Antenna advice

A place to talk about GPUs/Motherboards/CPUs/Cases/Remotes, etc.
Bryan

HTPC Specs: Show details

Antenna advice

Post by Bryan » Sun Feb 01, 2015 4:50 pm

I'm considering cutting the cord, but would keep WMC for OTA broadcasts as well as previously recorded content. I'm looking for a bit of input on the antenna, however. In a closet on our second floor, I have our networking equipment as well as a home server. I would like to place an antenna in the attic above it. According to antennaweb, most of the stations I'd like to get are at 89°, and only about ten miles away. However, one is nearly the opposite, 307° and 30 miles. In the past, I did OTA for a bit, and had luck with most stations with a small antenna on our fence, but I don't remember if I was able to get the far channel.

What should I be looking for? Do I need a multidirectional, or would something simpler work? I know the ranges aren't really big as far as this stuff goes, but not sure about the directions. I didn't really want to spend a ton on an antenna, especially since I'll need a tuner as well, but I don't want something wrong, either.

LuckyDay

Post by LuckyDay » Sun Feb 01, 2015 5:41 pm

Without knowing what kind of area you live in (hills/flat, lots of buildings or interference, etc.) I would expect if you put the antenna in the attic you should have luck with a good quality amplified multi directional.

I live about 17 miles from one of the stations that I receive with just a regular antenna in my basement, in a regular suburb with probably average terrain and interference. If you've got your antenna up 20-30 feet you'll get even better results.

Bryan

Post by Bryan » Sun Feb 01, 2015 5:55 pm

It's relatively flat (north Alabama), and the nearby stations are on a small mountain. No big buildings nearby, primarily neighborhoods. On antennaweb, the nearby channels are rated Yellow; the further one is Blue. Is an amplified antenna one with a small power plug attached to the coax, or is the amp something separate?

It occurs to me I have this antenna at work: http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=1 ... 1&format=2, plus an old tuner, I may grab that and see what happens. I used a similar antenna before but as I mentioned it's been long enough I don't remember what it picked up.

LuckyDay

Post by LuckyDay » Sun Feb 01, 2015 7:26 pm

Bryan wrote:It's relatively flat (north Alabama), and the nearby stations are on a small mountain. No big buildings nearby, primarily neighborhoods. On antennaweb, the nearby channels are rated Yellow; the further one is Blue. Is an amplified antenna one with a small power plug attached to the coax, or is the amp something separate?

It occurs to me I have this antenna at work: http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=1 ... 1&format=2, plus an old tuner, I may grab that and see what happens. I used a similar antenna before but as I mentioned it's been long enough I don't remember what it picked up.
Yeah I would grab that one if you have it and give it a shot. Depending on how high your attic is it sounds like you'll have good luck, at the very least with the closer stations. Part of the key is getting it into the right spot also.

Amplified antennas do plug in. They're not always better, but the one I use has been working for me.

You don't necessarily have to go for the higher priced ones for indoor antennas either. I have a $5.99 RCA that I use on a small TV in the garage and it gets me 12-15 channels perfectly with only minimal fuss (have to position it just right, but once it's there it gets the job done. ).

LuckyDay

Post by LuckyDay » Sun Feb 01, 2015 7:27 pm

And just curious, what tuner do you currently use with WMC? Is it a cable card tuner?

Bryan

Post by Bryan » Sun Feb 01, 2015 7:56 pm

Yeah, I currently have an infiniTV4. I'm eying one of the HDHR models if I go this route. We currently have Comcast and one of their digital packages with 25Mbps for $150/month; WOW will do 25Mbps for a year for $35/month, then $65. We've more and more been using Netflix and only channels I can get OTA.

LuckyDay

Post by LuckyDay » Sun Feb 01, 2015 8:00 pm

The reason I ask is your cable card tuner should pick up all of the local over the air channels even without you subscribing to the digital cable.

I'm actually using WOW right now with a cablecard to just get the locals in HD through it. It may take some jumping through hoops to get them to give you a cablecard, but if you have a local WOW office near you I find they're better to work with than the customer support through the phone.

RyC

Post by RyC » Sun Feb 01, 2015 8:15 pm

Really? They gave you a CableCARD to get the locals even though you didn't subscribe to TV service?

