Tired of WMC7 Guide issues. Any Alternate Guide Options?

Global guide related discussion. All Windows versions.
JackDB

HTPC Specs: Show details

Tired of WMC7 Guide issues. Any Alternate Guide Options?

Post by JackDB » Sat Nov 15, 2014 12:11 am

I would like to get a reliable guide source for WMC7. I am using an HDHomeRun Prime with cable card. Everything was working great until the guide listings quit downloading. I am guessing there are server issues somewhere since this happened on both of my media servers at the same time. Are there any 3rd party solutions for this? Thanks in advance.

Jack

Space

Post by Space » Sun Nov 16, 2014 1:30 am

I haven't had any issues since I modified my hosts file. Have you tried this?

http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/vie ... f=5#p80288

EDIT: I see in another thread that you have tried editing the hosts file. I would recommend changing the hosts file (and leaving it that way for now) and then trying the other troubleshooting steps (other zip codes, etc.) if you haven't done it in that order before. The hosts file and the different zip codes solve two different problems, which may be why it is not coming together for you, you need to solve both issues.
Last edited by Space on Sun Nov 16, 2014 1:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

webminster

Post by webminster » Sun Nov 16, 2014 1:33 am

That or a headend change. Hard to say without info about your event logs. What errors are shown in the MCUpdate tasks in your event logs?
-Alan

tzr916

Post by tzr916 » Sun Nov 16, 2014 2:47 am

JackDB wrote:I would like to get a reliable guide source for WMC7...
http://bigscreenglobal.com/bgproduct.aspx?PID=BSEV1

webminster

Post by webminster » Sun Nov 16, 2014 5:10 am

Note that Big Screen EPG doesn't provide a guide source, tho. It provides a loader, a replacement guide display. You have to still find a compatible source of guide data to load, for instance from Schedules Direct. SD doesn't allow WMC at this time under their terms of service...
-Alan

JackDB

Post by JackDB » Sun Nov 16, 2014 3:25 pm

Thank you for the replies!

I am getting server connection errors in my log. I will cut and paste my log after I get some coffee, and wake up. lol

I am using Google DNS in my router, and PC network settings. I will add the lines back to my HOST file. I noticed that the link that you (Space) pointed me to had a date of September 22. So I would still add the following...

65.55.5.170 data.tvdownload.microsoft.com
2.16.216.176 cdn.epg.tvdownload.microsoft.com

Big Screen EPG looks like a step in the right direction!

Thanks again!

Jack

netguydave

Post by netguydave » Sun Nov 16, 2014 11:22 pm

JackDB, thank you! I used your post to fix my WMC EPG not updating problem. I'm in Westminster Colorado and using Comcast and Infinitv 4 channel cable card at 80021 zip code - which broke. I've been without a guide for several days. From the way I see it here is a breakdown of the steps I took. Hope it helps.
1. Cleanup your WMC database with C:\windows\ehome\mcupdate -dbgc. Watch your Event Log for Media Center for start and completion entries of this process
2. Change your router DNS entry to Google DNS: primary 8.8.8.8, alternate 8.8.4.4
3. Change your Windows 7 Network Connection IP DNS setting to match Google DNS 8.8.8.8/8.8.4.4
4. Add the newest hosts file entries that has been posted to this site - ping them to confirm connectivity: notepad c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts
As of 2014-11-15
65.55.5.170 data.tvdownload.microsoft.com
2.16.216.176 cdn.epg.tvdownload.microsoft.com
5. Flush your DNS cache - c:\ipconfig /flushdns
6. Reboot
7. Open CMD window at administrative level and update guide and clean database again: c:\windows\ehome\mcupdate -uf -pscn0 -dbgc
8. Monitor your Event Log for Media Center entries stating the EGP has successfully completed
9. If you get an error that the ID header is wrong then run WMC setup again and select a new zip code for your area. Monitor your Event Log for a successful download.
10. If the guide matches to the wrong channels then run the WMC Setup again to get you correct area guide.
11. At some point in time I'll have to remove the hosts file entries.

Good Luck

Space

Post by Space » Mon Nov 17, 2014 3:26 am

Since the hosts file overrides DNS (for those two domains that WMC uses), you shouldn't have to change anything in DNS, so steps 2 and 3 are unnecessary.

Also, steps 2 and 3 are mutually redundant in any scenario. You would only need to change one or the other, not both (changing it in the router is best). But as I said, you don't need to change either one if you update the hosts file.

maverickmt

Post by maverickmt » Tue Nov 18, 2014 2:15 am

Same issues here... I am in centennial so not far from you, similar setup. HD Home Run Prime, 7 extenders at one location and 7 at another (different MC also missing all guide information...)

Tried to ping data.tvdownload.microsoft.com (didn't edit my hosts files... hate doing that...) I am resolving the proper IP but timing out...

MS has given up on MC, its killing me!!!

Space

Post by Space » Tue Nov 18, 2014 2:54 am

maverickmt wrote:Same issues here... I am in centennial so not far from you, similar setup. HD Home Run Prime, 7 extenders at one location and 7 at another (different MC also missing all guide information...)

Tried to ping data.tvdownload.microsoft.com (didn't edit my hosts files... hate doing that...) I am resolving the proper IP but timing out...

MS has given up on MC, its killing me!!!
The servers are not configured to respond to pings, so that is not an indication that it will not work.

I recommend making the hosts file change until this issue has been reported as resolved, but that it is up to you.

SoNic67

Post by SoNic67 » Wed Nov 19, 2014 3:46 am

maverickmt wrote:MS has given up on MC, its killing me!!!
MC works just fine for me and other thousands of MC users. You see no widespread problems, just a couple here and there, probably viruses/spyware/malware related.
Or probably your PC has given up...

JackDB

Post by JackDB » Wed Nov 19, 2014 2:38 pm

SoNic67 wrote:
maverickmt wrote:MS has given up on MC, its killing me!!!
MC works just fine for me and other thousands of MC users. You see no widespread problems, just a couple here and there, probably viruses/spyware/malware related.
Or probably your PC has given up...

This ended up being Microsoft server issues. Adding specific HOST entries to the HOST file has fixed the issue for me, and many others...

http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/vie ... 670#p82670

My understanding now is that this has been an ongoing issue for sometime now. Many helpful folks here on the forum though!

maverickmt

Post by maverickmt » Fri Nov 21, 2014 8:02 pm

Hmmm, how does updating my hosts file help? The proper ip's are resolving when I ping the domains - even if they aren't set to respond to pings.

As far as MS giving up on Media Center... they have, no extender support in Xbox One and no updates to the software in Windows 8 are telling, that said I am a big fan of it (I have a lot invested between cat6 throughout the house and 7 xbox's) I just wish it had a future...

maverickmt

Post by maverickmt » Fri Nov 21, 2014 8:04 pm

Will make the hosts file changes and see what happens...

ogiewon

Post by ogiewon » Mon Nov 24, 2014 11:55 pm

maverickmt wrote:Hmmm, how does updating my hosts file help? The proper ip's are resolving when I ping the domains - even if they aren't set to respond to pings.

As far as MS giving up on Media Center... they have, no extender support in Xbox One and no updates to the software in Windows 8 are telling, that said I am a big fan of it (I have a lot invested between cat6 throughout the house and 7 xbox's) I just wish it had a future...

The server names are actually part of a content delivery network, and thus there are many IP addresses that resolve to the same server name. By using a Hosts file, you force your system to use a "working" server, instead of getting a random "broken" server.