Best Router/Network Config for WMC 7

Troubleshoot and discuss the XBOX 360, XBOX One, Linksys, and other extenders.
rickshtpc

HTPC Specs: Show details

Best Router/Network Config for WMC 7

Post by rickshtpc » Wed Feb 11, 2015 7:29 pm

I am using two Xbox 360's as WMC extenders through a Cat5e wired network. OTA signal thorugh HD Homerun Dual. Router is a DLink DIR615. Do I need to configure my router in specific ways to get best signal and network quality? I have some pixelating on some channels (may be router settings, antenna direction, or both). If anyone has a similar setup and can recommend a better router for use with Xbox360/WMC and other media streaming, please let me know. Thx

Bryan

Post by Bryan » Thu Feb 12, 2015 12:17 am

I would use a separate switch, connect devices to that, and the switch to the router. Much cheaper than a new router and works well. I use the blue Netgears as well as an HP, for what it's worth.

DanH

Post by DanH » Thu Feb 12, 2015 1:31 am

You want a gigabit switch with a gigabit Ethernet port on the PC. That will give you a 1000mbps connection between the switch and PC. Everything else will likely connect at 100mbps. Connect your existing router to the switch to maintain internet connectivity from this network.
Was Danh_HP_m376n

cwinfield

Post by cwinfield » Thu Feb 12, 2015 2:41 am

The switch suggestions are good but if your looking to replace your router for newer wifi features, etc, then I would suggest netgear. Asus are also popular with many users on this site.

soapdishbandit

Post by soapdishbandit » Thu Feb 12, 2015 9:18 pm

Most routers/switches of decent quality should do the trick. I've read that older routers and switches can be an issue, especially when switching from 100 mbps Fast Ethernet to 1.0 gbps. My system flow is: Main PC (mobo built-in intel 82579 Gigabit ethernet) to Netgear N600 WNDR 3700v3 gitabit wireless N router. From there one 360 is connected via the 4 ports on the back of the Netgear, and the other is then connected from the 4th port to Trednet Green 8-port gigabit switch (sharing other network connections) to powerline 200mpb/s powerline adapter to guest bedroom.

rickshtpc

Post by rickshtpc » Thu Feb 19, 2015 4:41 pm

Thanks for the suggestions! I was trying a Cisco/Linksys SR216 switch, but it is only 10/100. That may be the problem. I did move one Xbox back direct to the router and saw less video freezes. Moved the second one as well, but it still shows poor network performance on Xbox self-test, even hard-wired to network. I thought that was odd. I may also need a dedicated box running Win7 WMC and nothing else as processor may be clogging and causing some of the video freezes.

rickshtpc

Post by rickshtpc » Mon Feb 23, 2015 7:34 pm

I updated the router and switch to 10G. Made a difference. So you have your xbox plugged into the router port, not the switch? Why? How did you open/configure ports with two xboxes? I heard that since only one device can use the ports at a time, you had to place the second on DMX maybe? Port forwarding or triggering?