LuckyDay

Post by LuckyDay » Sun Feb 01, 2015 9:12 pm

I asked them to keep it after I canceled TV service a while back and they let me have it. But they are pretty easy to work with, I'm fairly confident if I went to my local office and just asked for another one they would give me it no questions asked.

They may charge you the $2.50 fee (they waive that fee when you have the digital cable), but that's a small cost.

RyC

Post by RyC » Sun Feb 01, 2015 9:56 pm

Very nice, I doubt Comcast or Charter would let you do that, especially since it's all digital for much of Comcast/Charter areas now requiring a CableCARD or box to get TV at all.

LuckyDay

Post by LuckyDay » Mon Feb 02, 2015 3:20 am

RyC wrote:Very nice, I doubt Comcast or Charter would let you do that, especially since it's all digital for much of Comcast/Charter areas now requiring a CableCARD or box to get TV at all.
Yeah but the OP is getting Wow, which is what I have.

Bryan

Post by Bryan » Mon Feb 02, 2015 3:51 am

Okay, using the Monoprice antenna sitting on top of the sofa, attached to a 950Q USB tuner and my laptop, I can pick up the near stations no issue, but nothing from the further one. I'm starting to remember never getting that one before. Guess I'll have to find a decent multidirectional antenna.

Interesting tip about the cablecard, thanks. I kind of like the idea of using OTA instead, but that'd be handy too.

Bryan

Post by Bryan » Mon Feb 02, 2015 3:52 am

LuckyDay wrote:
RyC wrote:Very nice, I doubt Comcast or Charter would let you do that, especially since it's all digital for much of Comcast/Charter areas now requiring a CableCARD or box to get TV at all.
The last time I used OTA and had Comcast just for internet, they eventually gave me basic cable for free. Of course, it required using their DTA, which was almost worse than not having free basic cable.

LuckyDay

Post by LuckyDay » Mon Feb 02, 2015 4:58 am

Bryan wrote:
LuckyDay wrote:
The last time I used OTA and had Comcast just for internet, they eventually gave me basic cable for free. Of course, it required using their DTA, which was almost worse than not having free basic cable.
No DTA needed when getting OTA or basic cable through a cable card. It tunes it all fine through my WOW cable card via an HD Homerun Prime.

May be worth a shot seeing if you can get them to give you a card when you sign up.

jmebeedie

Post by jmebeedie » Mon Feb 02, 2015 2:02 pm

Might wanna checkout TVFool.com for more info as to your signal strengths if you haven't done so already.

blueiedgod

Post by blueiedgod » Mon Feb 02, 2015 2:16 pm

This antenna from Sears for $18 works well in the attic for us. We are getting stations from about 50 miles away

http://www.sears.com/quantum-fx-hd-dtv- ... ckType=G13

Bryan

Post by Bryan » Mon Feb 02, 2015 4:37 pm

jmebeedie wrote:Might wanna checkout TVFool.com for more info as to your signal strengths if you haven't done so already.
Yeah, I've spent a lot of time on there. The bulk of the stations I need are line-of-sight, but the one 30-mile one is 2Edge. It may be tricky to pick that one up. It's the CW (my wife is a Supernatural fan); it may be easier to buy her a season pass on Amazon. On the other hand, the geek in me wants to pick it up.

I'm thinking I may call WOW and tell them I'll switch today if they throw in the cablecard access. Otherwise they'll have to wait until I get OTA setup.

dmagerl

Post by dmagerl » Mon Feb 02, 2015 6:00 pm

You might consider a second antenna pointed at Louisville, maybe a small uhf yagi (assuming its a UHF station). Then dedicate one of your tuners to that antenna (assuming you have multiple tuners). You essentially tell WMC to use only that tuner for Louisville stations and the other tuners for all other stations.

Bryan

Post by Bryan » Mon Feb 02, 2015 6:40 pm

I was planning on getting one of the HDHomeRun tuners if I went this route, but wasn't sure about how to use multiple antennas with one.

dmagerl

Post by dmagerl » Mon Feb 02, 2015 7:29 pm

You'd either need to get two HDhomeruns and do 2 tuners per ant, or find an older hdhomerun without the internal splitter. Or combine an HDhomerun with a PCIe single tuner.