The End is Nigh(ish)

Chat with other TGB members about whatever is on your mind.
acraigl

HTPC Specs: Show details

The End is Nigh(ish)

Post by acraigl » Wed Feb 11, 2015 4:39 pm

Been using WMC happily for a while -- my first build was in 2007, with Vista and have been running on Windows 7 since then. My last hardware refresh was 2 years ago, and it's still running strong. (Almost) never any issues and in general, it continues to run trouble-free, day-in, day out. I have the Ceton Eth 6-tuner and two echos to cover the other TVs in the house. I have automation with DVRMSToolbox, commercial/skip removal with comskip. My favorite TV shows download to my tablet and I enjoy remote streaming with Plex. Everything's great.

So what's with this post? This is the last refresh. My cable provider provides remote scheduling, remote streaming (live, recordings and on demand content). The now have echo-sized devices to enable other tvs without hosting a full cable box. The offer download to go. Feature parity has minimized my desire to build/support/maintain my own cable system. Yes, there will be some changes, and missing the commercial skip will be the worst of it. My media center may continue to run for months or years and I'll let it. But once it goes, it's gone.

For the record, I loved this project and this community. I haven't posted in forever because my system is just so stable. But with improvements to the service I'm already paying for, I think I've run out of runway on it.
Wondering if this is just me, or others are making similar considerations?

3rob3

Post by 3rob3 » Wed Feb 11, 2015 5:01 pm

I would say a good deal of people get into Media Center to avoid the cost of renting cable company equipment.

mdavej

Post by mdavej » Wed Feb 11, 2015 5:15 pm

3rob3 wrote:I would say a good deal of people get into Media Center to avoid the cost of renting cable company equipment.
Yep. Saving money is the number one reason I put up with WMC. I rented DVRs far superior to WMC for years when I had satellite. But it cost a fortune, as do today's solutions. When I see what my bill would be, I'm not at all tempted to consider leasing cable company equipment again. There's something to be said for leaving support to the cable co. as well, but it's still just far too expensive. I save about $1000/yr with WMC and will continue to use it as long as I possibly can. When I do eventually replace WMC, it will probably be with Tivo, if I still have cable, or OpenELEC on a cheap Android, if I only do OTA and the web.

Bryan

Post by Bryan » Wed Feb 11, 2015 5:17 pm

3rob3 wrote:I would say a good deal of people get into Media Center to avoid the cost of renting cable company equipment.
For me, Media Center was better than any equipment the cable company had at the time. However, not renting equipment was a big thing for me too, I highly prefer owning everything.

I've just finished dropping cable, but am keeping Media Center for over the air. Xboxes are handling extender duty as well as Netflix and Amazon. I suppose I could switch to something else for recording, but I'm not too worried about it for now.

kd6icz

Post by kd6icz » Thu Feb 12, 2015 7:20 am

For me it's a hobby. I love building monster TV servers with tons of storage and more tuners than anyone on earth needs! In the two years I've been into this hobby I've spent over $2500 on stuff to make it all happen. So saving money is not the reason for me. My cable company (TWC) just started offering the new 6 tuner 1TB Arris STB. 6 tuners ok but 1TB? They're charging somewhere around $25 per month for it. I just finished my second system yesterday which has 12 tuners and 18TB of storage. Now that's more my speed. I'm ready for baseball season! Well as soon as I add 3 more TV's and network extenders.

STC

Post by STC » Thu Feb 12, 2015 6:58 pm

Slowly becoming EOL for our family. Waiting for the 6 year old HTPC to go bang then briefly on to a stock cableCARD TiVoHD to get by whilst deciding how to evolve. Right now it's the Roamio but we don't know what intriguing solution that fits our lifestyle will be available when the time comes.
By the Community, for the Community. 100% Commercial Free.

Want decent guide data back? Check out EPG123

eeprom

Post by eeprom » Thu Feb 12, 2015 10:09 pm

Been using Media Center since 2005. For me, there’s no way a cheap box from my provider will ever compete with what’s possible from a full featured PC. MC may be a dead platform, but it’s still a solid DVR and decent launching point for other content. I can’t imagine dumping it any time soon.

mcewinter

Post by mcewinter » Thu Feb 12, 2015 10:42 pm

eeprom wrote:Been using Media Center since 2005. For me, there’s no way a cheap box from my provider will ever compete with what’s possible from a full featured PC. MC may be a dead platform, but it’s still a solid DVR and decent launching point for other content. I can’t imagine dumping it any time soon.
Exactly. If you use MC for more than TV then you understand that nothing carries the same value.

adam1991

Post by adam1991 » Fri Feb 13, 2015 12:37 am

When I finally get an antenna up and cut the cord, WMC is the only answer.

