Stuck in Nvidia driver heck, please help!

A place to talk about GPUs/Motherboards/CPUs/Cases/Remotes, etc.
xxfury2xx

HTPC Specs: Show details

Stuck in Nvidia driver heck, please help!

Post by xxfury2xx » Thu Dec 18, 2014 1:24 am

Hello,

I was hoping to get some help from this forum. I recently purchased an Nvidia GTX 750 Ti (EVGA SC) and installed it into my HTPC to do some Steam gaming and emulating. My problem is that HBO does not work. I get audio, but no video. I want to be able to keep the card because I got it for an awesome price on Black Friday, but I also want to be able to enjoy HBO. Could someone point me to a functioning driver?

I've tried all of these drivers so far, uninstalling them in safe mode and removing them completely before choosing the clean install option in the driver installer:

344.75 (completely crashes my system)
344.65 (HBO audio only, BBC America cuts out during commercials)
344.60 (same as above)
344.48 (same as above)
344.11 (same as above)
340.52 (same as above)
337.88 (same as above)

If someone could help me I would GREATLY appreciate it. Thank you.

newfiend

Post by newfiend » Thu Dec 18, 2014 1:57 am

Install the latest Driver 344.75 WHQL. During installation select Custom Install instead of recommended.
Tick the box for a clean installation and continue.
After installation reboot the PC.
After rebooting the PC Right Click the Desktop and Select NVIDIA Control Panel.
On the left Payne select Adjust Desktop Color settings.
Then in the right Payne set Content Type Reported to Display to Full Screen Videos.
Click Apply in the lower Right Corner.
Confirm the setting Changes when prompted.
Close NVIDIA Control Panel.
Open WMC and try HBO.
You should get audio and Video now.
I think what may be happening is you are experiencing issues with 29/59. (Where the content is constantly switching frame rate between 29/59. Channels that exhibit this issue frequently like HBO and HGTV will do this, and are a couple of the worst offenders for 29/59 content.) This content will wreck havoc with NVidia cards unless you set content type reported to display to full screen videos.
keep in mind that if you update drivers in the future that you will again have to reset that setting after the driver update.
I also have that same card and use it for Steam and WMC.
Hope that fixes your issue.

As an Aside.. Also make sure that the audio settings in Windows are set to 2.0 Stereo. You can then open WMC and go to Tasks/Settings > General > Windows Media Center Setup > Setup your Speakers and you can run through the settings and set those to 5.1 or 7.1 if you are using an AVR for multi-channel audio. (This is only needed if you are using Multi Channel Audio over HDMI to an AVR).
Setting both Windows audio (Control Panel > Sound > Configure Button) to 5.1 and also WMC Audio settings to 5.1 will cause problems as well. Make sure Windows is set to 2.0 stereo and WMC to 5.1 or 7.1 (If your equipment supports multi channel audio) for best results.

HTH,
newfiend~

xxfury2xx

Post by xxfury2xx » Fri Dec 19, 2014 1:00 am

Hello newfiend,

Thanks for replying.Unfortunately driver 344.75 still crashed my PC, even after applying your exact settings. Fortunately, 344.65 works like a charm and I am back to enjoying HBO. Weird how 344.75 works fine for you, but not for me. I've been out of the dedicated GPU game for over 10 years, so I forgot how finicky drivers and included software can be.

Thanks for the help!

adam1991

Post by adam1991 » Fri Dec 19, 2014 1:16 am

yet more evidence for "if it ain't broke, don't fix it".

newfiend

Post by newfiend » Fri Dec 19, 2014 2:04 am

adam1991 wrote:yet more evidence for "if it ain't broke, don't fix it".
But in this case it "was broke".. He added a GPU for Gaming on Steam.. I did the same. Nothing wrong with that or having a PC at the TV with multiple uses other than a DVR. NVidia Cards require a few tweaks in the control panel to fix 29/59.
It is strange that the latest driver build is giving him issues.. All I can tell him to check on that is to make sure his BIOS is up to date as the Instructions in the GPU Box stated (If I remember correctly) to make sure the Mainboard had the latest BIOS installed to take advantage of all the latest features the GPU can offer.
I would also make sure DirectX is patched to the latest version as well here : http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download ... aspx?id=35
Glad you were able to get it working on HBO etc.
newfiend~

webminster

Post by webminster » Tue Dec 30, 2014 1:42 am

Just curious, anyone tried the newest 347.09 drivers, especially to see if premium (DRM) content causes it to freeze like the 344.75 drivers did for some of us?
-Alan

Kamzu

Post by Kamzu » Tue Dec 30, 2014 7:22 pm

The new driver works fine with DRM.

Still has trouble with the 29/59 bug though.