New TV Tuner Setup with Media Center

anoble1

HTPC Specs: Show details

New TV Tuner Setup with Media Center

Post by anoble1 » Sun Dec 28, 2014 6:56 pm

Hi,
I am new to all this setting up and all. However, I acquired a regular PC with Media Center on it. No remote or anything, custom build. A few days ago I ordered an antenna to get some digital channels.
My question is.... What all do I need to make a tv tuner work in the PC where media center will show the programming guide? I wasn't sure on how the remote would work with the OS and stuff. Suggestions on what all I need to buy to make this current PC work? Suggestions on a cheap card or a good TV Tuner card?

choliscott

Post by choliscott » Mon Dec 29, 2014 3:08 am

Hello, first of all welcome to the board..

I have a few questions for you & we can go from there to make some recommendations

1) Since you ordered an antenna, I assume you only have "over the air" signal, or if you have cable, who is your provider?
2) What is the configuration of the computer (CPU, how much ram & video card, size of hard drive, Also does it have an SSD, if so, what is the size?)

Depending on the computer config & if you have cable or over the air will determine what will be recommended.

In order for the computer to work with a remote control, you will need a Windows media center remote, that has a Infrared USB remote dongle. Here is one that I ordered for the dongle: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... -_-Product

Windows media center will provide the channel guide data

anoble1

Post by anoble1 » Mon Dec 29, 2014 3:44 am

Thanks. I need all the help I can get.
1. It is "Over the Air"
2. 1.5ghz, 2GB Ram, 1-TB hdd non ssd, X800 video card
Will probably not be doing much recording. Older PC evidently.

Will that remote work with any TV tuner in changing the channels I guess?

choliscott

Post by choliscott » Mon Dec 29, 2014 5:27 am

OK, as far as a tuner is concerned, I would probably recommend (based on what I've read) a SiliconDust HD Homerun Dual. They also have the a Homerun Connect & Homerun Extend, but not sure what the overall satisfaction is on those. These devices have 2 tuners

Do you happen to know the make & model of the cpu? Based on I can find on the video card, it looks like it's an AGP (correct me if I'm wrong), so at a minimum that might need to be replaced with a newer video card. Are you wanting to connect the computer to a TV?

Also if the computer is strictly going to be used for Media Center only, the amount of ram of should be ok (I'll let others chime in).

The remote control will work with changing channels within Media Center

anoble1

Post by anoble1 » Mon Dec 29, 2014 5:36 am

Yes. AGP
Those tuners look like they are external. Not sure on the CPU. I'll have to take a look.
I guess I need a newer video card that has HDMI to go to the TV for video and sound?

LuckyDay

Post by LuckyDay » Mon Dec 29, 2014 7:27 pm

Depends on what inputs your TV has. If it has DVI, you can use that, and run the sound out separately.

If you do end up needing a new video card, you can easily grab one with HDMI for about 20-30 that will work fine with WMC (there is a user also selling a couple of cheap video cards that would work here on the boards in the For Sale section).

The RAM should work for simple usage and playing and recording one or two things at once. If you run into issues or want more RAM is very cheap also.

anoble1

Post by anoble1 » Mon Dec 29, 2014 8:00 pm

Cool. HDMI card may be what I get. Just purchased a HDHR4-2US. Said it works with media center.

Srcpt

Post by Srcpt » Mon Dec 29, 2014 8:26 pm

Does your computer already have onboard hdmi or dvi out? If you get a new video card, make sure your power supply can handle it.

anoble1

Post by anoble1 » Mon Dec 29, 2014 8:27 pm

Does not have one. Current video card has DVI out though.

LuckyDay

Post by LuckyDay » Mon Dec 29, 2014 8:45 pm

Just get a cheap video card and power supply won't be an issue. If you are actually tied to using the AGP slot, your options are unfortunately more limited on what you can buy that has an HDMI slot. You can try something like this:

http://www.amazon.com/HIS-Radeon-DL-DVI ... 873&sr=1-1

dmagerl

Post by dmagerl » Mon Dec 29, 2014 9:33 pm

You're going to have a hard time getting a new AGP video card. Even if you do, my guess is it wont support full GPU MPG2 video acceleration.

My gut feeling is your mobo is too old, too slow. You might be able to get it to work but the MCE experience will be much more pleasurable with some newer equipment.

Edit: ok, I see someone posted before me an AGP video card. My feeling is still the mobo isnt going to give a pleasurable experience.

LuckyDay

Post by LuckyDay » Mon Dec 29, 2014 9:40 pm

I don't see it being too much of a problem honestly. Changing channels may be slow. Overall system might be slightly sluggish, but if all he's doing is watching live TV through the tuner it will get by.

If he buys the card linked above he'll get similar GPU acceleration to current cards, it's only a few generations old. The CPU will be the limiting factor in the system (we still don't know the exact model there).

anoble1

Post by anoble1 » Mon Dec 29, 2014 10:59 pm

Thanks for all suggestions.... I do have another PC I use as my server that has some HDMI out puts and such. But it has Server 2008. To my knowledge Windows Media Center does not work for it?

LuckyDay

Post by LuckyDay » Mon Dec 29, 2014 11:02 pm

Nope, think the only way to put it on a Server 2008 machine is to create a virtual machine and install Win7 on that.

anoble1

Post by anoble1 » Mon Dec 29, 2014 11:03 pm

Hmm. I assume the VM will see the tuner and such. HDHR4-2US that one

LuckyDay

Post by LuckyDay » Mon Dec 29, 2014 11:22 pm

Yeah I think it should see a network tuner. I'm sure if you dig around here you can find an example of someone doing it that way.

mike_ekim

Post by mike_ekim » Tue Dec 30, 2014 7:01 pm

anoble1 wrote:Does not have one. Current video card has DVI out though.
Check to see if it is DVI-A (analog) or DVI-D (digital). If it is DVI-D, you can get a DVI to HDMI converter. I used to use one with my old computer. It will send video only to a HDMI TV.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Visual_Interface

DVI-D to HDMI converter for about $4

LuckyDay

Post by LuckyDay » Tue Dec 30, 2014 7:23 pm

But most TVs won't allow you to accept the HDMI video in and use another input source for the Audio. You would have to use external speakers (if you had a sound bar this would work though).

anoble1

Post by anoble1 » Tue Dec 30, 2014 7:24 pm

Tuner comes in today. I'll see what I can come up with. May try the Virtual PC through my Sever 2008 first....