Cablecard Firmware Upgrade Stalled

Ask fellow members about Ceton's infiniTV tuners here.
Forum rules
Ceton no longer participate in this forum. Official support may still be handled via the Ceton Ticket system.
rcb2014

HTPC Specs: Show details

Cablecard Firmware Upgrade Stalled

Post by rcb2014 » Fri Jan 16, 2015 8:05 pm

I'm having a problem similar to an older thread I found, but I need input on my cable company's response.

I have a message appearing whenever I attempt to tune to a channel (Window Media PC with InfiniTV 4 installed):

Cablecard Firmware Upgrade
TuneFreq: xxxxxx kHz
LockStatus: OK
NVM GroupID: 0x00

The message includes an OK button. Whether I click the button or not, the message is refreshed periodically with a different frequency displayed. It cycles through the numbers and then starts over.

I tried all the typical troubleshooting--remove and re-insert cablecard, completely detach tuning adapter and later reconnect, reboot pc, but always with the same results.

I contacted TWC and the service tech told me this was a known issue with the InfiniTV--not just with TWC but with other providers also--and that I needed to get in touch with their support, which I've done. I did questions the tech about the fact that the message was pointing to the service provider, not the tuner card, but he pointed his finger at Ceton again.

While I'm waiting, though, I want to see if anyone lately has had this experience and how you resolved it. I'm waiting to hear back from Ceton, but I'd like to fix it this before tonight's tv shows if I can.

Is this just a case of passing blame, or is there something I can do to resolve the issue. I do know there is a later version of the firmware I can apply, but when I try to do that (by going to the System page on the InfiniTV diagnostic website tool, scrolling to bottom, selecting the firmware update file and then clicking Update), the message "Update already running" message (or something to that effect) is displays and nothing more happens.

Any suggestions? Should I just wait to hear from Ceton, or do I need to contact TWC again?

d00zah

Post by d00zah » Fri Jan 16, 2015 8:57 pm

Previous Beta addressed this. Unsure whether it was ever released...

http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/vie ... =68&t=8008

Beta firmware candidate for InfiniTV available - 14.10.3.163

We've got a new beta firmware candidate for InfiniTV tuners. This firmware has the following changes:
-Workaround for issue in NDS CableCARDs
-Resolves an issue where CableCARD firmware updates may not succeed
-General stability improvements.

d00zah

Post by d00zah » Fri Jan 16, 2015 9:07 pm

However, if you have a SA/Cisco CableCard & are updating to V1.5.3 F/W, you will likely be interested in the latest PRE-Beta release.

http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/vie ... =68&t=8352

Best bet (save yourself grief) is to leave it alone, unless the CC F/W succeeds, until the aforementioned F/W is at least a Beta release.

rcb2014

Post by rcb2014 » Fri Jan 16, 2015 9:33 pm

Thank you for pointing to those threads, d00zah. I had already taken a look at them, but this time I read from start to finish. Unless I'm missing something, I didn't see a solution to my most immediate problem, that being that whenever I try to apply an update to a different firmware, I get the message that the update is already running. I've cleaned out all my temp files to no avail.

The only bit I ran across was some brief mention that the .img file needed to reside in the root c:\ceton folder. I haven't tried that. My update files are on a separate drive. It's always been that way for me with no problems in the past, so I'm not sure why that should make a difference. I guess I'll try it while I'm waiting to hear from Ceton.

One thing that impressed me after reading so many of these threads is how much more complex this implementation of the Ceton hardware/software appears to have become. I've had my Ceton tuner since the initial release and it's usually been smooth sailing for me. This problem I've encountered is totally new to me and appears to be more complicated than past ones. Maybe that's just my frame of mind right now.

d00zah

Post by d00zah » Fri Jan 16, 2015 10:11 pm

Sorry, I saw the part about the CC F/.W update failing, but missed the second part. I've never encountered that one.
File location has never posed an issue for me.

A few suggestions:

- clear browser cache
- try a different browser
- try the Ceton Diagnostic Tool > Update tab & see if an update is available there. May need to check 'include beta updates'.

JohnW248

Post by JohnW248 » Sat Jan 17, 2015 1:10 am

Your best solution is to get another cableCARD from TWC and hope that it has the new FW on it along with it being staged. Replace the cableCARD and call in to pair the new card to your tuner. There seems to be an issue between Cisco and Ceton on FW updates and if you're getting the latest from TWC which is OS Ver: PKEY2.0.1_F.p.0801 Build Time: Mar 31 2014, 15:12:04 it likely won't work unless you have the last beta build installed. Try getting the beta from your Diagnostic tool by clicking on upgrade and make sure the beta box is checked. You might still have to get another cableCARD because my luck is that if it doesn't work it's burned and won't work. Alternatively Tivos and SD devices do upgrade the cards so if you have one of those you can pull the card and pair it with your Ceton and then get a replacement for the other device.

