Tuning Adapter Not Recognized

Nateman06

HTPC Specs: Show details

Tuning Adapter Not Recognized

Post by Nateman06 » Thu Jan 01, 2015 6:20 am

First, I am running an Intel NUC dual booting Windows 7 Home Premium 64Bit and Windows 8.1 Pro with Media Center. My NUC has 4 USB 3.0 ports. In Windows 7, my STA 1520 is recognized and fully functional. All SDV Channels work properly and the Tuning Resolver shows up on my DCR-2650 Page. However, my Windows 8 installation won't allow my TA to communicate with my DCR-2650. It shows up as functioning properly in device manager and devices and printers but will not work with my DCR-2650 at all. I tried running troubleshooter within Devices and Printers and it states that I need to move it to a USB 2.0 port (I have none except an internal header that is not accessible for this purpose). Again, it functions perfectly in Windows 7 on the same hardware but not in Windows 8. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

teamfox201

Post by teamfox201 » Fri Jan 02, 2015 3:14 am

Shot in the dark but it may have to do with Windows 8 only allowing Xbox consoles to act as the media player.

mdavej

Post by mdavej » Fri Jan 02, 2015 3:37 am

I had a similar issue with another older USB device in Win 8 and fixed it like this:

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/usbcoreblog/arc ... ently.aspx

Nateman06

Post by Nateman06 » Sat Jan 03, 2015 5:36 am

Thanks for the feedback guys. Can't get it to work at all. I am just going to try to hook into the internal USB 2.0 header and rig something up to see if it will work. The main reason I wanted to get this working was because Windows 8.1 allowed my XBOX 360 as an extender but Windows 7 will not. I will just stick with what works. Funny that USB 3.0 ports allow the device to work in Windows 7 but not 8.1. Hmmmm????

Nateman06

Post by Nateman06 » Wed Jan 14, 2015 4:07 am

Well after rigging up my own adapter for the internal USB 2.0 header, I was able to connect my tuning adapter. Again, it worked in Windows 7 but still no joy in Windows 8.1. TWC is telling me that the only adapter available for me in my market is the Cisco STA1520 and there are no other options. It appears to be an issue with Microsoft's drivers for Intel's USB 3.0 extensible system. Intel is passing the buck and saying this is a Microsoft issue. Intel provided the drivers for Windows 7 (hence the reason it work there) but they allowed Microsoft to create and handle the drivers for Windows 8.1 (hence the reason it's not working there). It's odd to me that the system recognizes the tuning adapter and even allows Hauppauge to install their driver for it but my dcr2650 can't see it. Banging my head here!!!!