Let me tell you, Sling TV is a game changer. I don't watch live TV, but my wife asked me about her shows should we cut the cord. Well, guess what--I can get her HGTV and DIY and whatnot, all from Sling for $25/month.

That still leaves $50/month in my pocket from not paying the cable company.

LuckyDay

Post by LuckyDay » Fri Feb 13, 2015 12:40 am

They also just added AMC to Sling which helps me.

I have a friend who got in on Sling this week and is trying it out, I'm excited to see how well it works.

steveo_in_sd

Post by steveo_in_sd » Fri Feb 13, 2015 4:29 am

adam1991 wrote:When I finally get an antenna up and cut the cord, WMC is the only answer.

Let me tell you, Sling TV is a game changer. I don't watch live TV, but my wife asked me about her shows should we cut the cord. Well, guess what--I can get her HGTV and DIY and whatnot, all from Sling for $25/month.

That still leaves $50/month in my pocket from not paying the cable company.
Sling TV would be awesome, a true cable alternative, if only they had an 'on demand' component included or a means to record. My family hasn't watched a program as it aired for several years now, and the only live TV we ever play is the morning news while we are getting ready for the day. If they develop that capability, my cable sub will be gone in a heartbeat now that HBO will have the internet sub offering shortly and can fill our movie programing needs.

adam1991

Post by adam1991 » Fri Feb 13, 2015 6:36 am

yeah, that would indeed be a true game changer.

And I agree with you--I haven't watched TV as it aired for I don't know how long now. I refuse to. But my wife still likes to have something on in the background now and then, and it's generally something Sling TV offers.

And since Sling is on Roku, and all of my TVs are so equipped, problem solved.

Me, if I don't get Cutthroat Kitchen or Pawn Stars, my life will not change one bit. It's how it goes. I will happily take that hit.

I just have to get the antenna up. And no, the attic is not an alternative, so...

LuckyDay

Post by LuckyDay » Fri Feb 13, 2015 5:26 pm

Almost every channel available on Sling has it's own streaming app, so if you have something like a Roku or Xbox 360 you have all or most of their content on demand in addition to the live option.

DrSmith

Post by DrSmith » Fri Feb 13, 2015 6:24 pm

I cannot imagine moving to CableCo DVRs. I don't see "feature parity" that the OP does and I do see monthly savings from owning my equipment. But I also see our family watching more and more streaming these days. Unfortunately I can imagine a future where everyone streams and DVRs are obsolete.

Bryan

Post by Bryan » Fri Feb 13, 2015 7:20 pm

LuckyDay wrote:Almost every channel available on Sling has it's own streaming app, so if you have something like a Roku or Xbox 360 you have all or most of their content on demand in addition to the live option.
Don't those require a cable sign-in though?

LuckyDay

Post by LuckyDay » Fri Feb 13, 2015 8:09 pm

Depends on the channel. But Sling is provided by Dish, so I'm wondering whether you could just use your Sling login for the channels you have a subscription to.

adam1991

Post by adam1991 » Fri Feb 13, 2015 11:24 pm

The difference is, the content they provide on Roku isn't the content they provide on cable TV.

If you want the cable TV experience, the only way to get it is by spending money--with the cable company, or with Sling TV.

LuckyDay

Post by LuckyDay » Sat Feb 14, 2015 12:05 am

adam1991 wrote:The difference is, the content they provide on Roku isn't the content they provide on cable TV.

If you want the cable TV experience, the only way to get it is by spending money--with the cable company, or with Sling TV.
In most cases you are right about that, but some channels offer virtually everything on their app that they do on TV.

ESPN is probably the best example. With your cable login you get the live feeds of every channel along with all of the extra content.

A decent amount of others offer Live TV as well as archives of every show through the web/roku apps as well, the first ones that come to mind are all of the NBC Universal channels (USA/Bravo, and others).

Of course if a sling/Dish login doesn't work for these services it's a moot point, but it's worth looking into.

Ed 

Post by Ed  » Sat Feb 14, 2015 5:35 am

^ The FXNow app and Showtime Anytime app also have live feeds (for both East and West Coast); along with all their content on demand.

adam1991

Post by adam1991 » Sat Feb 14, 2015 5:46 am

Huh. USA and Bravo are on Roku? Can't find them...