XBox 360 slow to change channels with Live TV

Troubleshoot and discuss the XBOX 360, XBOX One, Linksys, and other extenders.
lonepalm

HTPC Specs: Show details

XBox 360 slow to change channels with Live TV

Post by lonepalm » Tue Feb 10, 2015 2:53 pm

So as some of you may know/remember, I am completely new to this stuff (I've asked a few questions here). I don't recall if the XBox 360 was slow to change channels when I first set this up, but as I am getting slightly more comfortable with this stuff I am noticing that it is really slow to change channels while watching live tv. Is this typical? I would have thought that if it was always like this, I would have thought this when I first set it up, but I don't recall this lag. It is probably a 5 second lag when changing channels.

DrSmith

Post by DrSmith » Tue Feb 10, 2015 4:38 pm

Is anything else laggy? Like pause/resume or back/now playing menu interaction? Or is it JUST channel change that is slow? And your HTPC specs mention 2 Xbox 360s. Do you see the channel change being slow on both?

lonepalm

Post by lonepalm » Tue Feb 10, 2015 4:47 pm

DrSmith wrote:Is anything else laggy? Like pause/resume or back/now playing menu interaction? Or is it JUST channel change that is slow? And your HTPC specs mention 2 Xbox 360s. Do you see the channel change being slow on both?
Pause/resume is seems speedy (pause and then almost immediate resume). The back/now playing menu interaction also appears to be snappy. Fast forwarding isn't necessarily slow or laggy, but the picture has a sputtering effect, it isn't a smooth fast forward (not sure if that is normal or not -- it is fairly smooth on the PC, but I realize I am not going to get the exact same experience on an extender). It really is changing channels that is really slow. Yes, both are slow and laggy on changing channels. Thanks!

DrSmith

Post by DrSmith » Tue Feb 10, 2015 5:31 pm

Kinda, sorta sounds like a tuner issue, rather than the extender. But channel change is still snappy on the main WMC display?

lonepalm

Post by lonepalm » Tue Feb 10, 2015 5:45 pm

DrSmith wrote:Kinda, sorta sounds like a tuner issue, rather than the extender. But channel change is still snappy on the main WMC display?
Yep, on the PC itself, the channel changes in about 1 second or so. It isn't instant, but it is fast, and much faster than on the TVs with the extenders.

DrSmith

Post by DrSmith » Tue Feb 10, 2015 6:02 pm

Are all devices (PC, Ceton, Xboxen) using wired connections connected to a single router? Do you have QoS/WMM (WiFi multimedia) enabled on the router(s)? Sorry to bombard you with questions. I run 3 XBox extenders, but have never seen your particular anomaly.

lonepalm

Post by lonepalm » Tue Feb 10, 2015 6:08 pm

DrSmith wrote:Are all devices (PC, Ceton, Xboxen) using wired connections connected to a single router? Do you have QoS/WMM (WiFi multimedia) enabled on the router(s)? Sorry to bombard you with questions. I run 3 XBox extenders, but have never seen your particular anomaly.
Please bombard me! That's the only way we can (hopefully) get this figured out. I do have a single modem/router (FiOS - combined unit). The PC is directly connected to the router via ethernet. The Xboxes are connected to a Moca adapter. The Moca adapters work together with the FiOS router (and is made by the same company). Because of this, I expect a little bit of a delay as compared to the PC, but it seems a little bit dramatic to me the way it currently is.

I'm not sure about QoS/WMM enabled or not...not sure I even know where to check.

DrSmith

Post by DrSmith » Tue Feb 10, 2015 6:20 pm

lonepalm wrote:I'm not sure about QoS/WMM enabled or not...not sure I even know where to check.
QoS/WMM is probably not important, unless you are running video over WiFi. I got ahead of myself with 2 questions in one post, haha.

So, yeah this may have something to do with the amount of video traffic streaming through the router. More likely is a side-effect of MoCa being half-duplex. I'm not a MoCa user, so I'm going to "go quiet" now. There are other forum folks with MoCa experience. Let's hope one of them chimes in. Otherwise, if there is any way you can temporarily connect an Xbox with true ethernet... That would be my next experiement.

lonepalm

Post by lonepalm » Tue Feb 10, 2015 6:29 pm

DrSmith wrote:
lonepalm wrote:I'm not sure about QoS/WMM enabled or not...not sure I even know where to check.
QoS/WMM is probably not important, unless you are running video over WiFi. I got ahead of myself with 2 questions in one post, haha.

So, yeah this may have something to do with the amount of video traffic streaming through the router. More likely is a side-effect of MoCa being half-duplex. I'm not a MoCa user, so I'm going to "go quiet" now. There are other forum folks with MoCa experience. Let's hope one of them chimes in. Otherwise, if there is any way you can temporarily connect an Xbox with true ethernet... That would be my next experiement.
Admittedly, I am not very technical when it comes to this sort of stuff (amount of video streaming, etc). However, we've always only had just the one TV going at the same time and MAYBE a recording or two being recorded, all at the same time. Typically though, it is just the one TV that is on and utilizing the tuner. Not sure if that matters to what you are referring to.