Live TV issue

tghowe

HTPC Specs: Show details

Live TV issue

Post by tghowe » Wed Nov 26, 2014 2:03 pm

Running Windows 7 x64 with WMC running 24/7 with two HDHR-Primes, TunerSalad and Plex. I do not run Windows updates, so I can't blame anything recent for this.

If I play (but do not delete) a recording, the next time I go back to my HTPC I will find the recording playing on its own. This is a known bug that I'm fine with. I would usually launch a live TV session (then back out again) to prevent that "bug" from triggering. Lately though when I launch Live TV, or enter the Guide Data, it would dump me into the Recorded TV folder instead. The tuners are available, and all recordings happen with no issues....just Live TV won't engage. My X360 extender has no issues playing Live TV. Once in a while Live TV will work fine, but most of the time it doesn't. I noticed if I enter into another section (music, for example) Live TV works again. The machine is rebooted weekly.

Any ideas on how to fix this Live TV issue? Thanx in advance!
Praise the Gods, Do Good, Act Bravely

mdavej

Post by mdavej » Wed Nov 26, 2014 5:54 pm

Also a known bug. Scroll up then back down and it should work.

tghowe

Post by tghowe » Thu Nov 27, 2014 11:48 am

I will try that.....thanx! I didn't know that was another bug, never heard mention of it until now.
Praise the Gods, Do Good, Act Bravely

plooger

Post by plooger » Thu Jan 15, 2015 6:21 am

tghowe wrote:Lately though when I launch Live TV, or enter the Guide Data, it would dump me into the Recorded TV folder instead.
I was having this problem, also, on an Xbox 30 extender, and I also noticed that if my first action was to try shifting the focus right, to the guide menu icon, the cursor wouldn't move and I'd hear a quiet "bloop!". Then I'd see the symptom you describe above once I tried selecting the "guide" or "live tv" items.

For me, this was on a new WMC7 install -- though I'd done some customizing. I initially blamed MyChannelLogos XL, but the problem only went away once I put the Start Menu back to its original state. (I'd edited the registry to remove all but the TV and Tasks strips from the Start page.)

I'm in the process of trying to strip-down my menus, again, and now have Movies, TV & Tasks only, and the "dumped to Recorded TV" hiccup hasn't yet returned. We'll see.

p.s. As a side note, I'm trying to make sure that this time around, when I've finished editing the MCX user registries, I manually power-off the Xbox 360s via their power button, rather than closing WMC on the Xbox 360 via the "Shutdown/Close" menu task.

plooger

Post by plooger » Thu Jan 15, 2015 5:04 pm

plooger wrote:I'm in the process of trying to strip-down my menus, again, and now have Movies, TV & Tasks only, and the "dumped to Recorded TV" hiccup hasn't yet returned. We'll see.
The "dumped to Recorded TV" symptom cropped back up once I removed the Movies strip, but went away when I added the Extras strip back in. So WMC/MCX360 seems ok so long as I have 3 strips.

At this point I'll call it a draw, and make myself OK w/ 'Moviees', 'TV' and 'Tasks'. In fact, I'm a bit grateful for the bug, as the Movies tab does seem to provide some added value to the DVR experience.

mcewinter

Post by mcewinter » Thu Jan 15, 2015 6:05 pm

The "dumped to recorded TV" symptom has cropped up for me with every new windows install and seems to go away after the initial frustration. Like others have said, scroll up/down or simply press the guide button on your remote.

plooger

Post by plooger » Thu Jan 15, 2015 6:45 pm

mcewinter wrote:The "dumped to recorded TV" symptom has cropped up for me with every new windows install and seems to go away after the initial frustration. Like others have said, scroll up/down or simply press the guide button on your remote.
You've experienced this bug even on a clean, unmodified WMC instance?

(And, yes, scrolling up or down in the menu before trying to make a selection DOES workaround the issue.)

mcewinter

Post by mcewinter » Thu Jan 15, 2015 7:03 pm

I introduce plugins/modifications slowly, so it's hard for me to pinpoint working off of memory the exact moment it cropped up but it did occur soon after a fresh install. All I can say for sure is that I've experienced this on all of my machines and all of my installs. I can also say for sure that my MC is experience is always modified.