Looses mouse and keyboard input, stops responding

EdTheC

HTPC Specs: Show details

Looses mouse and keyboard input, stops responding

Post by EdTheC » Thu Dec 18, 2014 3:58 pm

Hi all, I've been struggling with a very odd issue on WMC and Win 7 64. I have both a logitech wireless multimedia keyboard and a Lenovo USB media controllers attached to the USB of the computer. It seems that if neither device is used for some time, the WMC starts to completely ignore both of them. The odd thing is that Windows does not. For example, pressing CTRL-ALT-Del will bring up that screen, or ALT+Tab will task switch, etc. But WMC continues to ignore the devices.

The only out is to either reboot or to task kill WMC.

Things tried so far:
- remove any time out for USB idle (system setting). Don't think this is the issue because of the system able to respond to alt+tab, etc.
- A "real" keyboard" attached. No difference, it still gets ignored.

Anyone have any further ideas? Driving me and my family nuts!!!

TIA
Ed

mcewinter

Post by mcewinter » Thu Dec 18, 2014 4:02 pm

What functions are you using that don't work? If the transport controls don't work (stop, play ff, rew) then your probably having the same issue many experience with their remote.

Do you have iTunes and/or Chrome installed?

EdTheC

Post by EdTheC » Thu Dec 18, 2014 4:08 pm

Nothing on the keyboard works after a time period. No play controls, no backspace, no mouse, nothing. WMC ignores it all. Note that everything works perfectly for "awhile" (haven't determined a time yet), then stops. But Windows commands (things not digested by WMC) do work as I explained.

Yes, Chrome is installed, not itunes, how does that matter?

mcewinter

Post by mcewinter » Thu Dec 18, 2014 4:22 pm

Well your issue may or may not be because Chrome is running in the background; by default it is set to do so. Typically that's the issue when a remote loses transport control. It's worth a try though; go into Chrome's settings and ask it not to run in the background.

mcewinter

Post by mcewinter » Thu Dec 18, 2014 4:28 pm

Beyond that, I would trubleshoot your USB settings. Maybe something is set to sleep after x amount of time.

Rainey

Post by Rainey » Sat Dec 27, 2014 4:25 am

It could be a stuck key on one the the devices that is crashing the interface.
Try one keyboard at a time and see if it only happens with one of the keyboards.

signcarver

Post by signcarver » Fri Jan 02, 2015 8:18 am

I recently came across an issue where some program wanted to update itself (either an adobe program or hp print driver) and though I could not see the request, it stole all "keyboard" input (including remote and clicking on things like skip forward with the mouse)... last time it happened I restored the screen down and though I could still not see the message I notices a couple of icons in the notification area... cancelled them both and everything in WMC worked again.