New HTPC build recommendation

A place to talk about GPUs/Motherboards/CPUs/Cases/Remotes, etc.
phishy

HTPC Specs: Show details

New HTPC build recommendation

Post by phishy » Sat Nov 01, 2014 8:49 pm

ok i want to build my first htpc only component i know i want to use so far is InfiniTV 6 PCIe probably 2 of them eventually so looking for recommendation on the rest of the parts list mobo processor graphic card if needed .

the sole use of this htpc will be 4 streaming ,recording live tv and movies playback it will be connected to 4 tv running almost all day 3 will b extenders and one tv directly connected any help would b greatly appreciated

jec6613

Post by jec6613 » Sat Nov 01, 2014 11:59 pm

With two PCI-E tuners, you'll want a full ATX board and case, if only for cooling, which narrows it down quite a bit. I'm shopping for one myself, and a Silverstone GD07 or Lian-Li PC-C60 are my top two choices with room for lots of HDDs and cooling.

An LGA1150 based board, I haven't looked at ones for a media center lately, but any full ATX from a major manufacturer will do fine, although vPro is a feature I like to have (it allows for lights out management, you can remote into it without a working OS). For a CPU, some may recommend a Core i5 or Core i7, but for a media center I'd actually recommend a Xeon E3. It's the same money for performance from about $200-$300 as you get with an Intel Core series CPU, but has different speedstep and idle programming designed for continuous and server duty, and also usually don't have quite the TDP issues.

Assuming this is just for media, any mid to low-end video card with HDMI out is perfect.

For storage, if you want availability through a HDD failure, I'd suggest two 128-ish GB SSDs in RAID 1, and four WD Red or similar RAID qualified drives in RAID 5. Even with twelve tuners at once, that's continuous so even one HDD can handle it, but RAID 5 gives you the benefit of redundancy in the event of a disk failure.

To get more specific, it would be helpful to know what the goal of this setup is: just a DVR, or more?

cwinfield

Post by cwinfield » Sun Nov 02, 2014 12:05 am

I would suggest a haswell i5 or i7 if you plan on eventually going to 12 tuners, an asrock or asus matx motherboard, one with a intel integrated NIC. Other than that get a SSD for OS and a traditional HDD for recordings. You shouldn't need a GPU card for a just HTPC duty. Also with 3 extenders I would opt for 12-16 GB of RAM.

phishy

Post by phishy » Sun Nov 02, 2014 2:26 am

jec6613 wrote: To get more specific, it would be helpful to know what the goal of this setup is: just a DVR, or more?

more :D i want to stream live tv to 4 tv as well be able to rec hence y i want to build up to 12 tuners as well play movies through out the house now 16- 18 gb will that be able ok haveing 4 tv streaming live tv at sametime

jec6613

Post by jec6613 » Sun Nov 02, 2014 3:18 am

So you're really building two systems in one: a storage server, and a media center PC. That makes it trickier, actually, and is a task I split in two: one machine handles storage and exports VHDs over iSCSI and does file sharing, with a small disk in the media center itself just for recorded TV buffering and temporary recorded TV storage.

For that, I definitely recommend a Xeon over an i7 - the Xeon E3-1271v3 should do nicely, and you'll need a GPU with that (it doesn't have an onboard GPU). The extra thermal overhead from not having an onboard GPU will be important for constant load streaming, and you're not going to OC this, so a K series CPU wouldn't matter, anyway. They'll handily outperform an i7 under the 12 stream load, due to the use of DBS rather than SpeedStep. It's not a massive difference, but certainly worth the few extra dollars it'll cost (and it really is just a few).

16 GB of RAM, with ECC, in two modules, to support expansion to 32 GB later. Speed isn't important, but the ability to run 24/7 for years is, and ECC doesn't cost much more.

For a board, I'd suggest the ASRock C226 WS. It's not very much more expensive, but the 10 SATA ports will come in handy over the normal 6 for your disks. It also has sufficient slots to allow for expandability.

If WAF isn't an issue (e.g. you don't care what it looks like) you can pick up one of dozens of big towers, but if it is an issue, there are a very few media center cases that fit the bill from Silverstone and Lian-Li. So do looks matter, and is hot swap important to you?

All of this will add about $200 to the build cost (going with a Xeon, ECC RAM and a real server board), but owning both server/WS boards and their more pedestrian desktop counterparts, there is a definitive difference in long term stability.

phishy

Post by phishy » Sun Nov 02, 2014 9:46 pm

here my parts list so far not sure which memory i should go with going a little off topic i want to use Ceton Echo for my extender so should i run win 7 or 8
one more question wmc only see 4 tuner and useing tuner salad will up it to 8 so how do i use all 12 tuners

Intel E3-1271 v3
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6819117314
ASRock C226 WS
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... -_-Product

phishy

Post by phishy » Sun Nov 02, 2014 9:46 pm

cwinfield

Post by cwinfield » Sun Nov 02, 2014 10:35 pm

Echo is not compatable with Windows 8.X

sbaeder

Post by sbaeder » Sun Nov 02, 2014 10:41 pm

for ceton extenter, yes - Win7 is recommended...(as was mentioned)...On other things, my thoughts are network bandwidth is going to be important, since you are going with the PCI-e version, getting all that out to 4 (or more) systems is something to think about, but a gig ethernet should handle it - assuming rest of network is up to snuff...you didn't mention WIFI, so I hope that is the case (i.e. use Cat6). Agree storage is the key if you are really going to put 6 (or 12) tuners to work, again, that is a lot of data per hour to shove over to the disks - And the more memory the better, since the extenders will need it...I think the advice above covers things fairly well...

