Used Infinitv4 PCIe in new computer

Ask fellow members about Ceton's infiniTV tuners here.
Forum rules
Ceton no longer participate in this forum. Official support may still be handled via the Ceton Ticket system.
Sharks

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by Sharks » Tue Feb 17, 2015 5:56 am

Ok, once you make it to the ceton page at 10.0.0.105, go to Setup page then Network settings part way down the page, click on the network settings hyperlink, it should take you to a page where you can assign an IP address you should then enable the DHCP server, you should lose communication to the card's webpage until you unbridge your connection and you should now be able to see the card at 192.168.200.1 . I would then attempt to factory reset from the ceton diagnostic tool. Hopefully it will then factory reset.

JayZe73

Post by JayZe73 » Tue Feb 17, 2015 11:06 am

Crash: no I haven't tried that. I will when I get home from work this evening tho. I also thought about reinstalling windows with the card installed and see if that works. When I installed windows I added the card after all updates were done from Microsoft.

Sharks: Yes I have tried that. It just reverts back to what it was when I click save.

Sharks

Post by Sharks » Tue Feb 17, 2015 1:25 pm

If after what Crash2009 suggested doesn't yield any results I would try running these drivers and see if you get any better results when you try to do a network reset and or a clear tuner settings to your card. (http://www.cetoncorp.com/firmware/ceton ... 304_06.exe). Hopefully we'll get you up and running here soon. X_X

JayZe73

Post by JayZe73 » Tue Feb 17, 2015 2:15 pm

I will try that also this evening when I get home. Thanks a lot guys. I really appreciate your help and time.

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Tue Feb 17, 2015 3:11 pm

Another thing you could try is to go back to the point where the tuner works. i.e. Not sure I understand what you had to do, but I think you said you named your Media Center "GEORGE" and it was working. Once you get to that point again, re-install the tuner with the Ceton Software-(It will go into Uninstall mode) Uninstall, click the checkbox for "Factory Reset" and follow the prompts. Instead of choosing Reboot, click Shutdown. After it shuts down, pull the card, and boot it up again, Windows should be reset at this point, and the card (which should be sitting on the workbench at this point) should be reset too.

Shut the PC down, Pop the card in, and boot up. When you install the Ceton Software, DESELECT NETWORK TUNERS. This should get you up with a fresh start.

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Wed Feb 18, 2015 2:42 am

Here are the directions to reset your tuner

http://www.missingremote.com/guide/ceto ... stallation
Attachments
InfiniFactoryReset.jpg

JayZe73

Post by JayZe73 » Wed Feb 18, 2015 2:51 am

I will look that over thank you.

I tried everything else you and Sharky suggested. I also just finally got a reply from Ceton saying the card is suffering from hardware damage and they will not support it and its out of warranty. They told me to buy a new 6 tuner.

I also was looking at this site http://www.avsforum.com/forum/26-home-t ... lient.html for resetting the stuck GEORGE tuners

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Wed Feb 18, 2015 3:05 am

JayZe73 wrote:I will look that over thank you.

I tried everything else you and Sharky suggested. I also just finally got a reply from Ceton saying the card is suffering from hardware damage and they will not support it and its out of warranty. They told me to buy a new 6 tuner.

I also was looking at this site http://www.avsforum.com/forum/26-home-t ... lient.html for resetting the stuck GEORGE tuners
There is nothing to lose then, two choices, both of them involving GEORGE. ReName whatever you have to to GEORGE and drive em till they drop, or try a reset while you have them GEORGE'D.

JayZe73

Post by JayZe73 » Wed Feb 18, 2015 3:09 am

Yeah Im going to do that for now and order a new one. I also have a HD Homerun Prime. Only problem with that things is a get jitters while watching live tv.

Sancho

Post by Sancho » Wed Feb 18, 2015 1:53 pm

Thought I'd share this tip based on the experience I just had.

One of my InfiniTV 4s went bad, probably the flash RAM chip or whatever they use, as flashing firmware stopped working, as did the ability to change the Network Settings. I'd been using it in Bridged mode for Network Tuners, and it is now stuck with an IP of 10.0.0.2. I've tried all manner of resets, but it can't be changed. Ceton agreed it's defective, but since it's over a year since I bought it, and since they no longer make the '4', the best they could do were a couple deals on a new or refurbished '6'. I declined, as the '6' doesn't support Network Tuners (someone suggested a hack/work around exists). So I bought an old hardware rev. '4' off eBay.

At first I thought it, too, was defective, as the LED constantly flashed blue regardless of the PC in which it was installed. More importantly, the Diagnostic Tool could not find the device. I was ready to reinstall Windows when it occurred to me to reset the Network and, more importantly, the Tuners (and then Rediscover them). From mucking about with the original defective unit, I knew that once I hit on the correct configuration, the Diag. Tool would recognize it and display its ID. So I left the Diag. Tool open while I tried various things. When I reset the Network in the Tool, there was no change, but as soon as I reset the Tuners, the device appeared, and the blue LED went solid.

From there I was able to connect to the device's page and update the firmware to the latest pre-Beta. Even dealing with Comcast to get it paired with the CableCARD wasn't too bad, though my wife is now convinced the Indian girl who fielded my call is dreaming about coming to America, esp. since she kept calling me "Sir <first name>" ;)

Hope this tip proves useful to someone sometime.

[Moderator note: topic merged]

JayZe73

Post by JayZe73 » Wed Feb 18, 2015 2:17 pm

I've tried resetting numberois times. My other problem is its stuck with the old owners computer name of GEORGE. I really dontbwant to use that as my computer name. Ceton told me there was a hardware failure and since they don't make that card anymore they won't support it. In going to try a few more things this evening. Thanks for your help.

