Problems with Nvidia Drivers

A place to talk about GPUs/Motherboards/CPUs/Cases/Remotes, etc.
Crash2009

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by Crash2009 » Wed Dec 17, 2014 12:53 am

Are you running an additional monitor on the HTPC at the same time as the projector?

Kamzu

Post by Kamzu » Wed Dec 17, 2014 6:04 pm

No, the projector is the only display output.

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Sat Dec 20, 2014 7:42 am

Kamzu wrote:No, the projector is the only display output.
http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/vie ... 733#p83733

Funks

Post by Funks » Mon Dec 29, 2014 9:16 am

webminster wrote:Your issue sounds like a similar one of mine - HDMI switch will probably not help with this. You need to stabilize Windows detection of the EDID data. Probably your best bet is something like the Geffen HDMI Detective (isn't cheap, about $100, but consider it might pay back in grief savings).

Connect this between your PC and AVR. Plug in AC adapter and program per instructions. Make sure to leave the HDCP switch on always. After programming you can disconnect the AC adapter.

This will make sure the PC always sees consistent EDID data from your signal chain. My experience is sometimes the timing (or whatever) of EDID responses from the downstream equipment creates Windows hotplug events on the display, and the drivers interpret this as a display change - and reset the parameters to defaults.

I've had one of these in my signal chain for a few years, and no longer experience these reset issues.
Note, for anybody with a NVIDIA card, don't buy the GEFEN - you'll lose HDCP. Gefen blames it on NVIDIA's HDCP Handshake procedure (and was never fixed - even with the latest NVIDIA Drivers).

I took a restocking fee hit as I had to return an EVGA 750ti because Windows 8.1 and NVIDIA Control Panel kept on reporting that HDCP wasn't available (only happens with the GEFEN inline even with HDCP switch on). No HDCP = No High Definition Playback. I uninstalled the NVIDIA card and went back to my AMD HD7790 (with the Gefen in-line) and no problems (HDCP started working again). I wanted to upgrade to the NVIDIA card as it's faster than the 7790, uses less power, and more VRAM.

http://forum.gefen.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=16298

My setup - AMD HD7790 -> Geffen -> Yamaha Receiver -> TV

The unit is definitely a must, otherwise - when you turn off the receiver - Windows reconfigures the Audio Setup and usually ends up needing a reboot to get back DTS and other sound features supported by the receiver.

fiteclub

Post by fiteclub » Sun Jan 11, 2015 9:40 pm

Funks wrote:
Note, for anybody with a NVIDIA card, don't buy the GEFEN - you'll lose HDCP. Gefen blames it on NVIDIA's HDCP Handshake procedure (and was never fixed - even with the latest NVIDIA Drivers).

I took a restocking fee hit as I had to return an EVGA 750ti because Windows 8.1 and NVIDIA Control Panel kept on reporting that HDCP wasn't available (only happens with the GEFEN inline even with HDCP switch on). No HDCP = No High Definition Playback. I uninstalled the NVIDIA card and went back to my AMD HD7790 (with the Gefen in-line) and no problems (HDCP started working again). I wanted to upgrade to the NVIDIA card as it's faster than the 7790, uses less power, and more VRAM.

The unit is definitely a must, otherwise - when you turn off the receiver - Windows reconfigures the Audio Setup and usually ends up needing a reboot to get back DTS and other sound features supported by the receiver.
Funks, Do you know if the Dr. HDMI (by HDFury) device has the same issue as the Gefen device with respect to HDCP on Nvidia cards? I want to "trick" my Nvidia card into allowing it to send DD 5.1 to my plasma display and on to my AVR by way of the displays Toslink out connection. (I can't get an EDID override to work).

crawfish

Post by crawfish » Mon Jan 12, 2015 1:38 am

Funks wrote:

I had the same HDCP issue and talked about it earlier in the thread:

http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/vie ... 195#p83195

As for losing the Audio setup, see my second paragraph where I talked about using an EDID override to avoid that problem. Just hook everything up and get it configured right, then follow the instructions for running MonInfo to create and install the override.