Good Luck

jec6613

Post by jec6613 » Mon Nov 03, 2014 12:15 am

This one. The first link is for Registered, and you need Unbuffered.

For network, you'll either need to run wires everywhere (only the server needs to be gigabit, everything else can be 100 Mbps), or if you're using wireless, a dedicated access point for each wireless extender. Obviously, wired is better.

Which brings met to the next point: with 12 HD tuners in use the disks will take quite a hit. The WD Purple drives are designed for that sort of operation, and the cost/TB is quite good. The 6 TB have the best cost/TB, so obviously get those: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6822236861

For an extender, if you want to use the Ceton Echo, you'll need to use Windows 7. Unfortunately, the really cool storage management comes with Windows 8.1 and Storage Spaces, but the Xbox 360 is still highly competent as an extender. This is, however, one of the most important choices. If you go with Windows 7, the Ceton Echo works, but to handle 12 tuners you'll need to plan storage very carefully and may need an extra controller. If you decide to use the Xbox 360 with Windows 8.1, the storage becomes very easy to manage and much higher performance and less of an issue.

phishy

Post by phishy » Mon Nov 03, 2014 12:57 am

thxns for info on hhd as far as extenders goes can i have the 360 running 24/7 and not over heat i know the originals 360 would over heat after an like 4 hr of playing

just for the info i will be running wired throughout the house u sure 100 Mbps will be fine

jec6613

Post by jec6613 » Mon Nov 03, 2014 2:58 am

phishy wrote:thxns for info on hhd as far as extenders goes can i have the 360 running 24/7 and not over heat i know the originals 360 would over heat after an like 4 hr of playing

just for the info i will be running wired throughout the house u sure 100 Mbps will be fine
100 Mbps to the edge, gigabit in the core, is fine. The Xbox 360 only has a 10/100 Mbps Ethernet port, anyway, so just get a gigabit switch and you'll be fine.

Even original Xenon board Xbox 360's can run 24/7 without overheating with firmware updates made within the first year of the console's life, and especially after the NXE update, so it's heat is not an issue. Also, newer ones are much more power efficient, quieter, and generally better all-around.

phishy

Post by phishy » Mon Nov 03, 2014 5:29 am

jec6613 wrote:
phishy wrote:thxns for info on hhd as far as extenders goes can i have the 360 running 24/7 and not over heat i know the originals 360 would over heat after an like 4 hr of playing

100 Mbps to the edge, gigabit in the core, is fine. The Xbox 360 only has a 10/100 Mbps Ethernet port, anyway, so just get a gigabit switch and you'll be fine.

Even original Xenon board Xbox 360's can run 24/7 without overheating with firmware updates made within the first year of the console's life, and especially after the NXE update, so it's heat is not an issue. Also, newer ones are much more power efficient, quieter, and generally better all-around.

ok thxns here the case i picked any suggestion on power supply

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6811163195

what your guys thoughts onthis ssd for is drive

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6820233626

btw you guys are the best thanks to all of you

jec6613

Post by jec6613 » Mon Nov 03, 2014 4:42 pm

I like that case, particularly for as much as you'll be putting into it.

For SSD, I'd suggest two drives: identical 120 GB SSDs, in RAID 1. If one fails, you can simply replace it. 60 GB is a bit too small, though, you'll need room for future OS inflation, and of course for your swap file. For HDDs, the ones suggested, and configure them as storage space drives.

Also, remember, you'll need a video card. I'm a fan of NVidia, but nearly anything will work well for this.

For a PSU, anything in the 750-800W range should work, and I'd probably get a Silverstone to minimize any size compatibility issues. Remember that you'll need lots of SATA connectors, though.

phishy

Post by phishy » Mon Nov 03, 2014 6:02 pm

not to sound like an idiot when you say configure drive for storage you mean just tell wmc to rec and read from that drive right and another question seeing as i'm getting graphic card should i get a sound card as well i use a stereo for surround sound will be using a toslink to connect them

one more thing i forgot to ask what about heat sink what would you recommend stock a seal system or an after market air one

cwinfield

Post by cwinfield » Mon Nov 03, 2014 6:13 pm

The ASRock C226 WS has a optical SPDIF toslink connection so no sound card is necessary. The integrated sound is a realtek ALC1150.

Xeon processors do come with stock coolers. More elegant cooling are heat sinks or closed loop water coolers. As far as fans generally the larger and lower rpm are better for noise and effeciency.

jec6613

Post by jec6613 » Mon Nov 03, 2014 6:47 pm

I mean Windows Storage Spaces, more info here:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/wind ... aces-pools

They're a very flexible and powerful method of managing all of your storage.

phishy

Post by phishy » Thu Nov 06, 2014 10:19 pm

i thanks all of you for your help i believe i'm ready to start saving up and buying the part for this adventure just two more thing
1. what close loop system fits inside this case
2. do any of you have recommendation on a universal remote that will work a stereo as well wmc

cwinfield

Post by cwinfield » Thu Nov 06, 2014 10:42 pm

phishy

Post by phishy » Fri Nov 07, 2014 9:52 pm

thanks again i think im ready to save up for parts now