Sancho

Post by Sancho » Wed Feb 18, 2015 2:45 pm

Ah, sorry to hear that. Sounds like my old defective card, where some settings are now stuck. Hope you get it going, but it might be worth getting another used one, if you can.

cwinfield

Post by cwinfield » Wed Feb 18, 2015 3:54 pm

JayZe73 wrote:I've tried resetting numberois times. My other problem is its stuck with the old owners computer name of GEORGE. I really dontbwant to use that as my computer name. Ceton told me there was a hardware failure and since they don't make that card anymore they won't support it. In going to try a few more things this evening. Thanks for your help.
You could try downgrading the fw & hw which may unstick the settings:
http://update.cetoncorp.com/get/infinit ... _8_2.IMAGE
http://update.cetoncorp.com/get/infinit ... 6408.IMAGE

Sancho

Post by Sancho » Wed Feb 18, 2015 4:03 pm

cwinfield wrote:
JayZe73 wrote:I've tried resetting numberois times. My other problem is its stuck with the old owners computer name of GEORGE. I really dontbwant to use that as my computer name. Ceton told me there was a hardware failure and since they don't make that card anymore they won't support it. In going to try a few more things this evening. Thanks for your help.
I could be wrong, but I think there's a Catch-22 going on. If the Diag Tool can't detect the device, there's no way to get to the web page to flash anything. I tried many different things to access the card via a browser, but until the Diag Tool detected it, I never got in. If the used card is defective, like my old card, esp. if the IP address is stuck on some pre-configured address, unless you know that IP, you'll never get in, unless you're incredibly lucky. With my old card, I could get in to 10.0.0.2 (its stuck IP), so long as I set up everything correctly (in this case, bridged, with the MAC port network device set to the 10.0.0.0 network). Only then did the Diag Tool see the card. I could make that work without having the Network Tuners component installed, and without setting Allow Bridging to Yes.

But that's just one possible scenario, and it depends on how screwed up the card is.

cwinfield

Post by cwinfield » Wed Feb 18, 2015 4:27 pm

Sancho wrote:
cwinfield wrote:
I could be wrong, but I think there's a Catch-22 going on. If the Diag Tool can't detect the device, there's no way to get to the web page to flash anything. I tried many different things to access the card via a browser, but until the Diag Tool detected it, I never got in. If the used card is defective, like my old card, esp. if the IP address is stuck on some pre-configured address, unless you know that IP, you'll never get in, unless you're incredibly lucky. With my old card, I could get in to 10.0.0.2 (its stuck IP), so long as I set up everything correctly (in this case, bridged, with the MAC port network device set to the 10.0.0.0 network). Only then did the Diag Tool see the card. I could make that work without having the Network Tuners component installed, and without setting Allow Bridging to Yes.

But that's just one possible scenario, and it depends on how screwed up the card is.
Your right, I wonder if you could set a IP using the network connections and configuring an IPv4 manually.

JayZe73

Post by JayZe73 » Wed Feb 18, 2015 4:34 pm

I can access the browser page for the card if my connection is bridged. In fact the card works if bridged and I have and ip of 10.0.0.105 but if its not bridged it goes to the autoconfig ip is 169.xxx etc. I just want to get the tuners in assigned. I can live with the bridged connection. As long as my plex still works.

Sancho

Post by Sancho » Wed Feb 18, 2015 4:42 pm

cwinfield wrote:Your right, I wonder if you could set a IP using the network connections and configuring an IPv4 manually.
I tried setting a static IP in the Ceton network device, but that never helped, even when I set it to 10.0.0.2. Again, seemed to be a detection issue. Another thing I noticed was that the Ceton network device had a "Local Area Connection" label, with the "Ceton" bit being more of a sub-label. After it was detected, and as it is with my other, problem-free InfiniTV 4, the network device is named "Ceton InfiniTV PCIe (<MAC or whatever>)". If it were just a matter of accessing the IP assigned to the network device, one could just use the 169.254.x.x address that Windows assigns it. If you look at the network Status | Details of a properly working InfiniTV 4, you'll see that it's using 192.168.200.1 as a DHCP server. That's the default network setting when not bridged. Failure to detect the card and the lack of access to the default DHCP server seem related, and at least in my example, are due to defective hardware.

Sancho

Post by Sancho » Wed Feb 18, 2015 4:46 pm

JayZe73 wrote:I can access the browser page for the card if my connection is bridged. In fact the card works if bridged and I have and ip of 10.0.0.105 but if its not bridged it goes to the autoconfig ip is 169.xxx etc. I just want to get the tuners in assigned. I can live with the bridged connection. As long as my plex still works.
When you access the System tab and then Network Settings, what do you see? Are you able to set a different static IP or make any other settings change and have it stick? Like you, my card worked other than the network settings and inability to flash firmware problems. There are a couple InfiniTV 4s on eBay right now, one of which has the new hardware with the longer silver cover over the circuit board.

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Wed Feb 18, 2015 7:24 pm

Why can't he just do a Network Reset from within WMC? Like Post #26 above^^

Is Network Tuners even installed inside WMC?

cwinfield

Post by cwinfield » Wed Feb 18, 2015 7:33 pm

Crash2009 wrote:Why can't he just do a Network Reset from within WMC? Like Post #26 above^^

Is Network Tuners even installed inside WMC?
I dunno but that is a good suggestion. The network tuners setup now installs into extras but I would definitely try running the wizard while bridged and reset to factory defaults before trying anything else.