Search not working, guide goes to recorded programs, etc

Global guide related discussion. All Windows versions.
haydongreenbutton

HTPC Specs: Show details

Search not working, guide goes to recorded programs, etc

Post by haydongreenbutton » Tue Feb 10, 2015 5:28 pm

Okay, so I've got a few problems that have cropped up on my WMC.

Worst is that Search is not working. If I go into the search screen and start typing I get "no results". I get this for everything. Any single character, things that are in my scheduled recordings, etc. It's completely broken. Any ideas what the cause is or how to fix it? (And please, don't suggest searching for a solution. I have and I went into it knowing that "search" is a terrible search term!)

Second, and maybe related, is that when I use the TV bar and select "Guide" from it I get put into the recorded program list.

I have Recorded TV HD installed which is the only thing that's not stock WMC. I also have ~1800 programs recorded which I imagine isn't something that was anticipated by the developers.

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Tue Feb 10, 2015 9:26 pm

Maybe WMC is not being Indexed any more.

Click Start/type Index/Click on Indexing Options
Attachments
WMCIndexingOptions.JPG

Scallica

Post by Scallica » Wed Feb 11, 2015 3:37 am

haydongreenbutton wrote: Second, and maybe related, is that when I use the TV bar and select "Guide" from it I get put into the recorded program list.
The behavior is a known bug in WMC. Press up or down in the main menu then try the guide again, or press the guide button on the remote.
HTPC Enthusiast / Forum Moderator - TGB.tv Code of Conduct

haydongreenbutton

Post by haydongreenbutton » Wed Feb 11, 2015 7:17 pm

Crash2009 wrote:Maybe WMC is not being Indexed any more.
Indeed it was, thank you! Everything is indexed and searchable now. Search works.

Using Google to find "windows media center index" this comes up:
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/wind ... fa2d2533d2

So "index" was the magic search term. This is incredibly non-obvious to have this setting completely outside the application and the application not tell you anything helpful. But glad to know and have it working.

haydongreenbutton

Post by haydongreenbutton » Wed Feb 11, 2015 7:18 pm

Scallica wrote:
haydongreenbutton wrote: Second, and maybe related, is that when I use the TV bar and select "Guide" from it I get put into the recorded program list.
The behavior is a known bug in WMC. Press up or down in the main menu then try the guide again, or press the guide button on the remote.
Will try that next time I see it. I've seen this quite a number of times come and go but never knew there was a workaround. Again, thanks!