Tuning adapter problems

Ask fellow members about Ceton's infiniTV tuners here.
Forum rules
Ceton no longer participate in this forum. Official support may still be handled via the Ceton Ticket system.
Beerman

HTPC Specs: Show details

Tuning adapter problems

Post by Beerman » Sun Nov 02, 2014 11:39 pm

I'm not getting any of the SDV channels and everything shows disabled or unavailable but a call to Cox and they tell me on their end, things are fine and it should be working. I guess I should bring it in for an exchange but is there anything I can check besides the Diagnostics tool to see for sure if that's the problem?
I've powered it off and let it initialize a number of times with no change. I've tried different USB ports as well as USB cables...no change.

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Mon Nov 03, 2014 12:23 am

Which tuner are you using with the TA? Which TA do you have? What O/S is running WMC?

Maybe boot the tuner also, might jiggle something back into line.

Have you tried cabling your TA like this?
Attachments
MocaTivoTa.jpg

Beerman

Post by Beerman » Mon Nov 03, 2014 1:19 pm

I'm using the InfiniTV 4 PCIe with a Motorolla MTR700.
After another hour on the phone with a helpless Cox tech, I'm just going to take it back and exchange it though I really don't think it's the TA, but that's just a guess.
If that doesn't work, I'll give your suggestion a try.
Thanks!

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Mon Nov 03, 2014 1:33 pm

Well that complicates things, doesn't it? If the new TA does the same thing, you are going to have to figure out how to troubleshoot USB.

sbaeder

Post by sbaeder » Mon Nov 03, 2014 9:29 pm

Just a comment - the basic phone support folks never seem to be able to properly fix the mappings of a TA system (in my experience, and from other anecdotal evidence here)...Your probably going to have to have a SENIOR tech come out who has "connections" (i.e. secret phone numbers of folks who can really fix the back end programming)

Good Luck

erkotz

Post by erkotz » Tue Nov 04, 2014 2:01 am

Make sure that you try a USB 2.0 (not 3.0) port. If the issue persists, open a support ticket at http://www.cetoncorp.com/support/
Quality Assurance Manager, Ceton Corporation

Beerman

Post by Beerman » Tue Nov 04, 2014 2:25 am

Got a new TA but for a few hours it didn't work. I rebooted both the TA and the computer and it worked. I think the USB ports were locked up though all seemed to be working. But when I rebooted, I heard the familiar USB sounds twice.
I'm tired of fooling with this....it works and why or what happened, I don't know but thanks for the help.

sbaeder

Post by sbaeder » Tue Nov 04, 2014 8:54 pm

Just a guess, but after you got the NEW equipment, they put the data into the system PROPERLY, and it took a while to propagate down...on the later "reboot", it reloaded the configs to the TA, and "Bobs your Uncle"!

Beerman

Post by Beerman » Wed Nov 05, 2014 2:09 am

Pretty much correct......except I have no uncle Bob! :)

Mpgrimm2

Post by Mpgrimm2 » Thu Nov 06, 2014 2:05 pm

sbaeder wrote:Just a comment - the basic phone support folks never seem to be able to properly fix the mappings of a TA system (in my experience, and from other anecdotal evidence here)...Your probably going to have to have a SENIOR tech come out who has "connections" (i.e. secret phone numbers of folks who can really fix the back end programming)

Good Luck
This has been my experience with my original iTV4 (dead) and my ETH6 with Cox Cable and the Mtr700 during initial setup.

Specifically the phone techs were not adding/provisioning? the MTR 700 TA to the "same tier" or level as the CableCard in their system which created the problem for me. (The two weren't working together). That's how the tech explained it to me anyway.

After finally getting a more knowledgeable/thorough tech, I made a note of the 'fix' and make sure to mention it to Cox support when/if I replace a CableCard, TA, or tuner.

kd6icz

Post by kd6icz » Wed Jul 08, 2015 11:55 pm

I've been having issues with all three of my MTR700's freezing and sometimes taking down my RAID controller driver with them. The TA will be communicating fine and then all of a sudden just stop completely.

I first thought my low signal level was causing high heat on the TA when transmitting (output was +41dbm) so I added a couple of small fans to cool the units. That seemed to help some so I then added back in line a +10db bi-directional amp which dropped the output of the TA to +30dbm. That made channel changing MUCH faster. But yet still today while watching live TV my RAID controller disappeared.... So I'm wondering what the tuning adapter driver and Marvell RAID controller have to do with each other. A simple reboot of the PC and TA's takes care of the issue.

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Thu Jul 09, 2015 5:50 am

kd6icz wrote:I've been having issues with all three of my MTR700's freezing and sometimes taking down my RAID controller driver with them. The TA will be communicating fine and then all of a sudden just stop completely.

I first thought my low signal level was causing high heat on the TA when transmitting (output was +41dbm) so I added a couple of small fans to cool the units. That seemed to help some so I then added back in line a +10db bi-directional amp which dropped the output of the TA to +30dbm. That made channel changing MUCH faster. But yet still today while watching live TV my RAID controller disappeared.... So I'm wondering what the tuning adapter driver and Marvell RAID controller have to do with each other. A simple reboot of the PC and TA's takes care of the issue.
check your chipset drivers. Can't way why, just a hunch.

kd6icz

Post by kd6icz » Fri Jul 10, 2015 10:29 pm

Crash2009 wrote:check your chipset drivers. Can't way why, just a hunch.
I updated them I think. It's an HP SFF business machine and based on the existing drivers it has a 6 series chipset. I went straight to Intel's website to update them. So far so good.