Win 7 and Win 8 WMC differences

perryg114

HTPC Specs: Show details

Win 7 and Win 8 WMC differences

Post by perryg114 » Thu Dec 11, 2014 5:49 pm

Other than the $100 fee, is there any difference in Win 8 WMC compared to Win 7 WMC. Some of these compact PC's like the Lenovo Q190 come with 8.1 and you can't put 7 on it so that means buying WMC for Win 8.1. I will be using a USB stick tuner that works fine on Win 7 laptops.

Perry

choliscott

Post by choliscott » Thu Dec 11, 2014 7:51 pm

As far as appearance goes, it looks exactly the same. The only extenders that work with Win 8 is the Xbox 360 & Ceton Echo, but the echo requires the use of their phone app, as (to my understanding) the menu won't display on the TV.

Can I ask why you cannot install Win 7 on the computer you are referring to?

seajunk

Post by seajunk » Thu Dec 11, 2014 9:44 pm

The option to "Start Windows Media Center when Windows starts" was also removed.

perryg114

Post by perryg114 » Thu Dec 11, 2014 10:15 pm

What do you mean by extenders? As long as my tuner works, I don't care what extenders work. The computer I am referring to does not have the drivers for Win 7. I think the BIOS is different as well. I will probably end up putting together a compact PC of some sort that will run Win 7.

Perry
choliscott wrote:As far as appearance goes, it looks exactly the same. The only extenders that work with Win 8 is the Xbox 360 & Ceton Echo, but the echo requires the use of their phone app, as (to my understanding) the menu won't display on the TV.

Can I ask why you cannot install Win 7 on the computer you are referring to?

Scallica

Post by Scallica » Thu Dec 11, 2014 10:20 pm

perryg114 wrote:What do you mean by extenders?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Me ... r_Extender
HTPC Enthusiast / Forum Moderator - TGB.tv Code of Conduct

captain_video

Post by captain_video » Sat Dec 13, 2014 4:53 pm

seajunk wrote:The option to "Start Windows Media Center when Windows starts" was also removed.
Is there any way to have Media Center start up automatically after booting in Windows 8/8.1?

sbaeder

Post by sbaeder » Sat Dec 13, 2014 7:46 pm

yes - just set up a "task" that fires it off using the "task scheduler"...

bob_p

Post by bob_p » Sun Dec 14, 2014 12:50 pm

I use the "Classic Shell" which is a free download to add back a start menu - and run a one line .bat file in the "Startup" folder to startup WMC, with the following line:

start /max %windir%\ehome\ehshell.exe

After booting, the classic shell startups up and takes over the start menu - and after a few seconds, media center starts up.

Another benefit of using Classic Shell, in addition to bringing back the start menu, is that it adds back the ability to shut down or restart the media center remotely from a remote desktop window.

3rob3

Post by 3rob3 » Sun Dec 14, 2014 1:39 pm

Task scheduler or a start menu replacement isn't necessary to start WMC automatically at boot. The Startup folder is still there, just copy the WMC shortcut and paste it into the Startup folder:
C:\Users\YOUR USER NAME\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup

captain_video

Post by captain_video » Tue Dec 16, 2014 1:15 pm

Great. Thanks for the tips. LOL, I've had Windows 8 since the day it was released but hardly ever use it. I took one look at it after installing it and just said "WTF?" The only reason I'm using it now is because I just bought an ECS Liva small form factor PC that I'm using with WMC to replace an Intel NUC. It only draws 9.5 watts under full load. I leave all of my HTPCs (currently four and counting) on 24/7 so this little puppy was a dream come true. Works great for live TV using a HDHomeRun Prime and also streams 1080p Blu-Ray rips from my server with no hiccups or stuttering. Newegg has them on sale for only $110 with free shipping. I found a legit vendor (sidemicro.com) that sells Win 8.1 Pro licenses for only $85. A standalone HTPC with very little power use for less than $200 is a pretty sweet deal, IMHO.

The Liva only has 32GB of storage, but I was able to install Win 8.1 with WMC (actually, I installed Win 8 followed by a crapload of updates and then upgraded to 8.1 via the Microsoft Store for free), XBMC, Shark007 codecs, My Channel Logos, XBMC integration app (and probably a few others that escape me at the moment) and still have about 2.5GB of free space. Obviously this isn't going to be used as a DVR, but I could add an external drive for that purpose. I'm on FIOS so I'm able to map the RecordedTV folder on my main HTPC and share all of my recorded shows with the Liva.

mathelm

Post by mathelm » Sun Apr 12, 2015 4:33 am

You should do a search of reddit for s5ean and Windows 7 / 8/ 8.1. You can get a legit key for $20. Have used him several times myself...

Heckler

Post by Heckler » Mon Apr 13, 2015 5:04 pm

[quote="perryg114"]The computer I am referring to does not have the drivers for Win 7. I think the BIOS is different as well. I will probably end up putting together a compact PC of some sort that will run Win 7.

Perry

[quote="choliscott"]

The Lenovo Q190 does have downloadable drivers for Windows 7 (both 32 and 64 bit):

http://support.lenovo.com/us/en/product ... =Downloads

You have to click on the "Show All" tab at the bottom to see all the drivers (after you select either 32 or 64 bit Windows 7 from the Operating System drop-down) to see all the drivers.