It shouldn't take too long to pair the card unless you happen to live in Ohio and get one of the slow links for the CA stream authorization which for some reason can take a long time in that area.

rcb2014

Post by rcb2014 » Sat Jan 17, 2015 1:54 am

Thank you both, dOOzah and John,

For whatever it's worth to anyone else who has this issue, here's how I resolved the problem:
(1) remove the cablecard from the InfiniTV;
(2) completely uninstall the Ceton software;
(3) apply the latest beta firmware update (which worked this time without the card present);
(4) reinsert the card;
(5) reinstall the Ceton software/drivers (at this point I was no longer getting the message about the cablecard being updated);
6) check to make sure that my card was still paired, which it was;
(6) call TWC and have them send another hit since I wasn't receiving the EMMs.

With all that done, I was now getting a Viewing Conflict error message, so I
(7) cleared my tuner configuration,
(8) rediscovered the tuners, and
(9) used the Setup TV Signal wizard to re-establish connections.

The end result is that everything in now working with the latest beta firmware applied.

It's a good thing I enjoy the tech side of things. This process is not for the average user, the faint at heart, or anyone without patience. I will also give credit to TWC cablecard support guy for being friendly and helpful with step 6 and recommending steps 7-9.

d00zah

Post by d00zah » Sat Jan 17, 2015 6:58 pm

rcb2014, glad you got things resolved. Upon reflection (& a lot of re-reading), I suspect the following:

- CC F.W update keeps failing/retrying.
- Tuner will not allow internal F/W update while CC F/W update in progress.

If that's the case, disconnecting the coax ought to have been sufficient to allow completion of the tuner F/W update. This seems like a rare corner case you aren't likely to encounter again.

gpatlanta

Post by gpatlanta » Wed Jan 21, 2015 3:35 am

I'm having the exact same issue right now. I have been trying to resolve it for days. I got a new cc from TWC, but the new one is older than my first one. Same thing, it has been up and running well for years. I will try to upgrade to the newest beta firmware and follow the steps above if that doesn't work. Glad this was posted. I have a ticket out to ceton, but first response was to rediscover which of course I had already tried.
Greg

cKuR6

Post by cKuR6 » Thu Jan 22, 2015 7:05 pm

This happened to me on 1/9. I did not find thread, nor any FW updates for the tuner. TWC CC support in Buffalo didn't act like this was a known issue at all. I was told the CC was dead and needed replaced. New CC installed and paired, corrected the problem. If it happens again, i'll try these steps. Thanks for sharing.

Ladislaus

Post by Ladislaus » Mon Jan 26, 2015 7:17 pm

I encountered the same issue (i.e., cablecard firmware upgrade stalled) last Thursday (2015-Jan-22).

Optimum (Cablevision) is my service provider. My Windows Media Center HTPC (Win 8.1) uses an external InfiniTV 4 USB device.

I returned my old ("stuck") cablecard and obtained a new one from my local Optimum Store.

Here's how I resolved the problem (after reading through various comments on this website) using the new cablecard:
(1) powered on the HTPC & external InfiniTV 4 USB device *without* the cablecard inserted
(2) exited Windows Media Center (WMC) while it was still scanning for tuners; I have WMC set to launch on boot
(3) downloaded the latest beta firmware (15.1.13.152) for the InfiniTV 4 USB device onto the HTPC; see http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/vie ... =68&t=8352
(4) applied firmware (from step #3 above) via the InfiniTV 4 USB device's local web page (http://192.168.x.x); there's a manual firmware upload form near the bottom of the local web page
(5) after the firmware upgrade succeeded, powered off HTPC & external InfiniTV 4 USB device
(6) reinserted the cablecard card
(7) powered on the HTPC & external InfiniTV 4 USB device
(8) once WMC detected the new cablecard, called Optimum to activate the cablecard using my InfiniTV 4 USB's Host ID

Done. It's been working fine since.

Hope this is helpful to someone.

erkotz

Post by erkotz » Thu Jan 29, 2015 11:00 pm

If you are running into this, please make sure that you are running either the latest Stable or Beta firmware for your InfiniTV.
Quality Assurance Manager, Ceton Corporation