WMC will not give me access to some copy protected channels

jhyde692

HTPC Specs: Show details

WMC will not give me access to some copy protected channels

Post by jhyde692 » Tue Oct 28, 2014 7:52 pm

Hi,
This is my first post as I am new to WMC, but I have been spending a lot of time here troubleshooting and searching (LOVE this forum!). I am currently experiencing two issues that I cant seem to resolve. But first, here is some background that may be relevant...

Details on my setup and background: I have a SiliconDust HDHomeRun Prime with a cable card through Time Warner Cable in Thousand Oaks, CA (Northern LA area). When it was setup, the installer paired it to another box (looks like a small basic tuner). I have two Ceton Echo extenders attached. Initially I had no problems running WMC on W7 and everything was working beautifully until I decided to build a new PC to run WMC and mount it in a rack with the rest of my network equipment. Configuring WMC on the new PC running W7 was a nightmare since I wasn't able to download my cable lineup and guide after WMC initially found my three SiliconDust tuners until I changed the DNS server - a trick found elsewhere on this forum. I now have 6 days of guide data. Note that I was never able to get PlayReady to work, so I used a workaround that was detailed elsewhere on this forum. Currently, WMC is working, but I'm having three issues:

1) I can't get access to some of the channels that I subscribe to, but others come in just fine. These are all copy protected channels. For example, CNN and FNC come in fine, but MSNBC and CNBC will generate a message to the effect of "no tuners available", OR "subscription required". These seem like totally different issues, but the problems always happen on the same channels, and either message may appear. I have recently rescanned all three tuners in the Silicone Dust software, and it reports no issues with cable card parings, signal quality, etc. I have also made sure that none of the channels were de-selected. Rebooting clears up the issues temporarily, giving me access to all channels, but the problems always reappear.

2) Audio is glitchy. Sometimes a channel will have audio, other times it will not, but if I change the channel and come back, the audio will usually return. The same is true when playing back a recording - sometimes I get audio, other times not. stopping and starting the recording will usually fix the issue. I have only experienced this on the Ceton extenders (both of them). Not sure if it happens on the WMC PC. Note that I have the latest video, HDMI, and audio drivers installed.

What should I do? Re-pair my cablecard? Have TWC come out and check the signal? Please help!

Scallica

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by Scallica » Wed Oct 29, 2014 2:12 pm

Make sure your HDHomeRun has the latest firmware/drivers installed. Your CableCard does not appear to be paired/provisioned properly or the card is defective. Schedule an appointment with TWC; have them check the signal and replace the card.

Please create a separate thread in the Echo forum for your other issue.
HTPC Enthusiast / Forum Moderator - TGB.tv Code of Conduct