Extender Playback problem

cooty

HTPC Specs: Show details

Extender Playback problem

Post by cooty » Sat Dec 27, 2014 6:27 pm

Hi Guys,
Windows 7 WMC and extender playback problem.

I have 2 x Xbox360s with a large amount of recorded TV - SD & HDTV. Just recently neither Xbox360 can stream any recorded or live TV, a network error is displayed in the top of the screen. The network "diagnostic" works fine and WMC works fine on the Windows 7 host (better than HDTV speed). The Xbox360's try to stream SDTV but either display a black screen or heavily pixelated screen - audio seems better.

I don't have KB3004394 installed either. 19th November 2014 were the last updates I installed but this seems to have happened within the last 2 weeks. Network isolation tests on the host and the rest of the network seem to suggest the network is OK and this is a WMC host problem but network throughput is good.

Have tried to reset WMC on the host by blanking the ehome directory in \program data\Microsoft\
uninstalled Windows Media Center feature and reinstalled - no luck.

Any assistance greatly appreciated, thanks.

chicagopaul

Post by chicagopaul » Tue Dec 30, 2014 2:46 am

I had extender problems similar to those you describe until I looked carefully at my router. There were settings that gave streaming media priority that I had not configured. When I did so, the black screen and pixilation went away. I think the router was limiting the bandwidth of the connections. I also had problems when I tried to run the extenders on wireless. Neighbors internet activity limited the bandwidth I could reliably count on. I solved this by making the connection wired.

cooty

Post by cooty » Tue Dec 30, 2014 6:59 pm

Thanks for your reply. I'm not trying to stream the files from the net, just play recorded TV on my internal network from the WMC host to the extenders (Xbox360's). That said I have 3 firewalls and routers here - its what I do for a living...
I've tried running the Xboxes logged into Xbox Live and not. One of them hadn't been updated and I had the problem with that one as well.
Everything here is hard wired using a gig switch, 2 actually and I've eliminated any problems there. The host has 2 network ports and I've tried them both. Xbox network diagnostics are pretty basic but they pass OK.
I can't work out what's going on, the host has been running WMC for about 5 years without any issues.
I guess I'll have to start rolling back Windows updates and hope Microsoft have screwed up again. its a long shot since I haven't installed any updates since mid November.

DrSmith

Post by DrSmith » Wed Dec 31, 2014 11:20 pm

Have you reconfigured your network connections recently? Changed physical ports or added routers between your XBox360s and the WMC? Or updated router firmware? I had a similar problem when I added a 2nd router between my XBox and WMC. Some (ancient) NetBEUI messages no longer got through. The net effect was my Xbox MCE menus and diagnostics worked fine, but streaming playback did not work at all.

cooty

Post by cooty » Wed Jan 07, 2015 5:49 pm

I've done none of these. It looks like a network issue but I'm sure the network is fine. Its like I've got the wrong codecs installed - my media skills are shite!

DrSmith

Post by DrSmith » Thu Jan 08, 2015 4:39 pm

You mentioned multiple routers. Have you tried an Xbox360 on the same physical switch as the WMC server?

cooty

Post by cooty » Thu Jan 08, 2015 5:42 pm

I have yes - they're on the same gig switch at the moment. Tried different ports, I've moved them to a different gig switch as well...

DrSmith

Post by DrSmith » Thu Jan 08, 2015 6:39 pm

Hmm, you have a strange one there. It does seem like your Xbox360 is having a codec problem since you have pretty much ruled out any sort of network issue. Have you tried deleting the extenders from WMC and reconnecting them?

cooty

Post by cooty » Sat Jan 10, 2015 11:01 am

I have 2 Xbox 360s (See original fault description) ! they both have the same problem whether or not I'm connected to Xbox Live. Yes I've disconnected and reconnected at least one of them. I have to conclude the fault is with the host...

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Mon Jan 12, 2015 4:11 am

If you think the problem is with the host... you could try uninstalling the extenders from within WMC, then re-install them.

Tasks/Extenders/RightClick/Uninstall
Attachments
UninstallExtender.JPG

cooty

Post by cooty » Fri Jan 16, 2015 9:53 am

I uninstalled the whole lot - I have 3 of them actually - made no difference.
However, seems I fixed it last night. It doesn't look like I can blame Microsoft for this coz I left all the Windows updates alone. I decided to uninstall all the apps that have been installed since beginning November including the programs that have had updates during this period. The problem is resolved. I don't know which app was responsible but I've reinstalled the major ones for now and its still working. I'll probably do a test after each install of an app from now on.
Thanks to everybody who tried to help.

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Fri Jan 16, 2015 12:41 pm

Apparently, it's pretty easy to "break" WMC. If you got it working now, make a System Image and a Manual Restore Point. It's a good habit to get into prior to installing any "experimental software".

