How do you record shows from the EPG with ":" in the title

Global guide related discussion. All Windows versions.
Gilgamesh-au

HTPC Specs: Show details

How do you record shows from the EPG with ":" in the title

Post by Gilgamesh-au » Wed Oct 29, 2014 8:30 am

Hi,
I was looking at recording a series from the EPG but the show title included a ":". As this is invalid in a windows filename all of the attempted recordings have failed.
Is there anyway of getting media center to ignore the : when creating the file recording?
Thanks

CyberSimian

Post by CyberSimian » Wed Oct 29, 2014 11:12 am

Gilgamesh-au wrote:I was looking at recording a series from the EPG but the show title included a ":". As this is invalid in a windows filename all of the attempted recordings have failed. Is there anyway of getting media center to ignore the : when creating the file recording?
Windows Media Center automatically changes the ":" character in a programme title to become the dash character "-" in the filename. It does this for certain other special characters too, such as "*" and "?". Are you sure that the recordings are failing due to filename errors?

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

Gilgamesh-au

Post by Gilgamesh-au » Thu Oct 30, 2014 3:07 am

CyberSimian wrote: Windows Media Center automatically changes the ":" character in a programme title to become the dash character "-" in the filename. It does this for certain other special characters too, such as "*" and "?". Are you sure that the recordings are failing due to filename errors?
No I'm not sure about that, there is nothing in the show history or the systems event log about it even failing. I'm afraid I made an assumption :oops: