Unable to connect with app remotely

Discuss My Media Center for Windows 8, Windows RT, iOS, Android, and WP, and ask Ceton for support.
Forum rules
Ceton no longer participate in this forum. There is no official support mechanism for My Media Center.
ekw

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by ekw » Thu Jan 22, 2015 8:20 pm

in my (very weak) defense, I'm not even sure Verizon gives a copy of the manual w/ the router.
if they do, I'm sure my girlfriend has it in one of her filing cabinets!

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Thu Jan 22, 2015 9:48 pm

ekw

Post by ekw » Fri Jan 23, 2015 12:34 am

Crash2009 wrote: 1-go to whatismyip.com and write down both internal and external IP addresses.
maybe my head is made of wood, but I don't see where it shows me my internal IP address on that site.
I *do* see the external address & that does match what I get from the 'network discovery' page in the Ceton PC software.
none of the manuals on that page have instructions that match what my rule adding screen looks like.

ekw

Post by ekw » Fri Jan 23, 2015 12:42 am

cwinfield wrote:You might have respond to pings from the WAN side turned off causing the router to not respond to the app. Is this what you did?

3.2e Enable Application
Activating “Enable Application” (also known as port forwarding) allows the
network to be exposed to the Internet in certain limited and controlled ways,
enabling some applications to work from the local network (game, voice, and
chat applications, for example), as well as allowing Internet access to servers
in the local network. To set this up on a networked device, locate the device in
the My Network column, then click Enable Applications. The “Port Forwarding”
screen appears
when I go to the router, my PC is the first thing on the "my network" column.
and it says:
PC Name:
Connection Type: Wireless
IP Address: <my interal IP>
Remote Access: Enabled
which would indicate (to me) that it thinks it's ready to go.

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Fri Jan 23, 2015 12:50 am

Correct you are. whatismyip only shows you the external ip address. For the internal, open up a command prompt on the HTPC, type in ipconfig /all, your internal for the HTPC will be the number to the right of IPv4 Address. Do a screen capture and show me what you got.

cwinfield

Post by cwinfield » Fri Jan 23, 2015 12:53 am

That's strange that it doesn't match the settings your seeing. Normally you have to name the application, give it the destination IP, then the internal and external ports. None of which I'm seeing on your screen capture. You can't update the firmware for the router because it does it by itself, call Verizon or get your own router that is more user friendly. It should tell you your IP on the PC in MMC advanced network tab.

ekw

Post by ekw » Fri Jan 23, 2015 1:10 am

on the port forwarding set up page:
if I put 5832 in as source, destination & forward to, it allows it, but the Ceton port forwarding test fails.
if I do source 5832, destination "any", and forward to 5832, I get two conflicts w/ Skype and can't save it.
if I do source "any, destination 5832 and forward to 5832 it allows it, and the Ceton port forwarding test succeeds.

since this is different than what I had before (forward to is specified as 5832 instead of "same as incoming port", I'm going to test against that tomorrow.

I did a ping test on my machine, and it succeeded, but I am not sure how it could fail, given that it's the machine I am using right now,
therefore it has to be connected to the router & the internet, because I am ON the internet.

ekw

Post by ekw » Fri Jan 23, 2015 1:16 am

Crash2009 wrote:Correct you are. whatismyip only shows you the external ip address. For the internal, open up a command prompt on the HTPC, type in ipconfig /all, your internal for the HTPC will be the number to the right of IPv4 Address. Do a screen capture and show me what you got.
it is here:
http://i.imgur.com/rljhWIf.jpg

cwinfield

Post by cwinfield » Fri Jan 23, 2015 1:17 am

under the destination you need to give your computer (internal) IP address with the TV tuner that MMC is installed on. As far as the port reservation for Skype you could delete or change the port.

ekw

Post by ekw » Fri Jan 23, 2015 1:18 am

cwinfield wrote:That's strange that it doesn't match the settings your seeing. Normally you have to name the application, give it the destination IP, then the internal and external ports. None of which I'm seeing on your screen capture. You can't update the firmware for the router because it does it by itself, call Verizon or get your own router that is more user friendly. It should tell you your IP on the PC in MMC advanced network tab.
fwiw, my firmware version is 4.0.16.1.56.0.10.14.4

ekw

Post by ekw » Fri Jan 23, 2015 1:23 am

cwinfield wrote:under the destination you need to give your computer (internal) IP address with the TV tuner that MMC is installed on. As far as the port reservation for Skype you could delete or change the port.
:?
it specifically says : destination ports.
the IP address is a separate box.
that's what makes it so confusing - all the instruction screenshots show 2 port boxes.
my page has 3 - "source port", "destination port" & "forward to port"

also, I have to do it as a custom, as there is nothing for Ceton, My Media Center, or Companion on the application list.

