Eth6 signal issues (EMM drop)

Ask fellow members about Ceton's infiniTV tuners here.
Forum rules
Ceton no longer participate in this forum. Official support may still be handled via the Ceton Ticket system.
STC

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by STC » Mon Feb 23, 2015 11:21 pm

It looks pretty. Hasn't brought down my system. It looks pretty.
By the Community, for the Community. 100% Commercial Free.

Want decent guide data back? Check out EPG123

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Tue Feb 24, 2015 2:17 am

STC wrote:It looks pretty. Hasn't brought down my system. It looks pretty.
What did you have to do to get it right?

STC

Post by STC » Tue Feb 24, 2015 3:09 am

Earlier versions a few years ago screwed with things, not now.

We're going OT....
By the Community, for the Community. 100% Commercial Free.

Want decent guide data back? Check out EPG123

cKuR6

Post by cKuR6 » Tue Feb 24, 2015 7:16 pm

Wow, I hope you're not a saleman STC! hahaha

Crash, I mentioned it before, but RTVHD provides much easier navigation than WMC does natively. Unless I am missing something, wmc browsing absolutely sucks for a larger dvr setting.

I have a favorites bar up top, which has 7 lists, easilly narrowing down my browsing. With this feature, RTVHD is told to remove anything assigned to a favorites list, from the main strip. Therefore, another unique feature is that it shows you when a new recording has finally happened. Say for instance you have setup one of the new series coming out in March to record. If you're like I am and don't spend much time surfing the guide, or watching for when things will be on, this function quickly shows me when it loads, that there is a first time recording in my DVR.

Another navigation or sort capability I've not found natively in WMC is season/episode sort display. There are multiple benefits of this function. I'll hit on two. First, say you've recorded the transporter series, but never watched one episode. When it is finally time, you can easilly, and I mean two button clicks, get to episode one. Alternatively, with two clicks and a play, you can have RTVHD playing every episode in whatever order you wish.
Second example of functionality would be as follows. Say you have a younger son who loves Fairly Odd Parents, and teeters on the edge of drug addiction like reactions when someone deletes his show..... so he had 96 episodes saved. I can only imagine searching through 96 episodes in wmc as something that would bring on nap time quicker than a mid day shot of your favorite drink (i don't drink, but I do remember those days). All he has to do is arrow right to "KIDS", arrow right to FOD, arrow right to season, arrow down to his show. Within seconds he is on the episode he wants (young 5 yrs old). I promise parents would be spending much more time finding shows without RTVHD. At least in my house we would.

Most importantly,
"It looks pretty".

It runs fine on my system with 4GB. Even better with 8GB. None of the issues we've dealt with have changed as a result of RTVHD. I've never removed it, and yet we've resolved most issues. Another case in point, the daily tuner errors are when my wife is home, and she is stuck on wmc interface for some reason....so rtvhd is not even running then.
About once a week I'll get a "RTVHD has stopped working... close program pop up".
The only hiccup I see is when you try to use the guide, schedule a recording, view upcoming, or delete a large amount of shows through the RTVHD interface.
However, as you mentioned, why use RTVHD for something wmc does well? So I don't use RTVHD for anything but viewing TV Movies (oh, another benefit, movies section is completely seperate from tv, which isn't always successful in wmc), and dvr tv.
The echo remote provides full wmc native functionality, without touching rtvhd. When I want to use the dvr, we push the dvr button and begin rtvhd interface.

cKuR6

Post by cKuR6 » Thu Feb 26, 2015 5:41 am

I noticed the new recorded tv folder on the new drive, was read only. Since the last netstop/start and changing the folder properties, we've not had an issue. The last three weeks though, it's failed on Friday at 2000. Strange because that is the same day and time that a twc sent a failed fw update. Unfortunately, I don't know any way to see if twc is messing with anything.

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Thu Feb 26, 2015 7:40 am

That sounds "Real Pretty"

Must be a support nightmare. I can just imagine you trying to explain how to run it to those not so inclined.

It's real pretty, but don't do this, unless you see that, and if you see something different, call 911.

cKuR6

Post by cKuR6 » Thu Feb 26, 2015 2:05 pm

huh? I gave a detailed overview, so as to give a former user with a bad experience, the complete picture of what it is capable of.

Like I implied (i thought explicitly stated), it's very intuitive, user friendly, and much easier to find everything than in WMC DVR interface.
It's rather simple and no one in my house has trouble knowing what to do. There really is no, "dont do this" to it. Only the admin should be mass deleting shows. The admin knows, that is best done at the PC, not in the front end user interface.....

Also, for anyone who ends up searching this 5 page nightmare, the previously listed actiontec MoCA big brother, is not a big brother at all, but a close brush with false advertisement. They seem to puprosely not list the speeds, anywhere easy to find like all other devices. Instead, they clearly call out Gigabit in their description, leading one to believe, it's a Gb MoCA device.

After nights of researching, the device is MoCA 1.1, 170 just like the channelmasters. It can act as a Gb switch, which I see no use for and is just a gimmick to get people to spend more on the device than the Channel Masters. It's only a Gb switch, if you have Gb ethernet running into it, at which point, you only have one port left. Furthermore, if you can run ethernet to the devices location, then one does not need this device.

MoCA 2.0 could be capable of close to Gb. Good luck finding any equipment available to the end user. If you do, please PM me.