-axis, hence I had to use RF in that case. All my other IR controlled devices are much more forgiving.

And I'm not the only one:
https://www.cheapassgamer.com/topic/235 ... box-360-s/

mmurley

Post by mmurley » Wed Feb 18, 2015 10:23 pm

mdavej wrote:The only strange thing you have to do with your remote is hold it perfectly perpendicular. Xbox has the worst IR reception I've ever seen. The sensor is an inch or two behind the window, so it's like shining a light through a keyhole to hit a tiny spot on the other side of the room. Very poor design, and never corrected in later models as far as I know. Just one of many reasons I've retired all of mine from extender duty.
Would something like this work?

Ed 

Post by Ed  » Wed Feb 18, 2015 10:35 pm

mdavej wrote:How far off-axis can you go? I had 4 Xboxes in service at one point and could never go off more than 15 degrees or so, up/down or left/right with any remote, even my most powerful one. I opened up one and saw the problem was the keyhole design (eye is well behind the tiny window on the eject button). An IR floodlight couldn't even compete with that. This was a major problem in one room where I sit at least 45 degrees off-axis, hence I had to use RF in that case. All my other IR controlled devices are much more forgiving.

I'll have to measure to give you specifics - all my 360s sit at different heights and different distances from seating position in each room too.
mmurley wrote:Would something like this work?
No. You have to make due with the IR sensor in the unit itself. Like I stated it works fine for me on all my units. Try it out yourself first before you start trying to fix it IMO.
Last edited by Ed  on Wed Feb 18, 2015 10:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Bryan

Post by Bryan » Wed Feb 18, 2015 10:37 pm

mdavej wrote:
Ed  wrote:
I don't have to do that with my Harmony remotes on any of my 360s. Sounds like something was wrong at your end to me.
How far off-axis can you go? I had 4 Xboxes in service at one point and could never go off more than 15 degrees or so, up/down or left/right with any remote, even my most powerful one. I opened up one and saw the problem was the keyhole design (eye is well behind the tiny window on the eject button). An IR floodlight couldn't even compete with that. This was a major problem in one room where I sit at least 45 degrees off-axis, hence I had to use RF in that case. All my other IR controlled devices are much more forgiving.

Happens to me too, my S and E aren't too great. I want to say the S is worse, but I don't use the E much.

mdavej

Post by mdavej » Wed Feb 18, 2015 10:46 pm

Ed  wrote:Try it out yourself first before you start trying to fix it IMO.
Definitely agree with this. Just something to be aware of. More of an annoyance than a show stopper anyway.

DavidinCT

Post by DavidinCT » Fri Feb 20, 2015 8:17 pm

I'm someone who has been through a few 360's....I had a old white one (old 20gb one), The IR was the best on that one. I was able to use it side to side, pretty good over all, not the greatest (not as good as some A/V gear) but, that one went RROD for the 5th time and gave up on it (using these as extenders only, I have a 250gb for gaming).

So I picked up a 4gb black one, It's got the worst IR on it ever, I have used a few of them in the past and all of them were like that. If your dead on, within 1 foot or so, it works, even across the room but, if you go off to the side 2 feet or so, it does not go.

Tried this with about 3 different MCE remotes and a Philips Pronto TSU7500 (one of the better IR blasters in most remotes) still the same problem.

ANY xbox 360 will serve as an extender. If you want the BEST IR range, get a old white one, last I looked, Gamestop still had stock in them (refurbed) and they were REALLY cheap ($40-50).

Unless you want to do some IR blaster type thing (could be up towards $50-100) to add on, then you don't really have to worry about it.
-Dave
Twitter @TheCoolDave

Windows Media Center certified and WMC MVP 2010 - 2012

Bryan

Post by Bryan » Fri Feb 20, 2015 10:54 pm

Be aware though that the original style (mostly white, though there were some black ones) are significantly louder. The S was a big improvement there, apart from when the optical drive was in use (fortunately, not often). I barely use my white one anymore though if memory serves, I think I'd agree IR worked best on it.

Ed 

Post by Ed  » Fri Feb 20, 2015 11:28 pm

The old white ones (which also came in black; they're often referred to as the 'fat' models) are louder, hotter and more prone to the RROD. I would not recommenced using one of the older ones at all. Only the 'S' or 'E' models are suitable IMO.

UCBearcat

Post by UCBearcat » Sun Feb 22, 2015 2:58 pm

As others have stated - steer clear of the old "fat" xbox 360s. I still have one of mine in service, and it is LOUD. Once the thing gets warmed up, the fans kick in to high gear and it's noisy. The other 2 I have in service are the S models. Love them both. Silent and do the job nicely.

Now as for the IR cabability - I tend to agree that they aren't as forgiving at certain angles, but definitely not a show stopper. For our setups, we're pretty much directly in front of the TV, so no worries for us.
I read a forum post somewhere a while back in which it talked about placing clear scotch tape over the IR receiver. I never tried it, but the theory behind it was that the tape was transparent enough to allow the signal through. But, the makeup of the tape caused some type of light refraction allowing for more extreme angles. If it works, this would be the cheapest hack ever. :D