XBox 360 cannot Play Live TV or Recorded TV

Troubleshoot and discuss the XBOX 360, XBOX One, Linksys, and other extenders.
Befuddled

HTPC Specs: Show details

XBox 360 cannot Play Live TV or Recorded TV

Post by Befuddled » Sat Jan 24, 2015 12:58 am

When trying to play Live TV or Recorded TV on XBox WMC Extender receive the following error:

"Files needed to play video are not installed..."

XBox can play videos. CANNOT play Live TV, Recorded TV
WMC (Win 7) CAN play videos, Live TV, Recorded TV (including DRM)

Using HDHomeRun Prime as TV source
Have downloaded Optional Media Update to XBox (cannot find a way to "install", is the install automatic based on download?)
AUDIO is set up through HDMI connection

Have both XBox and Win 7 PC on the same ethernet switch (for now)
Ethernet switch is connected via Actiontec ECB2200 to a MoCA network on a MoCA capable Router (40'). All devices communicate.
Both Win 7 PC and Xbox are currently, directly connected to same TV via HDMI (2 separate HDMI inputs)

Have tried rebooting all devices including router, deleting/reinstalling extender, etc. etc.

What else can I check, install to be able to use XBox Media Extender to view Live TV and recorded TV.

adam1991

Post by adam1991 » Sat Jan 24, 2015 1:04 am

Did you install additional codec packs on your WMC computer?

Befuddled

Post by Befuddled » Sat Jan 24, 2015 1:06 am

Didn't for past several weeks, finally gave up and installed Shark007 with suggested setttings

adam1991

Post by adam1991 » Sat Jan 24, 2015 2:14 am

OK, so:

did playback on the extender ever work?

If so, what happened between it working and it not working?

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Sat Jan 24, 2015 2:45 am

This post and this one http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/vie ... f=5&t=8356 sound like the same symptom. No Live or Recorded TV in xbox 360.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/wind ... 5ab6229ecf

Befuddled

Post by Befuddled » Sat Jan 24, 2015 3:09 am

Adam,
Just set it up Dec 30, 2014. Have not been able to get it to work. Keep trying every few days to read more and try all advice.

Befuddled

Post by Befuddled » Sat Jan 24, 2015 3:13 am

Crash,
Yes, I have already reviewed the first link. Tried suggestions. On the second, what does Barb mean a repair of the OS. Re-install Win7?

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Sat Jan 24, 2015 3:23 am

I think you would have to ask her that. I've never done a repair, only wipe it out (including the partitions) and go fresh, however, I think I have seen the repair option when I throw the Win7 disk in. As I read her words, she suggests a couple other things to try first, and Repair is the last resort.

Befuddled

Post by Befuddled » Sat Jan 24, 2015 7:02 am

Thanks Crash, have now performed her other suggestions. So guess I will try finding out about repairing OS. I think I may have done this, tho. My mind is gone since I've tried so many things over the last 3 weeks.

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Sat Jan 24, 2015 10:16 am

Befuddled wrote:Thanks Crash, have now performed her other suggestions. So guess I will try finding out about repairing OS. I think I may have done this, tho. My mind is gone since I've tried so many things over the last 3 weeks.
I think I jumped into this HTPC thing in the spring of 2012. I partitioned, formatted, installed, and configured weekly until I got it right enough to be reliable. Everybody kept telling me to make a system image, I didn't get that right until 6 months later. Now when/if one of my experiments blows up, the system image disk takes me right back to a brand new build. I have 3 reliable images. 1 on DVD of a fresh working build, and a couple more recent stored on network locations. If you don't care about losing "protected" movies or tv, go with fresh install-partition-format-install. After reading the Barb thing again, I think she was suggesting the Repair Install to save the guys protected recordings.

Befuddled

Post by Befuddled » Sat Jan 24, 2015 10:36 am

Hey Crash...Still working on this as we type. Talk about re reading. I isolated problem. Exactly the same as OP. Fail on extender Graphics. Passed on WMC check. I am running this on an Acer Revo 1600 with 2gb. Latest driver install 340.52.
I just found a site re HTPC on same device, but can't find any posts with same problem. The Revo is older but It has always played HD without a hiccup. WMC runs great on it. Really need the xbox extender for 2nd loc.

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Sat Jan 24, 2015 11:10 am

Any lightning or power failures lately? OP said his stuff stopped working Dec 26

Befuddled

Post by Befuddled » Sat Jan 24, 2015 11:24 am

None. Started setup 12/31/14.

BTW How is AA these days. Lived there a half century ago. LOL

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Sat Jan 24, 2015 11:55 am

Befuddled wrote:None. Started setup 12/31/14.

BTW How is AA these days. Lived there a half century ago. LOL
Same old s___. A little snow falls and everybody forgets how to drive.

Did you try or have any luck with Barb's New User Profile suggestion?

Have you run Malawarebytes lately?

OP was effected with an HD6800, you have an ION. Whatever this is nailed you both. There's gotta be something the same, other than the result.

Do you have the same entry's in Event Viewer? Check his. I see he has a TuneUp entry. Are you using AVG also?

Befuddled

Post by Befuddled » Sat Jan 24, 2015 12:41 pm

Did try new user profile. Nada. I'll look into your suggestions. Can't do anything more now as my monitor has been usurped by the TV viewers.

Don't miss the snow and drivers (pun intended)

Befuddled

Post by Befuddled » Sun Feb 08, 2015 4:12 pm

Finally got this fixed. I have an Acer Aspire Revo and found that many users had problems with the full driver download from Nvidia for the ion cpu/graphics board due mainly to a "hidden, network firewall" from Nvidia. Deleted all Nvidia installation/drivers except display driver, then loaded only the coprocessor driver, extracted from Nvidia driver pack.

Started Media Center on XBox wiithout any further mods. Success...Xbox, as an extender, now plays all WTV files including DRM and live TV.

DrSmith

Post by DrSmith » Sun Feb 08, 2015 9:05 pm

Befuddled wrote:"hidden, network firewall" from Nvidia.
Uggh, how maddening is that! Think you are Installing a graphics driver and you get a firewall. Install Adobe reader and you get adobe bloatware. Almost everything else you install comes with the Ask Toolbar to corrupt your browser. And then they have a checkbox (in tiny font) somewhere on the 3rd install screen to opt out, so it's not their fault.

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Sun Feb 08, 2015 9:32 pm

Yeah, Nvidia has been screwing up lately. I just read about one of their new cards, advertised to have 12 cylinders-delivered it only has 8. I suppose mistakes happen when you try too hard to get ahead of the competition, but really.....http://www.tomshardware.com/news/nvidia ... r=EPR-8886

Ucliker

Post by Ucliker » Mon Feb 09, 2015 4:52 am

First make sure if your on wifi that you do the signal scan. If your signal is low it will show that error. Next go to services.msc or control panel, services and make sure the Upnp service is running and set to automatic.

Try turning off windows firewall ( this is what worked for me).

I have the same setup as you and had to uninstall the extender and reinstall it 3 times now it works great.

This worked for some because of a conflict but not me
Open control panel, doubleclick Sound. in your active digital device settings, set it to 2.0 stereo instead of 5.1 or 7.1 surround..... Within Media Center, goto Tasks>General>Visual and under Sound Effects Turn off Navigation Sounds..... Click on Windows Media Center Setup>set up your speakers to 5.1 or 7.1 depending on your setup.

shumiron

Post by shumiron » Thu Jun 11, 2015 11:20 pm

I have the same issue with both of my XB 360 extenders. They were working great until about one week ago, now the HTPC that is running WMC is working fine but both extenders give the video error message. I went through the drills for setting up sound a couple years ago when first setting up the HTPC. I double checked today to make sure nothing had changed and all settings are correct. i turned off firewall, I turned of nav sounds. I uninstalled and reinstalled extender in WMC once. HTPC still works fine, but extenders don't. Does anyone have the magic decoder ring to fix this. Like I said both extenders were working fine until recently. Have there been any recent Win 7 updates that screwed WMC.

i did see one weird thing right about the time extenders started getting errors - I turned on HTPC and the video was ....like... magnified so the picture was way too big for the screen. I had to reboot the HTPC by manually pressingand holding power button because I couldn't navigate to the W7 start button. After restarting all was OK. Shortly after (maybe same day) I tried extender and got the error.

I don't understand why there is no error on HTPC, but there is on both extenders since extenders are actually just using the main WMC on the HTPC.

Hep ME....Hep ME