HP 280N stutter video followed by not playing video at all

Troubleshoot and discuss the XBOX 360, XBOX One, Linksys, and other extenders.
JohnW248

HTPC Specs: Show details

HP 280N stutter video followed by not playing video at all

Post by JohnW248 » Tue Dec 02, 2014 7:19 pm

This morning I noticed that live tv on one 280N was stuttering and stopping and restarting resulted in just the spinning circle. Then I checked another extender that had been playing movies from servers and it wouldn't play either. The first unit was connected via component to an old set, the second by HDMI to a newer set.

I've had this happen before and never found the issue, replaced the extender and the replacement worked and after some time put the non-working extender back in service and it worked.

Today I swapped two rarely used and set-up 280n for the two that were malfunctioning and both the replacements worked when plugged in played on their new sets. I haven't checked the old units as yet. But looking at the network devices on another computer I had two generic icon (not extender icons) for Media Smart Connect with the IP address of the Dell 192.168.0.24 which was the host for the extenders. On the HP machine I told it to block streaming to those two MSC extenders. Once I did that I have a couple of generic media player icons that show an IPV6 address and just the normal number of Extender and Media Players for the other IP addresses. All extenders are wired have gateway and a DNS setting (getting back into set-up is a bit cumbersome and I don't remember how to get back into edit wired network settings).

Anyone run across this? Could the stop streaming to Dell host from the Media Smart Connect icons on the HP machine have been the problem?

JohnW248

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by JohnW248 » Sat Dec 06, 2014 2:31 pm

An Update:

I took one of the "troubled" extenders and in MC right clicked on it and did uninstall. Then I powered up that extender and went to setting and removed set-up data. After that I pressed the green button on the extender remote and got a new set-up key and put that into the original host. The extender was found and I was able to play protected live tv (which right now here in TWC LA land is EVERYTHING including broadcast channels--but working on trying to get that corrected.)

So it appears that the two extenders that were running had some file corruption that took them both out and after removing and re-installing they work again. (Still have to do the second unit).