Time Machine: would you go back?

Talk with fellow members about Ceton's Media Center Extender.
Forum rules
Ceton no longer participate in this forum. Official support may still be handled via the Ceton Ticket system.
BCloud

HTPC Specs: Show details

Time Machine: would you go back?

Post by BCloud » Tue Oct 28, 2014 8:04 pm

I'm seeking a new extender for my bedroom, and I currently have an old Xbox 360 (fat). Its is loud, hot, and has red ringed once before but hasn't died yet.:problem: I'm considering picking up either a Xbox 360 E or a Ceton Echo; However I'm nervous about some of the reported problems others have reported with the echo. (ie. disconnections, failing to connect, and audio issues) :think:

Keeping noise and heat down are my primary concerns for this installation, in order to keep my wife happy. :)

For those of you who have the echo, if you had a time machine to back, would've bought the echo or a Xbox 360 and why?

Any help in my discussion making would be greatly appreciated. :thumbup:

Setup:

WMC 7 Server: IBM Thinkpad T61, 2.4 GHZ 4GB ram
Network: Wired 1Gbps to 2 extenders (currently)
Tuner: Ceton Infinitv 4 USB
1TB TV Storage

RyC

Post by RyC » Tue Oct 28, 2014 8:44 pm

You can always buy it from Amazon and if it doesn't work out for you, return it for all your money back. But it works fine for me. I really didn't want a massive xbox just to watch TV

STC

Post by STC » Tue Oct 28, 2014 8:48 pm

Echo in the bedroom hands down. I leave mine on. Turn on the TV and one green button press and that's it, ready to go.

Occasional evening use, and works absolutely fine for TV viewing for the wife and I.
By the Community, for the Community. 100% Commercial Free.

Want decent guide data back? Check out EPG123

BCloud

Post by BCloud » Tue Oct 28, 2014 9:08 pm

RyC wrote:You can always buy it from Amazon and if it doesn't work out for you, return it for all your money back. But it works fine for me. I really didn't want a massive xbox just to watch TV
Thanks for the input guys. :thumbup:

Newegg has one for $99 I'm considering. This plus my google TV costar for apps (netflix, amazon) I may be set.

If I do go with the echo, What usb IR receivers are supported? In order to mount the echo behind my wall mounted TV.

christoph86

Post by christoph86 » Tue Oct 28, 2014 9:21 pm

For 99 bucks absolutely. I've been overall pretty happy with my echo as long as you are using it for live and recorded tv. Movie rips haven't played that well for me so I don't bother with that on it anymore.

adam1991

Post by adam1991 » Tue Oct 28, 2014 10:39 pm

STC wrote:Echo in the bedroom hands down. I leave mine on. Turn on the TV and one green button press and that's it, ready to go.

Occasional evening use, and works absolutely fine for TV viewing for the wife and I.
Now that I have a brand new TV in the bedroom, this is my experience also. (The old TV, not so much. HDMI interface issues abounded.)

Echo is a fine extender.

spanner

Post by spanner » Wed Oct 29, 2014 1:58 am

echos in the kitchen and bedroom no problems and like the small size. New Xbox in the grand kids room no brainer there. linksys in exercise rm and guest bedroom that just keep on working. For a legacy system we still have some decent options

BCloud

Post by BCloud » Wed Oct 29, 2014 8:06 pm

OK, I pulled the trigger on an echo for my bedroom. Thanks everyone

Echo+Google TV (for apps)+harmoney 650= Awesome!

Would've been even better if Ceton went ahead and made an android version echo, or at least a version based on windows 8 for apps.