DrSmith

Post by DrSmith » Fri Jan 16, 2015 2:07 pm

Others have said it on these forums, but it's worth repeating. Unless your WMC machine is an experiment just DON'T do it. If you are serious about HTPC you need to get WMC + add ons installed and running and LOCK it down. NO updates from Microsoft, no patches, no new apps, no email, no browsing. Just do TV + media. Everything else will hose you randomly, when you least expect it.

cooty

Post by cooty » Tue Jan 20, 2015 11:46 am

Point taken DrSmith! - I'm not really in a position to do that right now since the PC is also used for other purposes but I'll keep an eye on any new apps that get installed as a part of my work. I have been planning a motherboard upgrade, perhaps I'll keep this PC and reserve it as a WMC only.
What's the verdict on Windows 8 or 8.1 and WMC - are there any benefits to be had? - I'm well aware that Microsoft have stopped developing WMC...

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:01 am

cooty wrote:Point taken DrSmith! - I'm not really in a position to do that right now since the PC is also used for other purposes but I'll keep an eye on any new apps that get installed as a part of my work. I have been planning a motherboard upgrade, perhaps I'll keep this PC and reserve it as a WMC only.
What's the verdict on Windows 8 or 8.1 and WMC - are there any benefits to be had? - I'm well aware that Microsoft have stopped developing WMC...
There are a lot of guys working on the win8 thing. To me, it looks like it's not worth the hassle just yet. I skipped Vista and ran XP until 2012. I think I could have jumped on 7, a couple years sooner.

Here is whats going on with 8 http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/viewforum.php?f=49Understandably it's a struggle. I might just skip it and go to win10.

poit57

Post by poit57 » Thu Mar 05, 2015 6:16 am

I'm having a similar issue, though the effects don't seem as bad as the original poster's description.

I set my brother up with an HDHomeRun Prime with CableCard and an Xbox 360 Extender last year, connected to a computer running Windows 8.1. He only had a 100 Mb router, but the network tuning always showed that the speeds were as high as they needed to be for full HD television. The only issue we ever experienced was this Network Error message in the upper right-hand corner of the screen. It seemed to be random, but as far as I remember, this has only ever happened while watching live TV. Live TV will continue playing, but the picture will become pixilated for a few seconds and the channel cannot be changed while the error message is on screen.

I just built my brother a new computer this week and today replaced his 100Mb router with gigabit. He was watching TV this evening, and when he changed the channel, the network error popped up again and the picture started to become pixilated. I'm pretty sure this is not a hardware issue with a new router and computer, unless there is an issue with the Xbox hardware itself. I was hoping someone here might help us with this annoying issue.

adam1991

Post by adam1991 » Thu Mar 05, 2015 11:13 am

DrSmith wrote:Others have said it on these forums, but it's worth repeating. Unless your WMC machine is an experiment just DON'T do it. If you are serious about HTPC you need to get WMC + add ons installed and running and LOCK it down. NO updates from Microsoft, no patches, no new apps, no email, no browsing. Just do TV + media. Everything else will hose you randomly, when you least expect it.
Can we sticky this? Maybe make it a splash screen for someone coming here or signing up for the first time?

Require an "I understand" confirmation before letting said new person go anywhere on the site.

joecrow

Post by joecrow » Thu Mar 05, 2015 1:54 pm

adam1991 wrote:
DrSmith wrote:Others have said it on these forums, but it's worth repeating. Unless your WMC machine is an experiment just DON'T do it. If you are serious about HTPC you need to get WMC + add ons installed and running and LOCK it down. NO updates from Microsoft, no patches, no new apps, no email, no browsing. Just do TV + media. Everything else will hose you randomly, when you least expect it.
Can we sticky this? Maybe make it a splash screen for someone coming here or signing up for the first time?

Require an "I understand" confirmation before letting said new person go anywhere on the site.
That is an interesting idea! Then as soon as some external change triggers a problem (Check out how many posts are broadcaster, cable company, guide etc. related) we can advise them to update their drivers/app./windows (choose whichever is appropriate) :crazy:
Come on, it is neither pratical no appropriate to attempt to impose such views.

DavidinCT

Post by DavidinCT » Thu Mar 05, 2015 2:28 pm

As I agree to keep it stable on Microsoft updates but, security wise, not a good idea... Not sure about it being a Sticky, because your welcoming people to be un-secure on their PCs.

I've been letting critical updates install due to possible security problems but, besides one update (that everyone knows about), that I blocked before it came down, I have never had an issue due to a update on my HTPC. Now the optional updates, that is something I would review before installing. As a lot of these can be driver updates and if your working fine, I would not touch them (just select to Hide them). If it Aint broken, don't fix it....

I also have acronis installed and normally take a backup once a week or so, worse case, I can roll back if needed.

I do agree, a dedicated machine needs to be JUST that, a Media Playing system, that is it. If your browsing the web on it and playing games off it, you could have issues.
-Dave
Twitter @TheCoolDave

Windows Media Center certified and WMC MVP 2010 - 2012

Scallica

Post by Scallica » Thu Mar 05, 2015 3:34 pm

DavidinCT wrote: As I agree to keep it stable on Microsoft updates but, security wise, not a good idea... Not sure about it being a Sticky, because your welcoming people to be un-secure on their PCs.
I agree. I prefer to install updates. If you take weekly snapshots, and don't install new updates immediately, you can avoid trouble. You can easily schedule an automatic weekly snapshot using Task Scheduler. You can also check a few websites to see if any of the recent Windows updates have been causing trouble.
HTPC Enthusiast / Forum Moderator - TGB.tv Code of Conduct