Live TV is fine but, a recording will go to "no signal"

RyC

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by RyC » Thu Feb 19, 2015 9:38 pm

Why shouldn't you restore the channel lineup? I've been using GuideTool to backup and restore the channel lineup for years and never ran into any issues. Whenever Charter adds/changes/removes channels, they still update magically.

I have like 700 channels too, but I have a ton of them disabled, and tediously remapped all the HD channel numbers to the SD numbers.

mdavej

Post by mdavej » Thu Feb 19, 2015 9:45 pm

With some tools, restoring an existing lineup will create duplicates that are impossible to remove. Guide Tool may handle things better. Suffice to say last time I inadvertently restored mine, I had wipe my hard drive clean and reinstall windows to get back to normal.

I have Charter too. Magically got 7 new channels today without doing a thing. Now I just have to make some new logos for them. I don't bother with the SD numbers as the HD versions are so easy to figure out (4=704, 8=708, etc.). I do keep a spreadsheet so I know which channels have an HD version and which ones don't.

RyC

Post by RyC » Thu Feb 19, 2015 9:51 pm

Unfortunately in my market, the HD channel numbers have zero correlation to the SD numbers. Anyway I guess YMMV. Another reason to make regular backups haha

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:13 pm

If you can blow up your HTPC with GuideTool, the PC was hanging by a thread to begin with. It is totally painless. I'm sure even David would like it. Not sure how to make him think it was his idea though.........

mdavej

Post by mdavej » Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:29 pm

Crash2009 wrote:If you can blow up your HTPC with GuideTool, the PC was hanging by a thread to begin with. It is totally painless. I'm sure even David would like it. Not sure how to make him think it was his idea though.........
Now I remember. This is the one that destroyed my PC:

http://www.seanmauch.com/seans-wmc-backup/

But I deserve most of the blame as the author does warn against restoring the lineup. It's just a check box I neglected to uncheck. Schedule backup/restore worked fine. Guide Tool, OTOH, has been solid, although I've never attempt a full lineup restore and am too gun shy to ever try it.

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:32 pm

RyC wrote:Unfortunately in my market, the HD channel numbers have zero correlation to the SD numbers. Anyway I guess YMMV. Another reason to make regular backups haha
We have a couple that match up. "WXYZ, 7, ABC" is broadcast here in 5 flavors represented by 5 channels, 7-231-296-297-1007. Over here there really is only about 100 channels, the other 5 or 6 hundred are just dupes of the original hundred. Guide Surfin was a pita, by the time I got to the end of the guide, the show I wanted was half over.

DavidinCT

Post by DavidinCT » Fri Feb 20, 2015 3:25 am

RyC wrote:Why shouldn't you restore the channel lineup? I've been using GuideTool to backup and restore the channel lineup for years and never ran into any issues. Whenever Charter adds/changes/removes channels, they still update magically.

I have like 700 channels too, but I have a ton of them disabled, and tediously remapped all the HD channel numbers to the SD numbers.
The reason why I wanted to restore them, I did some little hack (that I cant figure out) to map channels to the x.x channel, for example, One of my local channels is OTA 3.1, but, cable puts it at 1003, I want the channel on 3.1 as everyone in the house remembers the channel as 3, so I like to keep them that way.

I keep a old QAM tuner in the computer (that is no longer in use, Comcast killed Clear QAM in my area), this used to allow me to create a QAM channel (my example above)3.1 then copy the listings from 1003, Then go in to 1003, Edit listings, select 3.1, and it would ask me to combine sources and remove 1003 from the guide and everything lives on 3.1. I used to be able to do this but, it no longer works and always ends up on 1003.

So if this Guidetool works, I am going to try it...Same exact computer, same exact cards in the same locations, as long as it can handle that on a restore, I will try it...
mdavej wrote:
Crash2009 wrote:If you can blow up your HTPC with GuideTool, the PC was hanging by a thread to begin with. It is totally painless. I'm sure even David would like it. Not sure how to make him think it was his idea though.........
Now I remember. This is the one that destroyed my PC:

http://www.seanmauch.com/seans-wmc-backup/

But I deserve most of the blame as the author does warn against restoring the lineup. It's just a check box I neglected to uncheck. Schedule backup/restore worked fine. Guide Tool, OTOH, has been solid, although I've never attempt a full lineup restore and am too gun shy to ever try it.
Number one, I do full backups before I play with anything. I will have a CLONE of the OS drive before playing with a tool like that, so if all else fails, I can just go back to where I was....

That Seans WMC backup, is what I used, I was able to restore the channel line up but all the tuners were unusable.... I might try the Guide tool to see if works..
-Dave
Twitter @TheCoolDave

Windows Media Center certified and WMC MVP 2010 - 2012

DavidinCT

Post by DavidinCT » Fri Feb 20, 2015 3:46 pm

Ok, Tried the Guide tool, OMG how freaking easy is that????? I wanted to keep my channels on the Same as the OTA/QAM channel numbers. About 15-20 channels, never mind the around 1000 channels that my Cable company has and I don't have 90% of them.

Click on a channel, Change number, and BANG instantly changed, refresh the guide and it's live....OMG, WOW !

Pretty freaking epic if you ask me, I went through all my local channels and did them all, so I am good now, I even donated $5 to the app because it saved me possible hours of work.

Now to just use Media Center Studio, update my theme and change some things around in MC, and I should be all set and back to normal.

For the record, after going back to FirstRun, everything is recording now, It was a Windows Problem, Not a Ceton problem. Still 3 days to reply to a case, I will 2nd think about buying another Ceton product. HDR was awesome in the past, They will be my first choice.

I want to give a big thanks to everyone who tried to help out ! Thanks !
-Dave
Twitter @TheCoolDave

DavidinCT

Post by DavidinCT » Mon Feb 23, 2015 3:50 pm

I had no choice but to rebuilt this weekend. There was a ghost in the machine that would cause 1/2 my movies in the "movie Library" not to show up, I have about 4 folders on different drives for movies, there is a LARGE folder with over 90 movies in it(mostly Blu-ray rips). If I added the other folders, this large folder movies would not show up but, if I just added the LARGE folder with out the others it would show up but, adding the other folders they would not show up. After bingging or Googling for the day, I said screw it as I could not find anyone with the same issue.

Funny thing, all the moves would show up on an Extender...

I tested Guide tool and Sean's WMC backup. I used Sean's backup for recording schedule and Guide tool for channel lineup.

Setup system, installed tuners, got everything working (guide, live tv, etc), after that I did the restore feature in Guide tool, This restored my custom channel lineup EXACTLY the way it was with no problems with the tuners. Then used Sean's backup for the schedule shows, a quick and simple backup and got the scheduled shows back up ! After a guide update, there was shows scheduled. This whole process took about 5 min to restore everything and testing...

SO, a combo of those 2 are VERY worthy...
-Dave
Twitter @TheCoolDave