Can't connect Echo to WMC

Talk with fellow members about Ceton's Media Center Extender.
Forum rules
Ceton no longer participate in this forum. Official support may still be handled via the Ceton Ticket system.
tapout72

HTPC Specs: Show details

Can't connect Echo to WMC

Post by tapout72 » Sat Oct 25, 2014 11:52 pm

I just got 2 Echos and followed the installation instructions to join the Echo to WMC. WMC sees the echos on the network but after inputting the 8 digit setup key I get a cannot connect device error. I disabled my FW and Antivirus on my WMC PC and still receive the same error. I'm able to successfully join an XBOX 360 without any issues. I also tried it on other Win7 PCs I had laying around and got the same results. I don't think its a PC issue since I can replicate the issue on other PCs. I doubt its an issue with the Echo if it happens on 2 of them. Which leads me to think its in my network environment. I'm running Gig connections and my Linksys E4200V1 router is running DDWRT. Anyone have any thoughts before I send these two back?

newfiend

Post by newfiend » Sun Oct 26, 2014 11:44 am

What are you using for Anti-Virus Software? Have you tried uninstalling it completely then connecting the echo's?
Most of us use Microsoft Security Essentials on out HTPC's without issue.
newfiend~

tapout72

Post by tapout72 » Sun Oct 26, 2014 5:55 pm

I use Microsoft Security Essentials. Yes, I completely removed the antivirus and disable the firewall. Same results.

adam1991

Post by adam1991 » Sun Oct 26, 2014 8:10 pm

As I read your post, I got the same gut reaction you did: it's your network topology that's getting in the way.

We don't have enough info on all of that, so I would recommend doing what you can to establish that the Echos themselves are functional. Can you connect them "directly" to the WMC PC? Maybe put a small switch right there at the PC and put both the PC and the Echo on that switch? See what happens?

tapout72

Post by tapout72 » Sun Oct 26, 2014 8:35 pm

Last night I did just that. I connected the Echo directly to my WMC PC. I was able to ping the Echo to confirm they could talk to each other. Same results. I ran a wireshark trace in every scenario (connect to the network and PC/Echo direct connection). Both traces showed the same network reset at the same point of communication. Maybe I just have bad luck and got two bad Echos.

adam1991

Post by adam1991 » Sun Oct 26, 2014 9:37 pm

hmmmmm. That would be extremely....surprising to have TWO bad Echos.

Surprising enough that I would look into your HTPC NIC very hard. Wait a minute--you said it happens to other Win7 PCs? So yeah, that seriously casts doubt on it being a specific PC issue--unless, of course, all of your PCs have identical NICs and NIC setups.

tapout72

Post by tapout72 » Sun Oct 26, 2014 10:38 pm

Yes, same results on different Win7 PCs. However, I did not try a point to point connection with those other PCs. Just to be sure I upgraded the drivers and still no joy. Maybe the next thing I'll do is take it over to a friends house and see if I can connect it on their network to their PC. I just don't see why my Xbox 360 has no issues connecting, one would think the Echo connects the same way and shouldn't have an issue. I'm running out of ideas and hope.

Does the echo require any special DHCP scope option requirements that I don't know about?

newfiend

Post by newfiend » Sun Oct 26, 2014 11:16 pm

You did install the Echo Media Center Plugin from the Ceton Servers on your HTPC correct? You can find more info on that at www.cetoncorp.com there is a plugin that mist be installed on the HTPC first prior to connection as an extender.

tapout72

Post by tapout72 » Sun Oct 26, 2014 11:20 pm

Yes plugin was installed. I download the latest version. Perhaps it worth trying an older version if someone has it available?

adam1991

Post by adam1991 » Mon Oct 27, 2014 1:34 am

Some people insist that the Echo should get a reserved IP address as set by your DHCP server. (The Echo cannot be set with a fixed address, so DHCP reservation by MAC address is your only option.)

I've never seen the need for a fixed IP address, and I can't imagine how that would change anything in this circumstance, but there you have it.

tapout72

Post by tapout72 » Mon Oct 27, 2014 3:40 am

I've read through all the threads and tried the IP reservation for my echos. As a network engineer, I can't logically see how that would matter in any circumstance. Tried it anyways but still got the same results. I gotta try to join the echo on another network, preferably a network without a router flashed with DDWRT to see if there is any difference. I can't see why there would be but I don't exactly have very much options at this point.

tapout72

Post by tapout72 » Mon Oct 27, 2014 10:39 pm

Ok, I may be really going out on a limb here. The latest echo plugin I downloaded is ver7.13.01.16.0480. Could it be that this version is flawed? Anyone happen to have an older version of the plugin where I can downloaded it try?

Rainey

Post by Rainey » Tue Oct 28, 2014 5:25 am

Did you run the Digital Cable Advisor in the Extras Library ?
and did your PC pass the test.

Did you install Play ready yet and setup a tuner in WMC ?

With that said i got 3 echos and the first one i tried would not connect. It would take the code and go through all the checks and get to the last test connecting to WMC and never finish. On the WMC PC you could see the echo in device manager try to connect over and over. It was a bad echo, but there are ways to recover them sometime it works. It would be strange if both of your new echoes were bad.

One last thing, the echoes should be plugged in the same power outlet that the TV is plugged into or you might get a ground loop and it could cause the echo to reboot over and over.

tapout72

Post by tapout72 » Tue Oct 28, 2014 5:43 am

Rainey,

Thanks for your response.

yes DCA was run passed. Playready was also installed and the tuner is set up. I can watch TV from WMC without any issues. When I connect the echo, it goes through the first check of configuring computer settings, then fails on the second check.

I don't have an issue of the echo rebooting over and over so i don't think there is a ground loop issue.

I did a recovery both with the recovery tool connecting to the Ceton servers and a recovery using the recovery code. Both did not change the results. I must be the luckiest person in the world to get two bad echos. I should go to vegas and go all in with that kind of luck.

tapout72

Post by tapout72 » Tue Oct 28, 2014 6:02 am

It fails on the second check which is "searching for your extender". Attached is a wireshark trace between my WMC PC and the Echo. Connect resets when the PC is searching for the Echo. Not sure why when it seems to communicate with it before the reset.
Attachments
echo2.zip
(1.08 KiB) Downloaded 67 times

newfiend

Post by newfiend » Tue Oct 28, 2014 7:12 pm

This may sound like a dumb question but have you tried different Ethernet cables on the back of the echo to rule out a faulty Ethernet cable? Tried taking the router out of the loop yet as well? Tried something without DDWRT installed?

tapout72

Post by tapout72 » Wed Oct 29, 2014 6:16 am

Tried all of the above except something with DDWRT. Thats my next step. Once I have the time I'll take it over to someone's house and give it a shot there. However, I'm not too optimistic as I tried connecting them peer to peer directly into each other without a router at all and still go the same results.

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Wed Oct 29, 2014 12:55 pm

When you plug the Echo into the switch, does the switch link light come on?

tapout72

Post by tapout72 » Wed Oct 29, 2014 7:37 pm

Yes it does.

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Thu Oct 30, 2014 7:44 am

tapout72 wrote:Yes it does.
I think that means the Echo's NIC is ok. Cable is good too. My hunch was you weren't getting a link light which means dead NIC on echo. Not sure what to suggest next.