Choppy video / slow menu response - X360 extender

Troubleshoot and discuss the XBOX 360, XBOX One, Linksys, and other extenders.
ewhenn

HTPC Specs: Show details

Choppy video / slow menu response - X360 extender

Post by ewhenn » Thu Nov 27, 2014 2:49 am

I'm getting an unusable connection on my Xbox360 as a media center extender. I've tried using wifi (which was bad) and also powerline networking. Due to the location running a ethernet drop to the xbox 360's locations is not feasible (I'd need to tear up flooring and walls). However I'm guessing that powerline networking *Should* be OK, here's why - I hooked a laptop into the same powerline adapter that the Xbox360 was hooked into and was able to transfer at ~70 mbit which is plenty for TV streaming, and was also able to load up Media Center on the laptop and watch HD content just fine, so unless I'm missing something the link speed should be fine.

To note, I'm not trying to re-encode video files from local HTPC storage or anything, just watch TV from an HD-Homerun Prime on the extender.

I'm pretty sure my HTPC is beefy enough to handle an extender, but just in case my HTPC specs are:
  • i3-2100
    Windows 7 32 bit
    Gigabit NIC (Onboard)
    4 GB RAM
    40 GB Intel SSD for OS (re-purposed)
    2x3TB HD in RAID1
The ESXi server does not saturate (or even come close to saturating) the link back to the "main" 8 port switch, it primarily runs network services on individual VMs:
  • OpenVPN - Debian 64 Server (So I can VPN into my home to access network shares/services and for when I'm using public wifi)
    PureFTPD - CentOS 6.5x64
    UnifiController - Ubuntu 12.04x64 Server (Controls my WiFi AP)
    Bind9 - CentOS 6.5x64 (Private DNS server)
    SquidProxy - Debian 64 Server (Caching Proxy)
    NNP - Debian 64 Server
    KillingFloor Server - Ubuntu 12.04x64 Server
Below is a diagram of my network, hopefully it's clear, but ask any questions you have.

Any ideas what could be causing my Xbox360 extender to behave so poorly?