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Fri Jan 23, 2015 1:24 am

Crash2009 wrote:Correct you are. whatismyip only shows you the external ip address. For the internal, open up a command prompt on the HTPC, type in ipconfig /all, your internal for the HTPC will be the number to the right of IPv4 Address. Do a screen capture and show me what you got.
Don't be shy about disclosing the internal IP. It's the external you don't want to advertise.

cwinfield

Post by cwinfield » Fri Jan 23, 2015 1:25 am

Create a Custom Port Forwarding Rule
1. Connect your computer directly to the Router with an Ethernet cable.
2. Type the LAN IP address into the web browser’s address bar and press Enter on the
keyboard. The default LAN IP address is 192.168.1.1, the default username is “admin,”
and the default password is “Password1.”
3. Click Firewall Settings at the top of the screen.
4. Click Yes in the warning screen.
5. Select Port Forwarding in the next screen from the menu to the left.
6. In the first drop-down list under “Create new port forwarding rule,” select either a
specific device by its Host name and current LAN IP address, or select Specify IP.
7. In the second drop-down list, select Custom Ports. Two more drop-down lists will
appear.
MI424WR Rev A, C, and D
Page 3 of 3
8. In the third drop-down list, select the protocol you want to use. Options include TCP,
UDP, or Both.
9. In the fourth drop-down list, enter the port numbers. To enter more than one port
number, separate the numbers with a comma (example: 80,433,8443). To enter a range of
ports, type the first port number, followed by a dash, and then the last port number
(example: 80-90, 100-205)
10. Click Apply to save the new rule. If you run out of room in the fourth drop-down list for
port numbers repeat steps 6-10.
11. The new rule should now appear in the applied rules section of the Port Forwarding
screen, with “active” displayed in the Status column. If “inactive” is displayed, click
Resolve Now to refresh the screen. If the rule remains inactive, contact Verizon for
support.

ekw

Post by ekw » Fri Jan 23, 2015 1:33 am

interesting - this page http://forums.verizon.com/t5/FiOS-Inter ... d-p/476141
says
Re: MI424WR Port Forwarding Issue
‎09-05-2012 06:50 PM

You cant define the source port with that router, it always has to be set to any.
Crash - sorry, I am sort of ignorant on network stuff (can you tell? :lol: )
I figured one of them was supposed to be a secret.

cwinfield - those instructions don't indicate what to do with my "5th" & "6th" drop down lists (desitnation ports & forward to ports)
does that imply they should be left at "any" and "same as incoming port" respectively?
thos instructions do not seem to match up w/ my screenshot, do they?

cwinfield

Post by cwinfield » Fri Jan 23, 2015 1:40 am

ekw wrote: does that imply they should be left at "any" and "same as incoming port" respectively?
Yes

That does appear to be what your set to but you said there was a conflict with Skype. when you apply does it say that the forward rule is active?

ekw

Post by ekw » Fri Jan 23, 2015 1:44 am

hmmmmm
this is interesting: http://www.dbstalk.com/topic/206117-act ... me-access/

it says (in part):
HERE'S THE TRICK with this Actiontec router:

You must leave the Source Ports dropdown set to "Any" and ONLY change the Destination Ports dropdown to "Specify". This is where you enter the TCP of 8082 & 8083 or whatever ports your GenieGO says under the system info.
of course, that contradicts what cwinfield just said (I think).
the biggest PITA w/ this is that I have no way to test it w/o leaving the house & getting on another network.

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Fri Jan 23, 2015 1:45 am

Here is another idea. Turn on Remote Administration, then PM CW or I with the external IP, Username, and Password. I won't have time until Saturday or Sunday.

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Fri Jan 23, 2015 1:48 am

ekw wrote:the biggest PITA w/ this is that I have no way to test it w/o leaving the house & getting on another network.
Not true. Just turn off wifi on your phone then connect with 4G.

ekw

Post by ekw » Fri Jan 23, 2015 1:48 am

cwinfield wrote:
ekw wrote: does that imply they should be left at "any" and "same as incoming port" respectively?
Yes

That does appear to be what your set to but you said there was a conflict with Skype. when you apply does it say that the forward rule is active?
if I put 5832 in for source & leave destination & forward to at the "any" and "same as" I get 15 different conflicts! :shock:
most of them "Teredo", some Skype, & one is the rule I saved that "works" (according to Ceton)

ekw

Post by ekw » Fri Jan 23, 2015 1:50 am

Crash2009 wrote:
ekw wrote:the biggest PITA w/ this is that I have no way to test it w/o leaving the house & getting on another network.
Not true. Just turn off wifi on your phone then connect with 4G.
my tablet is wifi only, because comically, I am one of the 6 people in North America w/o a cell phone.