App does not work remotely

Discuss My Media Center for Windows 8, Windows RT, iOS, Android, and WP, and ask Ceton for support.
Forum rules
Ceton no longer participate in this forum. There is no official support mechanism for My Media Center.
ebtechie234

HTPC Specs: Show details

App does not work remotely

Post by ebtechie234 » Wed Dec 24, 2014 9:12 pm

Hi,
So before I moved and got a new router and new cell phone my remote access compatibility with the my media center app worked perfectly. Now My router is a Linksys WRTAC1900, and I got the cool LG G3 cellphone. I have set up port forwarding on the router, so when I go to the external IP address with the with the port in a web browser on my phone I get the xml message stating move along, however when I use the app, on my G3 using only the 3G/4G modem it looks like it doesn't even try and connect. I am able to connect via wifi, turn off wifi then use the modem and it works. which is strange. Any Ideas?
My PC is windows 8.1, I have a firewall exception , using bitdefender anti-virus, and since I can use chrome on my cell phone to access the diagnostic webpage port forwarding should be working.

UCBearcat

Post by UCBearcat » Thu Dec 25, 2014 3:30 pm

While this reply won't be entirely helpful, I can say that we had this same issue w/ my wife's phone. It would show the "move along" XML page in a browser, but it wouldn't connect to the app. This only happened when using the 4G/3G antenna. It could connect via wifi just fine, either here at home or out and about at a public hotspot.

She had a Nexus 4, and everything worked well at the start. Then after a few months she noticed it wouldn't connect over 3G/4G. We tried removing and re-installing the app - no joy. We gave up and just figured it was the phone. Fast forward a few months and she upgraded to a Nexus 5. Same problem persisted. No connection over 3G/4G within the app, but wifi worked just fine.

Fast forward to a few months ago - she switched carriers. Now that she is on T-Mobile, remote connections over 3G/4G are working again. Keep in mind - she is using the exact same Nexus 5 phone. She just swapped SIM cards for the new provider.
We still have the same ISP at home, the same Linksys router, the same Media server, the same port connections number, etc. etc. etc. The only real change to note is that she changed mobile carriers.

For reference, I have a different wireless carrier since my company pays for my phone. I've had Verizon and T-Mobile - both work fine. Prior to her move to T-Mobile, she was using Cincinnati Bell - which is a small regional carrier. I really don't understand how a particular carrier could cause an issue, especially since the connection was being made via web browser just fine.

Sorry I can't be of more help - other than to say that we had the same problem and only fixed it by switching wireless carriers.

Edit: I had a thread going on here when we had this problem. Motz and Erkotz tried to help at the time, but I just gave up (assuming that it was just the wireless carrier). http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/vie ... =63&t=6463

haleedog

Post by haleedog » Tue Dec 30, 2014 4:30 pm

Also having the same problem, can not connect remotely over my wireless network. I have an LG G3 with Sprint, and I think it stopped working after an upgrade. Works fine over Wifi.

ctbcubed

Post by ctbcubed » Thu Jan 08, 2015 5:05 pm

Same problem here. LG G3 on Sprint works perfectly on WIFI but no connection on cellular network. All port forwarding tests and network diagnostics at PC end look good. I've poured through the phone menus looking for anything that might prohibit the connection from being completed, but no luck so far. I sent an email to Ceton today in hopes of getting some help.

haleedog

Post by haleedog » Wed Feb 04, 2015 3:29 am

ctbcubed wrote:Same problem here. LG G3 on Sprint works perfectly on WIFI but no connection on cellular network. All port forwarding tests and network diagnostics at PC end look good. I've poured through the phone menus looking for anything that might prohibit the connection from being completed, but no luck so far. I sent an email to Ceton today in hopes of getting some help.

Did you ever get a response from Ceton or solve your problem