Windows 8.1/10 adding Native MKV/FLAC Support

dbailey75

HTPC Specs: Show details

Windows 8.1/10 adding Native MKV/FLAC Support

Post by dbailey75 » Fri Jan 09, 2015 3:02 pm

Hello, all, I was just catching up on the details of windows 10, and came across an article saying that MS is adding native MKV and Flac support to both Windows 10 and Windows 8.1. Question, does the MKV and Flac support apply to Media center or is it a separate player? I'm not yet running windows 8.1 Media Center, or I'd test this my self.

While this is not ground breaking, it does make some things easier as I'm not one to mess around with codecs.

mark1234

Post by mark1234 » Fri Jan 09, 2015 3:43 pm

I don't run 8MC, but I think it's just the Metro Music & Video apps that have been updated. I can confirm that mkv does work in W8's Video app.
Windows Media Centre - Abandoned by Microsoft

3rob3

Post by 3rob3 » Fri Jan 09, 2015 4:12 pm

From what I have read, in Win 8.1 it is only in the native Metro app. In Win 10 it will be system wide support.

Ed 

Post by Ed  » Fri Jan 09, 2015 6:09 pm

My WMC HTPC runs 8.1. The above posters are correct, the .mkv update only applies to the Microsoft Metro apps, nothing to do with WMP or WMC in 'regular' Windows. In Windows 10 maybe .mkv support will come to 'regular' Windows; but it also probably won't have WMC.

dbailey75

Post by dbailey75 » Tue Jan 20, 2015 1:37 am

Ed  wrote:My WMC HTPC runs 8.1. The above posters are correct, the .mkv update only applies to the Microsoft Metro apps, nothing to do with WMP or WMC in 'regular' Windows. In Windows 10 maybe .mkv support will come to 'regular' Windows; but it also probably won't have WMC.
thanks for the replies. and your right the future of WMC is a little uncertain. From what I've read though, the win 8 version of WMC and key will install on the current release of Windows 10 preview. I'm really hoping that the release of cable card tuners in 2010ish has had an impact on WMC utilization. I'm hoping to hear some positive news on Wed from Redmond.

DavidinCT

Post by DavidinCT » Tue Feb 17, 2015 6:36 pm

dbailey75 wrote:Hello, all, I was just catching up on the details of windows 10, and came across an article saying that MS is adding native MKV and Flac support to both Windows 10 and Windows 8.1. Question, does the MKV and Flac support apply to Media center or is it a separate player? I'm not yet running windows 8.1 Media Center, or I'd test this my self.

While this is not ground breaking, it does make some things easier as I'm not one to mess around with codecs.
WIndows Media Center DEPENDS on Windows Media Player. Off the top of my head, I am not sure if WMP comes with Windows 10.

On a general statement, If you can open a video or audio fine in WMP, it will play in WMC...
-Dave
Twitter @TheCoolDave

Windows Media Center certified and WMC MVP 2010 - 2012

Shark007

Post by Shark007 » Tue Feb 17, 2015 9:55 pm

DavidinCT wrote:WIndows Media Center DEPENDS on Windows Media Player.
No it doesn't. They share the Windows Library but it is not dependant on WMP for playback.
DavidinCT wrote:Off the top of my head, I am not sure if WMP comes with Windows 10.
WMP has been included in every iteration of Windows 10 so far.
DavidinCT wrote:On a general statement, If you can open a video or audio fine in WMP, it will play in WMC..
this is a false 'general statement'.
Retain your sanity, use Shark007 Codecs

crawfish

Post by crawfish » Tue Feb 17, 2015 10:19 pm

Shark007 wrote:
No it doesn't. They share the Windows Library but it is not dependant on WMP for playback.
This is a Ctrl+C of the dialog box that appears when I uncheck WMP in "Turn Windows features on and off" in Windows 8.1.

[Window Title]
Windows Features

[Main Instruction]
The following Windows features will also be turned off because they are dependent on Windows Media Player. Do you want to continue?

[Content]
Windows Media Center
Other Windows features and programs installed on your computer might also be affected, including default settings.
Go online to learn more

[Yes] [No]

Shark007

Post by Shark007 » Tue Feb 17, 2015 10:28 pm

That's because disabling WMP will remove the Windows Library and there is (currently) no interface to control that separately.
my statement concerns the fact that wmplayer.exe does not need to load for Media Center to playback content.

holidayboy

Post by holidayboy » Wed Feb 18, 2015 3:09 pm

Does WMC depend on WMP for music playback? I know that if you start music playing in WMC and then launch WMP, you can see and interact with the track currently playing in WMC.
Rob.

TGB.tv - the one stop shop for the more discerning Media Center user.

Shark007

Post by Shark007 » Wed Feb 18, 2015 4:22 pm

holidayboy wrote:Does WMC depend on WMP for music playback? I know that if you start music playing in WMC and then launch WMP, you can see and interact with the track currently playing in WMC.
I had forgotten about audio only playback and yes, Media Center does use WMP for audio only playback.
In fact, the 64bit Media Center will use the 32bit WMP for audio only playback.
So... on this point, I stand corrected, or at least, you jogged my memory. Thanks for the wakeup!

DavidinCT

Post by DavidinCT » Wed Feb 18, 2015 5:16 pm

Shark007 wrote:
DavidinCT wrote:Off the top of my head, I am not sure if WMP comes with Windows 10.
WMP has been included in every iteration of Windows 10 so far.
DavidinCT wrote:On a general statement, If you can open a video or audio fine in WMP, it will play in WMC..
this is a false 'general statement'.
Yes, you corrected yourself parts of WMC do depend on WMP, as I said but, with video files for years. If I tried to play a video file in WMC, it would fail (for example), It would also fail in WMP, I install a codec, open it in WMP, it plays and WMC plays it fine.

SO, on a general statement, if you can play it in WMP, you have the correct codec installed and will be able to play it in WMC.

Not sure what is so "FALSE" about this.
-Dave
Twitter @TheCoolDave

Shark007

Post by Shark007 » Wed Feb 18, 2015 7:14 pm

I realize that when you made that statement, you were speaking from your own experience, but that is not everyone's experience. I responded from my experience which comes from over 10yrs of helping people with playback in the Windows players. At least monthly, there is someone on my forum that is able to play a file properly in WMP but not in Media Center.

DavidinCT

Post by DavidinCT » Wed Feb 18, 2015 8:14 pm

Shark007 wrote:I realize that when you made that statement, you were speaking from your own experience, but that is not everyone's experience. I responded from my experience which comes from over 10yrs of helping people with playback in the Windows players. At least monthly, there is someone on my forum that is able to play a file properly in WMP but not in Media Center.
No, not just my own, I owned a business for about 5 years building, installing and maintaining custom Windows Media Center systems, I sold somewhere around 150-200, not very big but, it was a full time job for about 2-3 years. I used this to trouble shoot systems.

Not always would work but, 95% of the time, that is why I said by a general statement...

And I was a MVP for WMC for 2010 and 2011....
-Dave
Twitter @TheCoolDave

curtis

Post by curtis » Sun Mar 01, 2015 8:05 am

As others mentioned, Cool but.. Media Center ends with 8.1 and you can play FLAC fine on it now with an add-in. FLAC support isn't an issue directly, the only core issue is that if you use HDMI to a receiver you can't output 5.1 FLAC if you watch TV as you have to set windows audio to 2 channel or tv playback fails.